CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   My packing "oops" story (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294547-my-packing-oops-story.html)

Harry Martin November 15th, 2004 03:59 PM

My packing "oops" story

This story from our cruise on the Diamond Princess Oct 30th-Nov 6th.

Oddly enough, this time I packed the day we left to go to LA, but I know the routine pretty well. However, we just m ved into a new house in June, so I had to scurry about the closet finding everything.

All went well till the first formal night, when Art (5-foot-9) found out that we packed a pair of my suit pants (me: 6-foot-4) with *his* suit coat.

We made some quick planning, and Art just pulled 'em up to his rib cage and belted himself into the waist. Needless to say, he kept his coat buttoned all night. ... I told him he looked like Fred Mertz. :-) Me bad.

I think I will have a long time before I live this "oops" down.

:-)

Harry

hazelson November 15th, 2004 07:04 PM

Re: My packing "oops" story

Photos please lol - ttfn Jennifer

gerif November 16th, 2004 11:42 AM

Ha - good one. I'll never forget the time a friend cruised with her parents and other family members. They were so excited about their first cruise that her dad was all packed a week in advance. Seeing his packed suitcase, her older sister (who was not going) decided his pants would be all wrinkled by the time they left, so she UNPACKED them and hung them back in the closet. Well, don't think I need to tell you what happened - he unpacked to find he only had the pants he was wearing! Being a somewhat oversized gentleman, it wasn't even a matter of being able to buy some shorts or slacks on the ship or in port - glad I wasn't there to hear him when he next encountered his daughter!

Harry Martin November 16th, 2004 05:00 PM

Jennifer, you *think* he would let me take a photo?

Poor guy, he always gets the brunt ... one cruise I forgot all his underwear, so our souvenier hunt in Ensenada was for BVDs.

Harry

LisaK November 17th, 2004 10:45 AM

Harry that is funny, not for Art, but funny just the same. I think we all have similar stories, - on our last cruise, my girlfriend left her first formal night outfit hanging in the closet at home, she had just bought it and when she got home she did what she usually does, hang it up in the closet, so first day out on the cruise she and her hubby go to the boutique on the ship and she was able to find a very nice black dress for a reasonable price.
That's why i am a huge fan of lists when it comes to packing.

Dorothy November 17th, 2004 04:10 PM

Harry, I think Art needs to stop letting you help him pack!!

I took 2 different black high heeled shoes once...they were remarkably similar, only one was higher than the other. I think people thought I was drunk because I walked kinda funny....

dorothy

hazelson November 17th, 2004 11:27 PM

Dorothy - did that make you walk around in circles lol. Harry - are you sure your not harassing poor Art? And if you can't take pictures try drawing it lol. Is underwear any different in Mexico? :o) At least it gives us something to have a laugh about - when it's over - not while we're living it. Keep having fun - ttfn Jennifer

Laurie M November 18th, 2004 03:39 PM

Our oops packing story is when we forgot to pack my husbands black dress shoes.
But we have an excuse.
My father had passed away a few days before we were to leave on our cruise and the memorial service for him was the night before we left. I had everything already packed in the suitcase so my husband had to get his good black shoes out to wear to the service. It wasn't until he unpacked his bag on the ship that we realized that he forgot to put his shoes back in the bag. So he had to wear brown shoes with his black suit.

Melisa January 31st, 2005 09:53 AM

I had packed my son's tie (he was 9 at the time) for my husband to use. Needless to say, my husband is a big man. I had to tie his tie with just a tiny little bit of a knot in order to get it long enough. It was quite comical.

rehr February 2nd, 2005 02:10 PM

My last cruise, I had brought one silver and one black formal shoe (no pairs). We were in Nassau that day and I could not find a pair of heels. Luckily a girl I had met had an extra pair that I could borrow. Too bad they were a size 7 1/2..... because I wear a 10 1/2. I could bearly walk. LOL

ship February 6th, 2005 03:15 PM

Our packing opps was when we were getting off the ship, I packed everything just like I was supposed to and my husband disembarked in his PJ's. It was too funny, every time I looked at him I laughed, needless to say there was not a gift shop or anyplace to buy a tee shirt.

banker February 6th, 2005 09:04 PM

oh come on Harry, in a situation like that, you don't ask permission!!

whip out that camera and snap a few before he knows what's going on

then you run, you know he can't chase with those pants on.....LOL

banker

Harry Martin February 8th, 2005 12:14 PM

LOL ... I should have! But boy the look I would have gotten.

Harry

HappyCruiser383 February 9th, 2005 05:53 PM

Ship, <I'm still laughing from your post> I almost did the same thing to my DH. Actually, he caught the mistake before they picked up the suitcases from the hall. I never saw him move so fast! He sleeps in his boxers!

Harry, we really need pictures. Maybe you can try again on your next cruise?? :)

ehogan February 10th, 2005 10:17 AM

I did a similar thing to my husband - I had always been in charge of all the packing, I organized all his clothes, left his formal wear in the closet for the last minute to prevent wrinkling and then forgot it.

Consequence: I am no longer allowed to pack for him - HAPPY ENDING for me.

rollerdonna March 5th, 2005 12:26 AM

On our last cruise, my 16 yr. old son packed for himself. He brought the fancy suit, even the shiny good shoes, but forgot to pack a dress shirt! So he showed up for formal night in a nice white T-shirt a la Don Johnson in Miami Vice. I was horrified, but as you can see, he still got the girl!
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery...thumb38107.jpg

donna

LindaInCT March 7th, 2005 12:25 PM

This isn't a cruise packing "oops", but I guess I can tell it...

We got married in Las Vegas in August, and I forgot to pack my white slip to wear under my wedding dress!! My dress was obviously white, and with no slip and a tan, you could see right through it! I was a basket case "What am I gonna do??!!" I mean there was nothing left to the imagination. There was NO WAY I could walk around like that. You could even see the tag on my underwear!!! Of course, my then husband-to-be got a big kick out of the situation, and said "Well, it's Vegas! Anything goes!" which made me start to cry even more. And it didn't help that the limo was already outside waiting. None of the hotel shops, of course, sold undergarments!

Luckily, my sister had given me a white satin ankle length nightgown which I rolled up into my bra and kinda stuffed it there. (My dress was knee length.)She refused to let me cut it because she paid $$$ for it!! Everything went well, other than I had to make sure the nightgown didn't fall out of my bra all night and the photos of me have a big bulge under my dress. ha ha