Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to wraithe Send a message via Yahoo to wraithe

FWIW, Navy Uniform Regs also allow retirees to wear their uniform. I have worn either Mess Dress Blue or White on every cruise I've done, and love the attention that it brings. Not too many people have ever met a submariner and wonder about my fish and boomer pin. I've had several occasions where a parent has asked me to explain my medals to a youngster, and the ladies all seem to love watching my wife and I dance before and after dinner. In addition, for those whose uniform has "shrunk" since they mustered into Fleet Reserve, the Regs allow us to wear mini medals and mine warfare emblems on civilian formal wear per the guidelines. I'd be willing to bet that the other services allow it as well. I remarried in 2004 just before I retired, my best man and I were in Navy Full Dress Blue, one groomsman in Mariner Corp Dress Blue, and my daughters boyfriend in his Army Class A's complete with his hard earned spurs. You should have seen the attention he got explaining what he had to go through to get the spurs. I've seen Canadian and British military onboard as well, and I'd love to see Police, Fire and other emergency services personnel wear their dress uniforms.

Past Cruises:
USS Henry L. Stimson-SSBN 655 Gold (4 Patrols 1988-1991)
USS Daniel Webster-SSBN 626 Blue (Conversion Crew)
USS Nebraska-SSBN-739 Blue (5 Patrols 1995-1998)
USS Wyoming-SSBN 742 Blue (3 Patrols 2002-2004)

Grandeur of the Seas-10/28/2005 - 10/13/2006 - 10/05/2007
Mariner of the Seas-4/2/2006
Radiance of the Seas-3/17/2007

Upcoming Cruises
Grandeur of the Seas-4/12/2008 - 4/19/2008- 10/30/2008
Celebrity Century-2/9/2009
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithe
FWIW, Navy Uniform Regs also allow retirees to wear their uniform. I have worn either Mess Dress Blue or White on every cruise I've done, and love the attention that it brings. Not too many people have ever met a submariner and wonder about my fish and boomer pin. I've had several occasions where a parent has asked me to explain my medals to a youngster, and the ladies all seem to love watching my wife and I dance before and after dinner. In addition, for those whose uniform has "shrunk" since they mustered into Fleet Reserve, the Regs allow us to wear mini medals and mine warfare emblems on civilian formal wear per the guidelines. I'd be willing to bet that the other services allow it as well. I remarried in 2004 just before I retired, my best man and I were in Navy Full Dress Blue, one groomsman in Mariner Corp Dress Blue, and my daughters boyfriend in his Army Class A's complete with his hard earned spurs. You should have seen the attention he got explaining what he had to go through to get the spurs. I've seen Canadian and British military onboard as well, and I'd love to see Police, Fire and other emergency services personnel wear their dress uniforms.
The US Air Force permits retirees to wear thier uniforms also. Same rules apply as long as grooming standards are maintained (no beards, regulation haircut and, in my case, ear stud out).

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to wraithe Send a message via Yahoo to wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
The US Air Force permits retirees to wear thier uniforms also. Same rules apply as long as grooming standards are maintained (no beards, regulation haircut and, in my case, ear stud out).
That's funny, one of the last things I do before I leave the stateroom for the evening is check to make sure my little loop earring is out. I still maintain uniform reg hair and beard standards, tried to grow my hair a little and do the Van Dyke/goatee thing, but couldn't stand it. , too many years of conditioning. The last beards in the Navy were deregulated while I was in BE/E school in 1984.

Past Cruises:
USS Henry L. Stimson-SSBN 655 Gold (4 Patrols 1988-1991)
USS Daniel Webster-SSBN 626 Blue (Conversion Crew)
USS Nebraska-SSBN-739 Blue (5 Patrols 1995-1998)
USS Wyoming-SSBN 742 Blue (3 Patrols 2002-2004)

Grandeur of the Seas-10/28/2005 - 10/13/2006 - 10/05/2007
Mariner of the Seas-4/2/2006
Radiance of the Seas-3/17/2007

Upcoming Cruises
Grandeur of the Seas-4/12/2008 - 4/19/2008- 10/30/2008
Celebrity Century-2/9/2009