CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Black & Decker Travel Steamer? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294466-black-decker-travel-steamer.html)

BrooklynTherapist August 11th, 2004 10:05 PM

Black & Decker Travel Steamer?

Ok, I bought a travel iron, but now I'm worried that it wll be confiscated. I saw the Black & Decker travel steamer for $20 today. Has anyone used it? Does it work well?

sirena August 12th, 2004 06:05 PM

Re: Black & Decker Travel Steamer?

I also was told by previous cruisers that the irons were confiscated. Where did you find a Black and Decker Travel steamer? I have found a lot of travel iron steamer/dry iron combination but not the steamer alone. Also, how much water capacity does your steamer have?

MI5 August 12th, 2004 08:11 PM

I have the B and D travl iron/steamer. I alway use it on the steam settings and it works good. I also had just a normal steamer. It was sold on TV infomericials called the Steamer Iron{or something like that}It worked great but after about 10 yrs if finally died. I liked the idea you could use it on clothes that were still on the hanger. As for having Irons confiscated-I have always taken an iron on our cruises and never had it taken away. . I once asked our cabin steward about my iron and he said I am not souppose to use it but I long as I was careful it was ok. If the cruise ship has a landry/iron room-I usually just use theirs for its easier. Usally the first night on the ship before dinner{we goto the late seating}I take all my clothes that need ironing and iron them . It is usally empty and than I dont have to worry later on about it.

JC

BrooklynTherapist August 13th, 2004 12:38 AM

I found the B & D Travel Steamer (it's not an iron, just a steamer) at a Rite-Aid for $20.

sirena August 13th, 2004 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Black & Decker Travel Steamer?

Brookly Therapist - Thanks so much! I am headed to the local Rite Aide and if they don't have the Black and Decker Steamer there, I'll look it up in their web site! What part of Brooklin do you come from? I love New York - spent a year there and went all over the city. Went to the Brooklyn Zoo and my cousin went to Brooklyn College.

sirena August 13th, 2004 08:29 AM

Re: Re: Black & Decker Travel Steamer?

Brookly Therapist - Thanks so much! I am headed to the local Rite Aide and if they don't have the Black and Decker Steamer there, I'll look it up in their web site! What part of Brooklin do you come from? I love New York - spent a year there and went all over the city. Went to the Brooklyn Zoo and my cousin went to Brooklyn College.

mazeke August 14th, 2004 08:02 PM

A travel steamer is the way to go. I purchased ours for our first cruise in '97. I take it on every cruise and the first afternoon on board I steam all the wrinkles out of everything and then I am done for the week. I bought ours at K-Mart. I'm sure WalMart has them too.

jfd August 18th, 2004 09:59 PM

I just got one at walmart. i doesn't work that great.

LisaK August 19th, 2004 09:45 AM

personally i don't bother with them. I either use the iron in the laundry room down the hall, or i hang my clothes in the bathroom, turn on the shower full hot and close the door. Have also heard that the Downy Wrinkle Reducer works great.

jeleja August 25th, 2004 09:30 PM

I hung our clothes up the minute our bags got to our room and honestly, the wrinkles came out. I brought a big spray bottle of Downey wrinkle release but never needed to used it. I was also told that irons were a fire hazard and would be confiscated.

kyriecat August 26th, 2004 12:06 PM

I found the Black and Decker steamer (others too) on Amazon.com. It is offered from the Sportsman's Guide for $12.97 + $5.99 shipping. I ordered one so hopefully it will work okay. I bought some Downy wrinkle releaser too.

seawench August 29th, 2004 03:29 PM

I brought a travel iron on the Zuiderdam last year & no one touched it. My mom & sister also brought one, no problem.
The Z does not have a laundry room.

Carol Pullen September 14th, 2004 10:13 PM

I have tried a couple and the one that works the best is "my little steamer". It is sold on HSN. It is on air every few months but can probably be purchased from their web site at any time. It really works great at getting wrinkles out.

Carol

alison1170 September 22nd, 2004 08:14 AM

Ive brought a steamer on several cruise without a problem. Now I just carry a bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release. Works great and is a lot faster! Plus its safer (my son burned himself once). You can find it in the laundry section of most stores.

alison

jfd September 27th, 2004 04:38 PM

I came back from my cruise, decided not to take the steamer--I don't think it works well.
Princess has spray bottles in the laundry room and all my clothes did great after hanging them or putting them in the bathroom (which has very little ventilation). I would not drag my steamer in the future either.

dusty November 17th, 2004 09:05 AM

sirena

i have a procter silex steamer that i paid about $10 for at walmart. i love it. i just put the water in, let it warm up and hold and use on any wrinkles i might have and they dissapear. it is great. i use it at home as well for fast wrinkle fixing on anything i need to wear.

Maggie December 5th, 2004 08:16 PM

Rowenta also makes a pretty good steamer- I bought one on ebay for $12 and it works great- I needed it to steam my wedding gown and veil and it worked like a charm.

I brought it on my last cruise but wouldn't bother again, the shower works fine to steam your clothing and doesn't add weight to your luggage. :)