Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Default Norweigan Cruise lines

Has anyone been on Norweigan Cruise Lines - in particular Norweigan Star? I would love to hear feedback about the attire, the amenities, etc... etc... Will be going on Mexican Riviera cruise in December. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM
trish1c

Default Re: Norweigan Cruise lines

I have not been on the Star. I have been on NCL & enjoyed it. Freestyle Dining is great; the last thing I need on vacation is another scheduled event.

You may want to post on the NCL board; you're more apt to find people who have cruised the Star. You should also check out the ship reviews.
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Sirena,

I am also going on the Star in December, according to the embarkation day "Freestyle Daily", there is only one "formal" night during the cruise, and the dress is what I would call not quite formal. On my last NCL cruise, most ladies were dressed in nice dresses or pantsuits, while the men ran the gamut from collared, long-sleeved shirt, to khakis and polos to dark suits and tuxes.

I actually look forward to formal nights, because I enjoy "dressing to impress", but as long as you are not in a jeans and a t-shirt, you should be ok.

Hope this helps

Bill

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
Mark Twain
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Norweigan Cruise lines

Thanks Bill
Does anyone know whether the Norweigan Star carries diet 7 up? If it does not, can I carry on a couple of bottles of diet 7 up? I was told that you are allowed to carry on a couple of bottles of wine or champagne and just pay corkage fee. I hope this is the same for soda and water bottles. Also, how to I access the NCL Freestyle daily? Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Sirena,

Norwegian bars carry diet Sprite if you don't mind the substitute. Otherwise, you can carry soda or bottled water onto the ship.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much, Ed! I will bring some bottled water for excursions and the suite now that I know it is allowed - but the diet sprite is close enough to diet seven up to keep my craving under control. I appreciate your input as this will be my very first cruise and wouldn't know what to expect without all of the helpful advice and experiences shared on this site.
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM
happy ks

I was on NCL Star, not in Mexico, but Hawaii. Just a small bit of advise. Dress for formal night, if you wish, but go to a different dining venue than Versailles. Versailles is a lovely room, but there can be a huge line to wait in for dinner. We opted to go to Endless Summer on that night, the same food and we liked the service much better in that room. As we had our dinner, we could see the long lines for photographs, some of the people were still waiting in those lines after we finished our dinner. Then, we walked by Versailles and there was a crush of people waiting to be seated.

NCL Star is a beautiful ship and we would go again in a heartbeat. Don't pass up the opportunity to eat in the specialty restaurants. Save Versailles for breakfast and lunch, stay away from the buffet. Try the Sangria in the Tappas Bar, if it is still there, yummy.

Have an awesome cruise!
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Happy ks:
Thanks for the advice - any and all advice is very much appreciated and will do as you suggest. We are so looking forward to this first cruise!
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Passenger

We were on the Star in June for the Alaskan cruise. Although we were so disappointed in the food served on this ship (especially the buffet), there were several things that were great.

I spent several mornings in the spa at the rear of the boat, the hot tubs and pool are free to use and it was never crowded. Also, you MUST take time to see Stan Sykes, he was in the Kareoke lounge every evening and we enjoyed him very much. The big shows at night were great as well. The ship itself was clean and beautiful, but nothing compared to the Royal Carribean cruises I have been on. Take time to see Stan, you won't be sorry!
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Sirena,

My niece is on the Star right now for her honeymoon.

For port info and questions, try posting on the Mexico board, too. These are some great ports.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!