Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:45 PM
CruzCrazy

Default What is the lightest luggage on the market?

My husband feels that I pack too much because the bags are heavy. He also hates to spend alot on luggage since the airlines and ships always bang them up.

I blame the extra weight on the fact that we have 29" hard cases.

I've heard that TravelPro is a good line.

Does anyone know of any luggage that is nice and lightweight but sturdy?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What is the lightest luggage on the market?

Hi CC,
I recently bought 2 26" Travel pro bags and absolutely love them. We too went to these after using hard sided luggage for years, huge different in the weight. There is also space in them to have haning items, although we still use a garment bag, but not everything that hangs fits into the one garment bag we bring, so this comes in real handy. The wheels are wonderful, nice and smooth and very easy to turn, go up elevators, etc. I've noticed them on sale at one of our large retail stores, so now is a good time to check into them.....you can also find them online at E-bags.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 7th, 2004, 03:18 PM
CruzCrazy

Thanks Donna, I've heard alot about Travel Pro. I will check them out. One of our large retail stores here in Miami had them on sale, I will get over there to check them out. They have sales every year with the best one in July.

I will check out E-bags as well.

Thanks again.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Yeoman

Ive been looking at Delsey as they have something like airlight luggage??? Also, Merril (same as the shoe brand) came out with some bags that are supposed to be lighter, but Im dont know about quality. Ive used Travel Pro for a long time, but weve had problems now and then with them (zippers, wheels). Maybe theyre gotten better.

alison
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Admiral

look for soft-sided luggage made out of Nylon Cordura fabric, lightweight yet durable.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:56 AM
CruzCrazy

Thanks....for all your input. I will check into the Nylon Cordura fabric.

Last ;night I was in Macy's and I looked at the Travel Pro, but they weren't as light as the Delsey.

I've decided I like the simplier luggage without all the zippered compartments inside. I find I overfill those compartments thinking I have so much space but then when I go to close it, I can't.

My husband liked one hardcase but the salesperson said a women bought it on Friday, took a trip and brought it back for a refund on Monday, it didn't hold up. Glad I asked him.

I think I want something that is just deep with no inside pockets to worry about. I always pack undergarments, socks, in ziplock bags anyway to keep it all together.

I realize though that I definately need two 29" inchers, one garmet bag and a carry-on for meds and jewelry.

I hate to spend alot on luggage, because the airports and cruiselines really beat the heck out of them.

I'm off to check out Marshall's for a garmet bag and still look into the 'Delseys.

Thanks again.
Old November 16th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Yeoman

Check out www.ebags.com as well. Theyre always having sales and have a lot in stock. Read the reviews, and if possible look at the pieces in person before buying online (if its cheaper). Remeber to take into consideration shipping and taxes when deciding on to buy online or in store!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:55 PM
CruzCrazy

Thanks everyone, still researching but did a comparison price check on the net and

Baggageforless.com beats all the others in prices and also has free delivery with orders of $85 or more.

I'm still shopping, was in Bloomies yesterday, but I wouldn't dare buy there, their prices are so inflated even on sale.

I'll get hubby out there, he's the technical one.

So far it might be Delsey, hardcase. These are much lighter than my old Samsonites. I found some TravelPro's and what makes them lighter is the lacking of framing, but who cares if you don't have anything breakable in your case.

I'll keep you posted.

Majesty of Seas 12/13/04
Millenium 1/2/05
Voyager 5/7/05
Jewel of Seas 12/3 and 12/11
Old November 22nd, 2004, 12:59 AM
Evelyn Richardson

Magellans list the weight of the bags they sell , they have an Eagle creek bag 30' (30x17x 12-( 5500cubic in ) which weighs 8 lbs

I have not bought the case but I did buy the carryon Co-pilot bag (18x13x8) with a zip off day bag (10x6x) together the weight is only 2 lbs this is to replace my old carry one which even empty weighed more than I could lift over my head.

Hope this helps
Old December 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evelyn Richardson

I have looked at that Eagle Creek ad, I could really use the size and weight, but they do look "squashy" how would my dresses look after being in one of those for say 24 hours?

Has anyone used these? I would really like some info. I have the Pilot bag, bought it because I could not lift my carryon into the overhead bin, and hated having to ask for help.
Old December 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Yeoman

soft sided luggage

Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:07 AM
Linsifer

Do you happen to have a store called Ross Dress for Less? They have fantastic pricing on their luggage. And, they sell good, quality name brands. I bought some great Atlantic with 20 year warranties ane Olympia luggage. All very durable, sharp looking and BEST OF ALL, a fraction of the price of what you'll pay elsewhere.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM
hydro-terp

Ive always been a hardside guy. Ive seen to many exploded soft sides coming out the the baggage claim area with peoples clothes all over the place.

I got a set of Samsonites years ago and they are still getting me by even though are starting to look their age.

The central part of my luggage is the "piggy back" Samsonite. I can strap almost all my stuff to it and it tuned into an all-terrain luggage carrier. The only man-handling is in and out of the car/cabs etc.

For a carry-on last year Campmor had a Columbia travel pack on sale. Its one of those backpacks thats a carry-on. That thing is mega sweet. I can fit like two changes of clothes in it along with the usual cant live without stuff that goes in a carry-on.
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM
CruzCrazy

I did wind up buying two pieces of Atlantic soft-sided luggage at Ross for Less. They do hold a lot and are less than my Samsonite hard cases.

My husband, who is an engineer, still likes his hard cases as well, so I tell him not to complain that I pack too much and it's heavy....it's the luggage itself that is heavy.

If we travel by plane, we do the hard cases. If we just drive to the port, we do the soft luggage.

Boy do you need to mark your luggage. We just bought a fabric pen in dayglow orange and will write our names on our navy bags. The hard case is easy to find, but anything else is a nightmare especially in Bayonne, NJ and NYC port.

Thanks for your input.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
tweedle

I am always looking for the perfect bag and I think I might have found it this week. The brand in international traveler. They are a hard side expandable and very light. I bought the 27 in and it weighs 3 pounds less than my duffal bag with wheels. You can find them at baggageforless.com Wish I had know about the web site because they sure do beat the price that I paid. Mary
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: What is the lightest luggage on the market?

I found at Target, Kohls' neoprene fluorescent handles that can velcro on 2 fro $7.99. I not only used velcro to attach to handle I sewed them closed permanently on bags. Makes for a nice padding and can spot a mile away. I even went the extra mile and did the top and side handles on same bag.

Next time I am letting my son take bright pink duct tape and putting a letter on the side of bag!
I also laminated luggage ID from a kit I found at Comp USA made with bright paper, no one should be mistaking my bags for theirs.
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
First Mate

Default To help pack, prevent wrinkles

I found at Target the Large size ziploc travel type bag that seals without a vacuum. It is amazing, I folded my husband dress shirt, tie, slacks and suitcoat and the belt in one pile, sealed top and rolled air out--the whole outdit a 2" stack and water and stain proof. Worked for my dress clothes too. Just unzip, poof and hang.
An amazing product. Product can be located by luggage accessories or Samsonite makes a set near luggage areas.
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Beginner

Briggs and Riley luggage has a lifetime guarantee. They will repair or replace no matter what. They even replace the zipper tabs the airlines are so fond of removing. Julia
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:21 AM
Gertrude

Luggage made out of balistic nylon is a good idea, it might not be the very lightest but it is soft sided and has a tendency to last longer than some other types of luggage. Your suitcases must be very old. Very few people buy hard sided luggage now a days. Most important make sure your luggage as built in wheels with ball bearings. The wheels make all the difference. If the suitcase has wheels the weight is not that important.