Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Beginner

Default Dinner Attire

Do you have to dress up every night for dinner or only on the nights for the Captain's dinner?

What type of clothing are recommended for dinner, we are going in the middle of January 2005
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:11 AM
octcruise

Default Re: Dinner Attire

We dressed up well for the formal nights and did blouses and khakis (women)/hawaiian print and khakis (men) on the other nights. We ate in the formal dining room every night and 2 breakfasts and 3 lunches. I would recommend lunch and dinner, but get breakfast at the buffets, there is more choice. The service is too good to pass up at lunch and dinner in the dining room and the food was really good for the most part. The only really bad thing that anyone at our table had was the pumpkin pie and that was just strange, kinda like jello with a little pumpkin flavoring thrown in. The last night onboard was the best - Chateaubriand, seafood newburg and the most wonderful chocolate cake.
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Admiral

on most cruises you will have resort casual, informal and formal nights.
The dress code for the evening will be posted in your daily ships newsletter.
The dress code applies to all the main dining rooms and alternative restaurants. It does not apply to the buffet, pizzerias and bistros.
Description:
Resort Casual: Men - Dockers type pants with a collared-shirt (polo type), short-sleeve button down or hawaiin print shirt ( especially on island night) casual shoes
Boys/Young Men- pretty much the same, cargo/carpenter pants with a polo type shirt and casual shoes are also fine.
Ladies - capris, a nice blouse and flat sandals. Sun or sheathdress with flat sandals, Nice pants ( Docker's type) with a nice blouse or polo type shirt. Skirt & blouse.
Same goes for the girls/young ladies.

Informal : Sports jacket, dress pants tie, dress shoes for the men. Boys and Young Men are fine in a dress shirt, dress pants, tie is optional and dress shoes.
Ladies - a nice dress or suit, dressy pants with a nice blouse, dressy skirt with a nice blouse, dress heels or sandals - same for the girls/young ladies.

Formal - Dark suit, suit separates or Tux for men/boys.
Ladies - long dress or gown. Long skirt with a dressy or sparkly top. Dressy pants with a dressy/sparkly top, cocktail dress- you can never go wrong with your basic black cocktail dress.
Girls/Young Ladies - think party dress, or the same as the Ladies description.
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to amandaM

hey
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to amandaM
Default Re: Re: Dinner Attire

Hey my husband and I are cruising for the 1st time in Feb. I am so worried about what to wear for the formal nights. I don't want to stick out. I'm debating between one of my bridesmaid dresses from this summer (Blue or dark red) a long sparkly black dress or a knee lenght black skirt with a nice shirt. I'm 23. I do have pictures of some of the dresses if that would help.

Thanks so much!
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

The black dress is a definite and probably one of the bridesmaid dresses too. Just an opinion.
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Rea

It depends on the ship and line, tell me that and I can give you some assistance.

Plus,,, are you going to the dining room or the buffet to eat at night?

I feel you are going to the dining room. If so just be presentable in your attire, and that could range from being be smart casual (no jeans) to wearing an expensive dress or skirt / blouse with partner in smart shirt and slacks.

Dining room people just want to eat with people that look as if they have made an effort and dont turn up in cut jeans and vest. Buffet, yeah you could wear that and get away with it.

Formal night on most ships is optional, but its nice to do and is a big part of the cruise.

Put it this way, in over twenty cruises the people that stood out for me are always the ones trying to buck the trend by coming into the dining room in attire that is disrespectful to their ship mates, ie nearly pool clothes.

And no matter the ship, just be comfortable in yourself look as if you have taken the time to dress for dinner. You cant go wrong.