Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Passenger

Default A Knife on Board! Oh My!

My husband and I never go anywhere without being prepared, meaning our multitools. (He has a Leatherman, but I have a GERBER!) Are we allowed to take these items onto a cruise ship post 9-11?

P.S. How do you people get that little tape at the bottom of your message that says how long it is until your trip?
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Default Re: A Knife on Board! Oh My!

I'm not sure about your tools, but I think as a general rule, if you can't carry it on a plane it won't be allowed on the ship. As for the clock.... at the end of the "reply to message" block where you post a message, there is a "message board tricks" line you can select. Under Images is the clock string of commands. Just highlight and copy the entire string, go to "My Profile" and paste it in your signature line. From there you change the number to your specific cruise date. Hope that helps. Jana

Zuiderdam to the Western Caribbean, 9-18-04
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Sorry, forgot to say that after you go to "My Profile" you have to select "Edit Profile" before you can paste the string. After you make changes be sure to click on "Update Profile" before you leave the page. Jana

Zuiderdam to the Western Caribbean, 9-18-04
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:09 PM
sls

If it's in your packed luggage it will get through. I've taken sissors onboard a ship in my carry on with no problems.

sls
Old September 13th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Admiral

pack it in your checked-baggage. It will not make it thru if its in your carry-on.
Old September 13th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know anything about the types of knives you are describing (Leatherman and Gerber?), but as long as they're not overly large or threatening looking, I think you're be okay, especially in your checked baggage.

I don't think they're as careful on cruiseships as they are the airlines. Afterall, once you're onboard you will have access to knives anyway (in the dining room), so what difference does it really make if you carry on a small knife or other sharp object.

I would be hesitant to put anything like that in a carryon, since I would worry about being arrested or denied boarding by an over-zealous security agent, but in the checked luggage I think it will be okay.
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just like airlines, if it's in your checked luggage you're fine. And they won't arrest you if you forget... they just take the knife. I know of people who have forgotten and instead of handing over their knife, they go back out and find a way to mail it home. For some of us, our pocketknife is like our keys/purse/wallet... gotta have it or we aren't going anywhere.

Ice... a GERBER?? What's wrong with you, woman?

heh heh
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Ice:
A Leatherman or other type of tool or folding type of knife is allowed in your checked baggage on the plane and onboard the ship. I have taken mine on numerous cruises since 9/11.

What can be taken aboard a cruise ship and what can be taken in the cabin of an airplane are NOT the same. It would be quite silly to bar taking a pocket knife or leatherman tool from being taken onboard a cruiseship when a cork screw is delivered with wine and a steak knife is available in any dining room.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 18th, 2004, 03:08 PM
slinkiecat

I always take along a manicure kit that includes various weapons like scissors, tweezers, nail file, etc., but I do put it into my checked baggage, not my carryon. I also take a sewing kit in the checked suitcase.

slinkie

Old September 19th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Passenger

It won't get through if you have it on your person or in your carry-on. Not sure about what will happen if you back it in a suitcase.

Funny story--my DH and I went on a cruise a few years ago and he had a small Swiss Army knife in his pocket. It was confiscated at the cruise terminal in Miami and we were told to pick it up upon our return. I started to remind them that the ship would be full of knives but my husband said better to be quiet.

Anyway, when we returned to pick up the knife there was a table full of very large knives that had been confiscated. I laughed and wondered why anyone felt it necessary to bring such a large knife on vacation.

Jubilee (1990)
Tropicale (1993)
Imagination (1995)
Dawn Princess (1997)
Triumph (2001)
Pride (2002 and 2003)
Conquest (2004)
Legend (upcoming 2005)
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Passenger

Dittio! My Husbands mini pocket knife was taken from him in Mexico! He was really mad because in San Pedro it was not detected when we boarded the ship. He proceeded to tell them that he had a bigger version in his tolietry kit that we use to file our nails with! How come you can pack any size knife in your suitcase but a mini knife in your pocket will be taken away? Furious at the situation he asked if knives have been banned from the kitchen? We handed over the mini pocket knife and I retrieved it at the end of the cruise after having to ask quite a few people where the confiscated items were!
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Big Craig

I take my leatherman on all cruises, its a part of me. period. but always put it in checked bags when flying. Thats right cruising and flying are not the same, thousands laid off from airlines so the greedy ceos can lower the pay scale to cruise line wages. period.
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Yeoman

I wouldn't call $110,000.00 per year, "cruise line wages."

Old November 26th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Passenger

check with your cruise line. we encountered a passenger from a carnival cruise (8/04) whom the airline allowed to travel with a knife in his checked luggage but was confiscated prior to boarding by carnival staff. although the passenger was given a receipt to collect the knife upon disembarkation it had "mysteriously dissapeared".
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM
hydro-terp

I recall at least one cruise since 9/11 that I noticed a "No Weapons Beyond This Point" sign when you got on at the metal detector. I guess the definition of weapon is open to interpretation.

I could see where they would take it from you if you tried to carry it on. I think its pretty silly as its has been stated above there are tons of knives everywhere on the ship once you board.

My Gerber is coming with me in my checked luggage. Im not going to walk around with it or take it ashore so it will be in the cabin the whole time. It might not be a bad idea to leave it in the luggage the whole time to as I dont know if it would startle the horses when it comes to the room steward.

I wouldnt think of traveling without it. You never know when you might need to reattach the wheel on you rolling luggage or fix the handle after the gorillas at the airport twist it out of its socket.
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Yeoman

I have one of those purses that's stuffed with everything. On a recent flight, I got through at least 4 security points. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I had a folding knife in my mess of stuff. I guess I had soooo much in that purse they figured I wouldn't be able to find it even if I wanted to attack somebody.

I've never had my bags searched at a cruise line terminal except for coming out of Montego Bay. They searched my bags but not my pockets. Smart bunch of people huh?
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Passenger

Two years ago on RCCL my husband had his Leatherman confiscated from his luggage and held until after the cruise. Last year, however, he had his dive knife (a wicked weapon!) with his scuba gear and RCCL never batted an eye.