Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:41 PM
monicakm

Default Men's Dining Attire...Will This Work?

Grand Princess, sailing out of Galveston to Western Caribbean in Jan. We
will NOT be doing the two formal nights. This is what we bought for DH for the
various dining rooms. Docker type pants in two shades of khaki and one pair
of black and one navy. Eight shirts, all collared...4 solid color polos,
one pull over (collared) print and 3 long sleeve button down the front, all to be worn with a belt. One pair brown "semi dress" dress shoes. Still need to find a black pair. At
this point we haven't bought ties or a jacket. He's not a tie person but
I'll make him wear one if he needs to. Will he be breaking any rules
(implied or otherwise) if he didn't wear a jacket? Again, we won't be doing formal night.
Thanks,
Monica
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2004, 05:50 PM
JD

Default Re: Men's Dining Attire...Will This Work?

Everything you mentioned will be fine if you don't want to do formal night. The dress on Princess is smart casual and formal. Smart casual is docker type pants and a shirt with a collar. Formal is defined (for men) as a suit or tux. A dark suit used to be the standard but I've noticed just a suit is now mentioned.

On the 11/27-12/4 Grand cruise out of Galveston, on formal nighs, I observed men wearing tuxes, light colored and dark suits, and I saw some sport coats.

As far as NOT doing formal nights, you should reconsider... a suit and tie is not that much trouble for your DH and the overall ambiance and dining experience is nice.

Many women I noticed were in basic black outfits and many with some sparkles. The suggested dress is supposed to be for the evening, but some change after dinner into more casual clothes. Most I believe stayed in their dress clothes.

I also observed some young men (early 20s) wearing slacks and a collared shirt and another was not even up to a casual look. They were allowed in the dining room.

Bottom line, take advantage of everything on the ship to enjoy your cruise and if you and DH are comfortable with your dress go for it. I wore a tux this time but was not offended by others that didn't
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Men's Dining Attire...Will This Work?

couple of things, leave the long-sleeved shirts at home. A couple of pairs of Dockers with polo or other short-sleeved button down casual shirts, hawaiian print shirts are great fun on island night, that's all that he will need for casual dining.
You are bringing way too many clothes for him. He can get a couple of nights wear out of one pair of Dockers, just bring a change of shirt for each evening.
If you plan on dining in any of the alternative(pay restaurants) just know that the dress code for the evening applies to these restaurants.
The only casual alternative on formal nights is the buffet, bistros or roomservice.
Formal Night is great fun. Its not pretentious, snooty stuffy or anything like it. Its fine dining that's all. If DH owns a suit, or a sportsjacket dress pants, dress shirt (there are types that don't require a tie) and dress shoes he is all set.
If you own a nice cocktail or dressy dress, or a nice suit you will be all set.