Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:38 PM
BrooklynTherapist

Default Informal/Casual

I'm a bit bewildered by the dress codes aboard Celebrity. I have figured out the formal attire (after much thought). Before you reply, know that I am in my late 20s, so please don't suggest sequins or beads, those items are reserved until I am in my 50s.

Dressy capris: only casual or acceptable at informal as well?

Cute dress (though not dressy): only casual or informal as well?

Any additional insight is appreciated.

I have a long, black dress that I plan to wear for the first formal night and a shorter black dress (varied lengths on bottom) for the second formal night. Please help with the other 5 nights of my cruise aboard Celebrity Century to Western Caribbean.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Informal/Casual

Hello there Brooklyn T:

Just wear what you want. Make sure you'd wear it to dinner or a club in NYC.

Hope that helps.

I swear I'm only lazy when there's sand!
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Admiral

you are on the right track with your outfits -the black dresses will be just perfect for the formal nights. Exactly how dressy are your capris and what type of top are you planning on putting with them? When it comes to informal i go with this general guideline if its something that i would wear to a cocktail party or out to dinner at a nice restaurant downtown then it would be just fine for informal nights.
Casual for me means - sundress or sheath dress, capris and a cute top, dockers type pants and a nice blouse or a nice skirt/blouse, flat or low heeled sandals.
Just know that Celebrity is bit dressier than some of the other cruise lines, you would be better off thinking that you are overdressed as opposed to underdressed.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:36 PM
BrooklynTherapist

LisaK,

Thanks so much for your advice. As far as "dressy capris," I'm talking about black capris with long slits up the sides of the leg (they flow at the bottom) with a halter or tube top (I guess along tyhe lines of something worn to a club). After reading your response, I'll save those outfits for the casual nights and wear my less dressy dresses for the informal nights.

Alazybeachbaby,

Our idea of club clothing in NYC might frighten some of the older passengers aboard the Century. After we booked, we learned that Celebrity passengers tend to be older. I don't want to be responsible for anyone's cardiac arrest

Thanks again to both of you for your advice!

9 days and counting!!!
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Classy Dresser

To BrooklynTherapist,

A tube top with slit pants seems a little low class. A little beading on a dress is by no means (50's and up). I am 30 and disagree with that. I think you need top get some fashion advice.
Old August 6th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Yeoman

It really depends on age and body condition. What is fine for a twenty-year-old professional vollyball player often won't work for a sedentary fourtysomething.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:02 AM
sls

Just remember some parts of the ship can get cold from airconditioning so you might want to bring a shawl.

sls
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Dear Brooklyn;
actually the way you described your capris they might just work for informal nights, my best advise would be to pack them and your dress and go with the flow of the ship. See what the majority of the passengers are wearing on the first informal night and go from there. I would choose the halter over the tube-to, pair it with strappy sandals and a pretty shawl to throw over your shoulders.
Celebrity's passengers are bit more traditional when it comes to ships attire.
Celebrity is a class act all the way and the passengers attire reflects that.
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:05 AM
BlahBlahBlah

Yes, I can certainly see the class of the passengers after reading ClassyDresser's eloquent reply. Generally those who describe themselves as classy are the ones who are lacking.

If you're wearing beads and sequins at 30, I think YOU are the one in need of the fashion police.
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:22 AM
BrooklynTherapist

ClassyDresser,

The same thing could have been said using more tactful words. Perhaps simply stating that a tube top may not be appropriate would have been much less offensive than the words you chose.

The capri pants I referred to are quite tasteful. Perhaps my description lost something upon reading it; however, it is often difficult to convey a clothing description in writing.

As I previously stated, I appreciate the majority of the opinions I received but have decided to wear what I choose. If someone is offended by anything I wear, I'm sure s/he will manage to continue his/her cruise and enjoy it.
Old August 7th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Hey B.T.,
I'm sorry Miss Classy Dresser doesn't have classy manners. I too felt that it seemed pretty rude. It actually hurt my feelings, that anyone would say such a thing to someone they don't even know, not only that but she hasn't even seen the tube top or carpi's.
I say wear the tube top with a great necklace and find a shawl incase you get cold.

Take care and have fun.
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:36 PM
trish1c

Club dress by NYC standards is probably a bit over the top for some folks.

Better suggestion: think country club, golfing, you know -- stereotypical Conneticut. :-)

As for formal nights, you will see a bit of everything. Generally people are dressed well. If you've ever been to a formal charitable event in NYC, you get the idea. Look in the Sunday society section of the NY Times if you want an example.

If you could wear it to a nice restuarant you're probably fine.
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:08 PM
BrooklynTherapist

Trish, I agree wholeheartedly about NYC club wear being too "over the top" for a Celebrity cruise. That's why I never considered bringing anything like that aboard.

I've finally settled my clothing dilemma. The dresses are ready to go.

If I find anyone akin to "classydresser" on the ship, I'll break out a skimpy outfit just for fun. Otherwise, appropriate attire will be worn.

Just a few days to go!
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
JaneMarlow

Ha! Brooklyn Therapist...I understand that! I am 39 and have/will not sport sequins!

Though I understand other people of all ages like them.

A few nice black frocks with appropriate accessories with do just fine.