Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re:What are the things you wish you brought?

I learned the hard way to bring my own tea bags. All cruise ships serve tea that tastes like dishwater, so now I bring my own (Salada from Canada), since I don't drink coffee.

donna

Old March 7th, 2005, 09:21 PM
BarbaraChen

Default Re: Re: Re:What are the things you wish you brought?

Hey Matt
The "saran wrap" wasn't to identify luggage it was too keep the smells out. Even clean clothes need to be washed after a flight..smells light fuel... and this is done to keep those fumes to a minimum. I see it in Asia all the time.
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

I like to bring ear plugs, in case one person is up the other is trying to sleep, and a sleep mask, perhaps a travel pillow. Pens and paper. Address book, with important phone numbers and addresses so you can send post cards, stamps. Polarized sunglasses for glare on the water. A hat for windy days, bad hair days, sun protection. I also got some clothing with SPF 30 built in. A cover up for the pool. Comfy soft long pants, like the kind sold at Old Navy can be worn to workout, double as PJ's, or worn outdoors, when it's breezy etc. Tee shirts long and short sleeve. Reversable jackets, too colors, one coat. I also have two colored reversable long sleeve tee shirts. A good book in a small paperback size. Aqua socks, or flip fops for the pool decks, showers and other places you don't want to slip or catch athletes foot. An insulated water bottle. Powdered Gatoraide this stuff is great, it keeps you hydrated in the sun, and it's good for you if your sick. A sunblock stick, tiny size great for touch ups. An umbrella or a poncho. I also like trial size cosmetics, smaller and take up less room in purse. Trial size skin care products just use and toss. Olay makeup remover clothes great for when you feel grubby, and want to wash your face or remove makeup, they are quick and easy. Anti bacterial germ gel for clean hands anywhere. Pure Petrolium jelly lip balm in a squeeze tube, will remove water proof mascara as well. Travel toothbrush and floss. I think a swiss army knife would cover a lot of bases but not sure if the airlines let you take them.
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
hydro-terp

As far as I know you can bring on all the soda you want, or at least thats been my experience.
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

We did not leave yet, but we are planing on bringing a few small bottle of hand sanitizers. Great for to use when water is no where to be found, or for kids who can't seem to wash thier hands well enough!
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM
linda g.

Less is more. The more we cruise, the less clothing and shoes we bring. Always take a bottle of liquid detergent. (we take clothing that is easily washable and drys quickly for casual wear). Walkie talkies are a necessity: if you get separated walking in a port or want to know where a family member is on the ship, this is a valuable thing to have. The third thing would be ziploc bags; great for storing dirty clothing and packing. We always bring the both sizes of ziploc bags.
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Beginner

I read on another message board about suit or no suit? Mostly everyone stated that a sport coat, shirt, & tie is sufficient. There were also posts that stated if you were not wearing a dark suit or tux on formal night, you would stick out like a sore thumb. I would like some other opinions on this if anyone has more intuitive advice. I have never been on a cruise before and for this first one, we are starting off with a 4 night cruise.
I have also been reading the tips on previous posts. Great topic!! The duct tape, travel alarm clock, post its, nite lights, etc. are all things that have been added to my list. Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Passenger

I've been on 3 previous cruises and I really dont think you will stick out like a sore thumb....If you were to wear a t-shirt to dinner you would stick out but not if you have a tie and jacket on.

You'll always remember your first....
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Passenger

I don' t ever take liquid detergent - I never plan to waste my cruise time doing laundry, but if I MUST wash something out by hand (swimsuits) I just use shampoo!
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Passenger

I read an article in Budget Travel today about duct tape. Wrap it around a pencil or pen and it dosen't take up any room.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Normally, your queen/king size bed is between the window and desk, where the electrical outlet is located. 15 feet??

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Yeoman

Less dress clothes..........needed more jeans or casual clothes.
We listened to too much bad advice and only brought 1 pair of Levis!

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
CruzCrazy

I agree with momx4 bring more casual clothes, especially if you are going to the Caribbean. Today's weather in Aruba was in the 90's but felt like 106 degrees. You might want to change your clothes more often in that kind of weather.

Bring more tops than bottoms, then you can just mix and match.

Formal wear you can get by with a long black skirt, tops or pants. Use jewelry to dress up an outfit.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
KnD

Default Re:What are the things you wish you brought?

how safe and useful are my digital camera and camcorder? i have heard that the humidity would mess them up, what are your experiences?
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:25 AM
hydro-terp

We havent had any trouble with our dig camera but our camcorder wasnt happy going from the climate controled areas of the ship and then going outside. It may need a good cleaning though. Thats a waste as I checked at Best Buy and a cleaning cost as much as the camera.

We pretty much leave the camcorder at home anymore and just take the digital camera. We burn our pics onto CD's when we get home. Newer DVD players recognize jpg files of digital pictures put on CD so we throw them in the player and have a high tech slide show on our TV. Those tropical pics look oh so great on a 36 inch Sony flat screen.

One thing you should do is at a minimum take a ziplock bag with you to throw the camera in if you go to the beach or get caught in a down pour on shore. Sand is very bad for delicate stuff like that, as is water. A "Pelican" case or something like it is ideal and they run around $30 or less depending on the size you need.

