Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:09 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re:What are the things you wish you brought?

Fishing License holder with a strap! They work great for holding the sail&sign, ID and a bit of cash around your neck while at port. Have you ever tried to put all that in a bikini? I sure didn't want all that in my beach bag while I was 59 feet away playing in the water.

Don't forget to mark your luggage with a big colorful something. When you go to pick up your luggage after the cruise, you will find a sea 9000 black suitcases all on a warehouse floor. Mark yours with something that you can spot 1/2 mile away. Some people were using yellow rubber gloves! Hey, it worked.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Lots of film. I ran out and had to buy it on the ship. Never again. My husband laughed at me since he uses a digital camera and I still use a film camera.

We mark our lugguage by tying colorful bandanas around the handles.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Forgot on last post--

What we found better than duct duct because it's easier to work with and not as bulky is blue painters tape. It also doesn't damage anything you stick it to. We got the one inch thick size but we only used it once when one of my garment bag hangers cracked.

Have agreat day
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just bought a great fishing license holder (www dot nationalleash dot com), for the S&S card and cash etc.... its waterproof too!

I used the downy wrinkle release

travel packs from The container store make packing easy!

last cruise I goofed and got a travel alarm clock that you had to touch a button before it lit up, made it hard to tell what time it was in the dark, I won't make that mistake again!

a sweater, it gets chilly in the dining room and lounges

a rolling backpack for excursions (we used it to take our sodas onboard in)

waterproof sunscreen is a must!

manicure kit w/ small scissors and a travel sewing kit

I will take fewer shoes, less jewelry, more books
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought this might help too. My friend and I cruised last year and we used the pipe cleaners (long and fuzzy) to "lock" our suitcases with. That way if security has to open them, they don't have to cut the lock off. My suitcase got inspected and they put the pipe cleaner back on and twisted it back.

I felt much better having the zipper secure.

We also taped the handles of our suitcases
with different colors of electrical tape which made picking our luggage out much easier.

Hope this helps somebody.......
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

Some great ideas.... one thing I saw on the last cruise and it made me laugh was they had used saran wrap around their bags to make it easier to find in the big pile of them.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM
DENISE H

put bright ribbon or make bright pomsand put them on yourr bags so you can find your bags easyer at the airport and port take some big spray along if you go with a shore trip to the jungle we took some when we went to coatsa maya don't forget
to bring your documentswhen you go on side trip that is your signand sail card
and passport you will need this to get back on ship i hope this helps you and have a good day
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM
MSR

No wonder all of you are lugging enormous bags thru the airport!
It is much easier to simplify--make a day by day list of activities, assign outfit and accessories to each activity------revise the list downward a few times--pack and go! We go to europe or to mexico with carry-ons , 1 per family member. However, for cruises we each take a large hard-sided case or 28 inch soft case with a couple of carry-ons for the 4 of us. Just plan ahead!
We realize the importance of water to prevent dehydration in the caribbean, so each of us has a nalgene bottle to fill on board. we carrry these around to the beaches. saves the cost of the bottled water, and waiters fill them for us in lido.
we also have post-its to leave messages for each other. also bought tsa locks for usa travel to lock soft bags. also pack with lots of jumbo zip loc bags so that none of my stuff is touched by dirty hands when bags are opened for inspection. also had bag left in rain once on tarmac--helped save the contents!l
medicine kit-antibiotic cream, hydrocortisone cream, bandaids, cold and flu pills, lozenges, sinus pills, tums, sunburn cream.
copies of passports, carried in different spot from actual documents.
small spiral notebook to record impressions of trip
no computers.
cell phones--they work fine while you are still docked in florida............and totally necessary for the airport!
Keep it simple!

i bring watercolors to paint away the time!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

I returned from my January 14th, 2005 cruise on the Carnival Destiny out of Aruba (I was a middle-age guy traveling solo). I second packing a small travel clock--mine was extremely useful. I still think that a small radio/CD player is a blessing if you have cabin activities and you don't want silence or to look at the boob tube.

I agree that bringing aloe is a good idea. I got a sun rash after a day of walking around old San Juan and it was a blessing. I'd also recommend dramamine if you're planning to do any messing around in small boats in the southern Caribbean--I couldn't find any when I ran out in Aruba and only found some in San Juan after considerable searching.

My cabin midships on the Riviera Deck was chilly. I'm glad I packed a sweatshirt.

I ended up using shampoo when I had to run some wash using the Destiny's self-service laundromat. Since I use Paul Mitchell's Awaupuhi, that was a somewhat more costly wash than usual.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
rita cotton

WE ARE A FAMILY OF 6 GOING ON OUR FIRST EVER CRUISE FOR XMAS/NEW YEAR 05/06 DESTINATION BARBADOS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE HAVE LEFT THE UK AND WE NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GIVE US WE RANGE FROM 14-65 YEARS IT SHOULD BE GOOD PLEASE HELP!!!
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

Armed with duct tape and a few Q-tips one can accomplish great things. As one great philosopher stated while standing atop Mt. wannahockalugie, "He who hath duct tape shall rule the universe".

