Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Default Luggage

The luggage we have put together. So much for packing light !

My last estimate was three check in large hard luggage pieces, Two soft roller carry on and two totes.

Someone please tell us that amount is not insane. Opinions , options and solutions all welcomed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM
trish1c

Default Re: Luggage

You are overpacking.

For two people on a 7 day cruise we woudl take:

2 carry ons -- 1 each
1 large suit case
1 hanging garment bag.

Be sure to mix up the clothes in each. We included full snorkeling gear & 3 cameras in our stuff.

Solution: You need less than 1/2 the day time clothes you are taking; you'll live in swimsuits. Do not bring the "kitchen sink" with you. You probably are taking too many shoes. Open all the bags & remove 1/2 the clothes. Repack in fewer bags & have a great trip.
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Yeoman

Keep in mind also that if you do run out, you can and probably will pick up a few souvenir tee shirts! I always overpack and each year I say I wont do it again. Ive gotten better though. I take a pair of black dress shoes, tennis shoes, and a pair of sandals for the beach. I bring a few pair of shorts and a shirt for each day , two bathing suits, and for dinners I usually try to bring only a two pairs of pants with different tops. I dont get really dressed up for dinner (a dressy pants outfit is my limit) so I mix and match that too. I have enough to haul for my 2 yr old son so I dont need to be bogged down!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Admiral

you also need to take into consideration the airlines weight restrictions, get a scale, weigh your bags. We did that at home and we were over the limit so for 3 people we needed to take some clothes out of the 2 big bags and pack them into a smaller bag. We ended up with 2 big suitcases,1 medium suitcase, 1 garment bag, 1 bag for the snorkel gear, 1 carry-on, 1 backpack, 1 camera bag, and a small collapasible bag packed into the suitcase for beach stuff and souveniors. This works out perfect for us.
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ouch. That sounds like a LOT of stuff. How long is your cruise?? For a 7 day cruise I take ONE checked bag and a purse. If it won't fit into one suitcase, you don't need it.

Things I've learned I need LESS of:

toiletries (bring small or sample sizes)
makeup (keep it simple and bring sample sizes)
shoes (walking shoes, dress shoes and neutral sandals)
t-shirts (I really don't need one for every day AND more for casual nights)
books (bring magazines that you can leave behind or share)
pants (stick with solid colors to wear again, not floral that you wear once)
socks (I never wear them, I just think I will)

Mix and match solid colors plus printed tops. I usually start with navy as my base and work from there.

Bring ONE pair of dressy black pants or black skirt for formal nights (with a dressy top) and an informal night (with a sweater set or blouse). Take one pair of plain black shoes with a mid heel. I clip on rhinestone clips for formal night and wear them plain on informal. Light sleeveless dresses don't weight much or take up a lot of room... bring a white cardigan that you can throw over your shoulders at night or top a pair of chinos and a T on casual night.

Hope this helps someone!
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Ditto on the above message, If you don't use it at home, you will not need it on the cruise
The less the better. I don't even bing the hair dryer, thay have them on the ship, and the shampoo,conditioner are there too. Take half the clothes, and twice the money. have a great time. you will live in swim suits and shorts for the caribbean. Only take 1 good dress and fancy it up with accessories. You will be suprised what a little imagination can do. take 3 pairs of shoes.. 1 for the beach, 1 for casual, 1 for dress.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Julia N

I spent a week on Cunard's Caronia last month with only my carryon! The airline lost my luggage and the bag didn't catch up until I go home! The ship did give me free and expedited laundry service and I did a quick shop for neccessities in Ireland. This was my eighth cruise and I found it amazing how little I could get by with. Pack half of what you think you need, but overpack your carry-on. You'll really appreciate it as you breeze through the airport and customs!

Just relax and have a good time,
Julia
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Champagne Girl

Default Re: Re: Luggage

That is way to much luggage. Are you sure you want to lug all that stuff around the airport, in and out of the cars, etc. etc.

For me, I am a one suitcase packer, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't come with me.

Hubby and I will be on a 16 day cruise next year, we will each pack one suitcase (under the airline weight limit) and small carryon bag each. That's it. Keep life simple, pack light.
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Yeoman

How many people are you packing for? You don't mean that you personally are taking that much do you?

Carnival Inspiration
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
kareng

Pack one duffle type bag to put your laundry in and then check it at the airport with your regular luggage. Clears out space in your suitcase for souvenirs and also keeps all the dirty laundry together for when you get home
Old December 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Think it depends on the cruise line you are using, viz you would have no need of "formals" on a Norwegian Cruise Line trip, but your would need them on say Crystal ,Seabourn or Cunard.
I do disagree with "you will live in your swimsuit" Even if you really do wear your swimsuit for hours and hours to sunbathe, you still have to have a cover up for public areas . You also need to consider shore trips, where and what type. Almost all brochures remind passengers that other cultures do prefer tourist respect their views when visiting shrines, temples church or museums A strapless sun top is NOT the dress for a visit to say the Vatican. Many countries are far more conservative than going to Orlando FL.
Suggest you study the back pages of your cruise lines brochure, then make a list of how you think you will spend your time on board, and then list the clothes. you will wear
Shoes are certainly something that can be overdone, one pair of evening sandals, a pr of comfortable shoes for tour walking, and a pair of sneakers for the deck I do carry more but they are all flat "no heels" soft sole sandals. Its the heels that give most problems in weight and space.
Underwear can be limited, as you can wash out your undies in the sink at night and hang them in the shower on a line, they dry quickly. Some ships have washing machines you can use check the lay out, you can give it to the cabin steward but it is expensive