Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Melanie H

Default How to pack my dress

I need help should i pack my formal dress in just my suit case or should i get one of those bags. I ended up going with a prom dress. What do u think i should do??????/
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: How to pack my dress

Hi Melanie,
I would pack it in a garment bag wrapped in the plastic cleaner bags, no wrinkles that way.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Melanie H

Thank you so much. I think i will end up going with that do you know where i can get an ok one or a nice one at.? I don't want to spend to much money on it though. Because i don't cruise all that much and i never take vacations where i would need one.
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

My daughters, who are now 24 & 19, have been been on about 8 cruises and they have always packed their formals (prom dresses) in their large suitcase without any problems. The dress is the last thing to be packed so its right on the top. They just fold it in half (or with the least amount of folds as possible). When they get on the ship, they unpack as soon as possible and they have never had a problem with wrinkles. But, if you do end up finding your dress to be too wrinkled, you can send it to be pressed on the ship. We've never had to do that, though.

Post Edited (08-11-04 12:43)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Melanie H

Thanks Laurie, I think i will end up doing that just packing it last. Have fun on Monarch i went on that ship in Feb And so far it was the best one that i have gone i have been on 3. Have you been on explorer? Thanks again
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:31 PM
trish1c

If all else fails, after everything you went through to go on the cruise, pay the $4-5 & send it out to be pressed. It's the best! Most times it's cheaper than your cleaners at home.
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How to pack my dress

I got a tip on this website recently about taking Downey Wrinkle release and also was told that although irons are confiscated, clothes steamers were allowed, but the ship's prices for pressing seem to be quite low.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Melanie H.

I've not been on the Explorer but I've been on 2 other voyager class ships, the Voyager & just recently, the Adventure, and I would assume they are all pretty much the same. I absolutely loved both of them. You will love the Explorer too, I'm sure.

Have a wonderful cruise!

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Leigh-Anne

You could always hang it in the bathroom with a hot shower running and kind of steam it yourself
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Melanie H

Thank you so much everyone for the help. It means alot thanks again. Happy cruising to you all.

we sail october 10th on explorer
Old August 15th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Robin Jackson

Default Re: Re: How to pack my dress

I second the motion on just packing it in your suitcase. I did that with no problem. Of course it might depend on the material of the dress.

Taking a garment bag is too much trouble for me.