I don't know about ruling the whole universe but I do believe duct tape makes the world go around.

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
hydro-terp

Just got back from a a cruise since finding this thread.

Some post cruise thoughts...
1) A night light is pretty indespensable. Im partial to the Indiglo kind.
2) Stickers on the door makes it easy for you and your freinds to find your cabin. They were a big hit with our group.
3) You can get by with maybe two pairs of dockers and three polo shirts. They can be recycled towards the end of the cruise as you dont really get them dirty on the ship during the evenings dinner.
4) The compressions bags they sell at Target are great for maximizing space as you can squeaze clothes down really small/flat.
4) The next time Im packing a duffle bag, or some other bag that will pack flat, to throw all the dirty clothes in and then check on the flight home freeing up luggage space for bring home goodies.
5) A covertable backpack is the thing to have for a carry-on. I bought a Columbia Express Travel Pack and this was its first trip. I can fit two changes of clothes and my other "cant live without" items in it. Campor has it on sale right now for $40 and its a steal.
6) If your cabin has a small fridge buy some sodas before you get on in the port or on the islands as you go along. I had a number of people ask me where I got my Dr. Pepper once on board. Some bottle water is a good thing to as the ones on the ship are pretty pricey. You only need a couple as you can refill them and place them in the fridge for the next day. They are nice to have on shore excursions so you dant have to fork out money on shore. Better yet get a Camelback pack for shore excursions. You can through stuff in it while you walking around and have cold water to drink until the afternoon.
7) If you the type to bring you own booze on the small necked Nalgene bottle would be the most ideal. They wont leak of break and wont retain the taste of whatever you flavor of the month is. The small neck kind would be easier to pour. Dont settle for anything but Nalgene unless you want to try and launder out the odor from your luggage contents.
8) If you pack something that wont Xray like a plate or something ceramic expect to have you bags looked at.
9) Real Cuban cigars cost money. Phonies are everywhere so dont buy any from any place other then a cigar shop. These places wont haggle.

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

my advice, bring some losser clothes for the last days of the cruise lol
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

Besides the other obvious must-haves, here are mine:
light sweater that matches everything (The deck's awfully breezy at night.)
Pepto Bismol, Tylenol & Bonine or equivalents
waterproof container for money, S&S card at beach (Love the fish license idea mentioned)
Plenty of memory on your digicam. There's nothing like running out of space on your card before your vacation's over. Been there.
a couple compact games if you're game players - Our faves are Fill Or Bust, Cinqo & Gobblet on the Go (You can get playing cards for free on Carnival ships at least. Not sure about others.)
a small tablet/notebook
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Default Re: Re: Re:What are the things you wish you brought?

<<Also a small clock radio so you know what time it is because as you might know the cabins are very dark and it's nice to know what time it is.>>

I've been trying to take your advice but I can't find a batter operated clock that has the light on all the time. Is that what you meant? Would a battery operated clock that you have to push a button work too?
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ladybug Send a message via Yahoo to ladybug

I like to bring post it notes, my I-pod for music and books, suntan oil..(too expensive on the ship), several sweaters, an inexpensive ($1.00) rain poncho, body lotion, extra dark UV protective sunglasses, lots of clips and scrunchies to put my long hair up at the pool, and a big sippy cup.

04/06 Caribbean Princess

The Crown Princess!!
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM
CruzCrazy

Bathroom Spray.....I usually bring a half empty one and then just leave it if there's any left.

Post-It notes for the mirror so I don't forget about reservations I've made....i.e. specialty restaurant, Captain's Club Cocktail party, spa appt. etc.

Highlighter for marking the schedule of events and for the shows when they change the times for later dinner seating.

Hand Steamer for wrinkled clothes and a small spray bottle of Downey's Wrinkle Releaser. It works even faster when used together

I pack a clear cosmetic bag which serves as my first-aid kit with band aids, aloe, Bonine, Immodium etc.
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:42 AM
hydro-terp

<<I've been trying to take your advice but I can't find a batter operated clock that has the light on all the time. Is that what you meant? Would a battery operated clock that you have to push a button work too?>>

I gave up on travel clocks as Ive been unable to find one thats backlit without you hitting a button to light it up. I just bring an old large number alarm clock. It doesn't take up that much space and it gives you good piece of mind. Give it a test run before you go. For some reason ours ran fast. That was pretty wierd. Ive never seen that before with an electronic clock.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to rehr

BRING YOUR IDENTIFICATION!!!! I forgot my purse at home! Carnival states that all passengers over the age of 16 must have some form of state or government issued photo identification. We called Carnival and they couldn't guarantee that I would be able to board. Luckily they didn't check, maybe because I am 17. Also, if you are traveling with teens (or absent minded adults) hold their important documents, they might or probably will lose them.

Hopeful Undetermined Cruise
Past Cruises:
Paradise 4/11/04
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Thanks for the clock advice. I've been going nuts trying to find one. We'll have a balcony room so maybe the light won't be AS important.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I have opposite work schedules and to relay messages between each other we use dry erase markers on the bathroom mirror. We know that even if we are in a rush when we stop at home we will always go into the bathroom. I have never tried this on a cruise ship, but I think it might work for families who will have people going in and out of the cabins at different times.