These cases arent bad either and may be a little cheaper/sportier.

http://www.otterbox.com/

They even make boxes that are water proof to like 100 feet and have external manipulating buttons to turn your digital camera into an underwater camera.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:02 PM
Muriel

Check the ship company you are sailing with. Carnival offers Tux and formal wear rentals. Last year we rented a tux from Carnival for $75.00. My husband had full use of it the entire cruise. It was awesome because we didn't have to pack one to bring along, which meant more room for purchases in the suitcase!
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Passenger

<<Less is more. The more we cruise, the less clothing and shoes we bring. >>

It's the opposite for me, unfortunately! lol
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Air freshner for the bathroom! Cabins can get really small at certain times if you know what I mean!

Old June 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

An "unlimited" expense account!!!!!!!!

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Instead of Duct Tape, how about Hockey Tape. I even have one use you ladies will die laughing at but trust me it actually WORKS. Have an evening gown that you can't wear a bra with, but still need cleavage-use Hockey Tape. My daughter has been in numerous pageants and it works!

Okay, you can all stop laughing!
DeeDee
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Maddog

I was curious about this line of thoughts before we left on our first cruise, wondering how we were going to get all the stuff recommended here to the ship. As it turned out we didn't bring anything we wouldn't bring to a shore vacation.

We were on the Island Princess. All the drawers stayed shut. The bed stayed together. The outlet in the bathroom and on the desk were enough. The Alaska twilight was enough of a background lighting when we went to bed and the bathroom light was not that far away. The bathroom had great ventilation. The iron and ironing board in the laundry worked. The two loads of laundry done were not worth carrying soap. Left the GPS receiver at home - I figured if the ship got lost they were not going to listen to me tell them they made a wrong turn. I may have felt differently if a fog had set in when we were being tendered to and from the ship. Didn't bring along Walkie talkies as we planned on doing things together and if we got separated we knew we'd meet up at the room before meal time.

I did bring extra film and memory sticks for the cameras. When I needed extra batteries for the digital camera, they were not much more ashore than at home. If you have to resupply or pickup something in the ships store plan on paying premium prices for standard items in small quanties. Batteries on the ship were twice as much as they were ashore and a box camera was over $16.

Next cruise I'll pack less of everything unless I'm on an around the world cruise. But then I'll have the butler take care of things like that. Hahahahaha.

If you pack as if you were going on vacation ashore in the same location as your cruise you'll have the stuff you need.
Old June 18th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I used zip lock bags. The small and the large. They were used for many different things. I also took tea bags, because the ships tea is instant. i took a plactic pitcher, and made sun tea. the ice container was always full, so ice wasn't a problem.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Passenger

Default TIDE cubes of detergent

Maggie...

Where did u buy TIDE cubes of detergent? That sounds like a good tip.
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default annoying

Quote:
If you are with a group, do NOT leave home without hand held radios. Ours are by Cobra, and my DH uses them for hunting. They worked great, and we would've been lost without them!This is one of the most annoying things on a ship. next to cell phones.
ESPECIALLY if the volume is turned up.

These SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED on board

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Captain

here are few things that i bring glad air freshener, nigh light, inscent
repellant and magnifyling glass if you need to read small print[/img]
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to 1SIKALTI

benedrill(sp) i caught a rash from the suntaning lotion
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I never thought of the power strip and we have been on 5 cruises. This is a great idea that I will remember when we cruise on the Conquest this month.
After a friend had a drowning scare in Cozumel, we began taking a foam noodle with us. We are in our mid 50's and feel a little more secure with this. If you are not familiar with this, it is about 5 feet long and about 3-4 inches in diameter and will hold two people afloat. I put it into my largest suitcase and bend it around 3 sides. It is also a good cushion for items in the case.

We use our cell phone as our alarm clock. Just keep it charged. It won't work on board once you sail (for phone calls) but the alarm works great.

We always take dramamine for hubby and I take prescription nausea patches due to having some inner ear/vertigo problems.

We take all meds, jewely and enough clothes for 1st night and 1st morning on in our carry on bag. Sometimes the luggage is very late getting to cabin and this comes in handy.

Try to take some basic black dress slacks or skirts with different tops so you can wear them a couple of nights for dinner.

Pack a couple of tote bags for souvenirs. Don't take the ship's beach towels ashore. They get lost or stolen and you will be charged a hefty price for them. I pack a couple of $3. towels, swimsuits, snorkels, sunscreen a beach shoes (a necessity in water due to rocks) in a backpack and check it with the luggage. When we go ashore to the beach, we just grab the bag. When the towels are wet, I discard them, to keep from having to carry the extra weight.

Our camera was stolen last trip and we spent $20 per disposable camera on board. Take plenty of film or cameras with you.

Last - I tie brightly colored wide ribbons to every piece of luggage, checked and carry on. It is a huge help when looking for your luggage in the hallway and at the terminal.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:17 AM
Passenger

1. Preprinted address labels for luggage.

2. a document portfolio for keeping important papers in one place and protected.

3. Eye glasses repair kit.
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Passenger

I'm a new cruiser, and will be going on my first cruise this summer. I'm interested in the posts about decorating your cabin door or balcony. Why? Am I missing something? I need all the room I can manage in my suitcase, I can't imagine having to pack lights.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Beginner

If you booked a balcony bring a bungee cord to tie the door open.

The ocean sounds/breeze is just awesome at night..