Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
KT

Default bringing a camer to port

When we go ashore in port, I want to bring my good camera along. What happens while we're snorkling, will someone be watching our stuff? I would really hate to skip bringing my camera that day. Maybe I should check with the cruise line.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: bringing a camer to port

When we were not sure of security on the beach, we took our one time use waterproof cameras. This way we didn't risk our digital being damaged and had a camera to take in the water with us. We each had one so we got pictures of each other and didn't have to pass it back and forth. Sometimes we did take our digital, kept it in our bag which we found to be safe at Chankanaab Park and Doctor's Cave beach in Jamaica. These were fee to enter places, so the majority of the people were in the same position, trying to keep their belongings safe. I guess you can never be too sure. I kept my cash and cruise card on me in a little waterproof pouch I got for $1.00. It is for a fishing license, nothing fancy, but did the job.

Old November 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi KT,
You may want to just purchase a disposable water camera for those days at the beach, they are cheap and you wouldn't have to worry about loosing your good camera. Some beaches do have lockers, but not all of them and unless you have someone watch your stuff, we just leave the good camera onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Jim Rubins

Default Re: Re: bringing a camer to port

THANK YOU! very practical idea to bring small waterproof pouch.....YOU made my day!
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:15 AM
Passenger

Without even thinking about safety, we purchased an underwater housing for our digital camera. They make them for all sorts of cameras. Great for underwater shots! It looks like a camera itself, fits like a glove. We have the added bonus of being able to take it with us and not worrying about it on the beach. Though spendy, we can now take it to the lake and not worry about water play and grit during camping. Good for 130ft underwater. I searched the web and found one for under $200.

Hope this helps!

Happy Sailing!

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:50 AM
Admiral

a lot depends upon what type of activites we are planning on doing. If we are going island sight-seeing then we definately bring the "good" camera. If we are planning on just going snorkeling then all we bring is the underwater camera. If we are going to a beautiful beach that has snorkeling then we bring both. Put the good camera in the backpack pack and lock it in a locker at the beach.
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:59 AM
KT

Thanks so much for all the input. We are going snorkeling in the morning, but I would hate to leave the camera behind even for the ride there or for later in the day. I did buy a waterproof disposaable camera too. I don't think my digital camera would fit into a waterproof housing, it's like a normal SLR camera with a big lens. I think I'll be fine, thanks again!
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Yeoman

For others thinking about a housing, its well worth it as ColeCountry mentioned. It keeps the sand out of the camera as well! Ive gotten so many great shots of our son in the water thanks to the housing.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal