Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Yeoman

Default hat?

Do you ladies pack a straw hat for sun protection? If so, how do you pack it? I don't think it would be very easy to take it on the plane.

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM
rjack22

Default Re: hat?

You can buy hats (not straw) that will pack into a suitcase and not crush. That is what I recommend.

If you have to have a straw hat then the best way to pack it is to wear it on your head.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Admiral

I got a really cute hat at Wal-Mart. It's like a baseball cap but with a bigger brim - so it keeps the sun off my whole face - had a recent scare with skin cancer so I no longer want to take chances. They come in all colours and don't even look dorky lol. They will also pack very well. I should think you could by a straw hat in any port and that way it becomes a souvenir as well. Enjoy your cruise - not long now lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM
cruiseprincess0162

yea they have crushable hatts almost everywhere.. My mom always packs hats on cruises. We went on a cruise once and she brought 14 hats and bought one. It was mad crazy.
Jenna
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Admiral

if your hat is straw do as a lot of other ladies do, carry it with you.
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:01 PM
JaneMarlow

I just wear the hat the day of travel so I don't have to pack it. Then I can put it in the cabin/room on arrival.
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:22 PM
Yeoman

I don't have one yet. I was just trying to figure out what to buy. It seems like a big straw hat would give better sun protection, but what would you do with it on a plane? If we didn't have to fly in to FLL, I'd just wear it to embark like Jane said.

Carnival Inspiration
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too have a cute baseball hat and a straw hat that I take and I recently bought a white cloth one. I put the ones that can get squished in a back pack that I take with me on the plane.
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie

I went to EMS (camping store) and bought a unisex Columbia field hat. It's crushable, easy to wash, and dries very quickly when wet. The crown collapses so I just flatten it and put it on top of my clothes in the suitcase. It cost me about $30 and was worth every penny.
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Mary Jane

I juat got a cute and practical hat the the county fair. It will be so much better than a straw hat, which I hated lugging to and from and everywhere. This one is treated with 45 spf is foldable, teflon treated ,, has a pocket for ice pack. has a long part that hangs to protect neck. I know Im ready for the safari or something...Anyway I hope it works out..I couldnt resist. It seems like the perfect hat. YOu could look for it and others I believe at www.Adamsheadwear.com sunblock collection....