Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:40 PM
DeLane

Default guyabera for formal dining

Cruising Western Caribbean Sept 5th on Carnival Inspiration. Will guyaberas (fancy dress shirts worn outside of dressy pants -- seen frequently on S. American men) be ok for formal nights. The ones we got are pretty heavily embroidered white on white -- not colors.
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2004, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: guyabera for formal dining

I think a tie is needed for formal nights - but the guyabera would be great for the other evenings in the dining room. TTFN Jennifer
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Since it is a dress shirt and you will be wearing it with dress pants, i don't see a problem, especially on Carnival which is one of the most casual lines when it comes to the dress code.
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Admiral

The Guyerbara is a very nice shirt from the Spanish islands in the tropics. However, by American standards, and you will be cruising with the majority of American's, it is not formal enough. A suit or tux is requested, even on the many wonderful Carnival ships! I found at least 50% of the men wore a tux on Carnival as they also did on Celebrity. When the ladies get dressed up, so don't the men. Have a wonderful cruise. If you don't own a suit, rent a tux on-board.
Bon Voyage
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Admiral

DeLane - are these shirts considered formal wear in their country of origin? They could make for interesting conversation. What i would do is to pack the traditional suit for your man and pack the guyabera & the dress pants, then go with the flow of the cruise. The first formal night is dressier than the second.
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Yeoman

It is often considered polite for hosts to acknowledge the formal attire of a guest's culture as formal attire for the guest. However, I don't believe that rationale extends to cover guests adopting a style of formal attire unrelated to either the host's culture or their own.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

Default Re: Re: guyabera for formal dining

My observations concerning guyabera shirts on the Latin American mainland is that they seem to becoming passe with many of the younger generation [sigh]. Male attire for the more upper-class Latin American parties I observed from a remove (after all, I wasn't invited) during my hotel stays seem more geared towards jackets and ties, although the older and more traditional guys do wear guayaberas.

I have packed guayabera shirts for my own cruises. I think that they are neat-o, and are suitable for smart casual and semi-formal, although the one that'll really catch attention is the long-sleeved version.

As an aside, I remember seeing a photo of Ronald Reagan on a wall of a Miami shop where I bought a couple of my guayaberas. There he was in a long-sleeved white guyabera at an inter-American summit that he bought at shop X.

I may have strong political disagreements with the 40th President of the United States of America, but I know for a fact that he was definitely a sharp dresser. If the Gipper wore it, you've got a strong argument.