We tried post its, but they kept falling off of stuff ----haley

Old February 6th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Default Things We Take

1. Digital Camera - we've given film a rest and gone digital. Take several memory cards, and be careful depending on one large capacity. If it goes bad all your images are gone. I carry a gig Secure Digital card in my wallet for a backup.

2. iPod and small speakers - We create custom playlists for evenings, workouts and at night it is very nice to go to sleep with music. We got a pair of small Sony speakers for < $20.00 bucks. Also, we have preloaded a couple of books we bought on CD and that made a relaxing day at sea listening to our music and books.

3. Good first aid kit. I take a backpack to all the shore excursions, and we used it on our last visit to Chankannab while snorkeling. Most outdoors stores will have nylon case kits with ample supplies in it. As a college athletic trainer from the old days I custom pack one with other meds like Bonnine, Pepto, and a couple of good antibiotics.
(Note: Norwalk is most often viral, so antibiotics have little effect. Use OTC meds to treat the symptoms.

4. Walkie talkies. Get the good ones, with the 7-mile range. Make sure they are both GMRS and FMRS capable. This allows for higher wattage, more channels and better range. We tried the two-mile range ones on the ship and they were worthless.

5. Handheld GPS. We have had a blast with one of these, and we got several waypoints from the web and knew exactly where we were and ETA's to our ports. The last cruise we made a rainy "fun day at sea" a little more fun tinkering with the GPS.

6. Flashlight. I carry a Mag Light AAA model in my pocket on the ship from embarkation to debarkation. (Call me a geek...)

7. Phone calling cards. We give them to the cabin steward the first day, as they call home while in ports. The local Sams Club sells them by the multi-pack and we buy a ten pack of 100 min cards.

8. Nice pullover sweater, sweatshirt or golf wind shirt. We use these at some of the shows that are cold, on deck while cruising in fall and spring and as a pillow while enjoying a deck chair.

9. Duffle bag. We place it under the bed and then fill it with dirty laundry. It makes for an easy day packing for departure, and also gives room for the shopping finds into the luggage. I purchased two of the Eddie Bauer models years ago and they have little if any wear after 6 cruises.

10. Small portfolio satchel. We carry the cruise documents in it, and it serves as a good protector for the photos we buy from the cruise photography staff. Simply put, it makes an easy and handy storage carrier for the "important stuff."

11. Business cards with our family name, e-mail; and address. We have a list of friends we've met aboard and shared digital images with.

Hope this helps at least someone. Fun days cruising with your family, and the Rhapsody sails in a few weeks... a suite has our name on it!
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

wow everyone has great ideas, I never thought to bring half the items people have mentioned. Somethings I wouldn't bring and some I probally should bring <lol>, but to answer the first question. I wish I had brought more FRIENDS. lol I went with my best friend who missed his girlfriend. During the day he wrote letters and at night he was in bed early. Oh well going this year with my brother who is single but home from Iraq, I am sure he wont waste anytime having fun.

Victory any one else going?
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

The number 1 item that we used the most on a daily basis was 2 way radios. Make sure you get ones that are high powered (12 mile), have vibrate mode so you don't bother others in elevators and public areas, and privacy channels so you don't hear all the chatter (expecially the young teens, you hear some of their conversations and the things they are saying....well my daughter is 7 and approaching her teens in a few years and she would never......my little angel.......NO)

To the original posters question about how long the extension cord should be.....make sure it's very very long....after all....it has to reach back to shore to plug it in.

banker
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM
ehogan

Default Re: Re: Re: Re:What are the things you wish you brought?

We were on the Star last September, Pacific Coastal.

The ship is lovely, make sure you try the fish and chips in the little snack bar they have (I can't remember the name of it) My husband says he is forever spoiled.

Dress on this ship is pretty casual - even formal nights were not as dressy as some other ships we have been on. However, men will not be allowed in the dining room without a jacket and tie on formal night.
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wish I had brought more t-shirts. I never seem to have enough.
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Bill W

We have been on 2 cruises. On the first one, we learn that you should bring a carry-on bag with swim wear. With the lowest fare tickets, your luggage will take a few hours to reach your room. With a carry-on, you go to your cabin, change and go by the pool and bar, relax and enjoy the afternoon.

Late in the afternoon, your luggage will be in your cabin and you will have enjoyed the day.

Bill W
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

small bills, 1's and 5's for tipping

banker
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Passenger

I've found fun luggage 'thingies' at orientaltrading.com. They have Plush Spotted Fish that tie right onto your bags (Item 6/1205) or Luau Bean Bag Keychains that hook onto any kind of zipper or bag (Item 34/47), etc. Really fun stuff that sets your bag apart from others! We never have any trouble finding OUR bags!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Beginner

How much soda were you allowed to take on? And did you try to bring any alcohol? I was curious how extensive they do search for these items....

Thanks