Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Default How to dress on first day.

Any tips on what wife and I should wear on embarkation , and clothing essentials to have in carry-ons?
Thanks for everyones help, it has been invaluable!
Mike T.
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: How to dress on first day.

Hi Troutlake,
I just pack a change of clothes to wear for dinner in my carry-on. Usually something simple, since it will be a casual nite. We travel from the midwest and when leaving here its cold, once down in Fl, its warm, so I just pack a skirt and top for dinner.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:21 AM
dee-lynn

the first day of a cruise is rather laid back and a time for exploring the ship. The first dinner night is usually relaxed and casual. As for necesseties to pack in your carry-on, I would pack my toiletry bag and include such things as my meds, various things needed for everyday use (deodorant, toothpaste etc) and if you are travbelling to a warmer climate pack along your swim suit...hope I helped.
Old December 10th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Yeoman

We just wear what we travel in so comfy clothes for us. Many people like to change so be sure to put that in your carry-on along with anything else you would need before dinner, as mentioned. You might and probably wont get your luggage delivered to your room before dinner. Also, even though youre in FL, it can still get chilly at night, so bring a light jacket or sweater, especially if you want to be on deck for the sailing! We were cold in Miami and Ft Lauderdale!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Admiral

if you are flying in the day of embarkation then travel in comfy layers. I usually wear a pair of cotton pants, a jersey a lightjacket, sweater or zip-front sweatshirt and sneakers.
Pack a pair of shorts your swimsuit/cover-up and a top change for dinner to go with the pants you are wearing in your carry-on luggage. If you get to the pier early you increase your chances of getting your luggage before dinner time. Most of the time you will have your luggage in plenty of time before dinner.
Old December 10th, 2004, 07:14 PM
LaurieB

Also keep in mind they'll be taking your group's photo upon embarkation- not that you have to buy it but it's a great souvenier of your trip.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
Passenger

LisaK,

You mentioned that if you get to the pier early, you have a better chance of getting your luggage before dinner. How much before embarkation can you enter the ship?
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:49 AM
Admiral

try to get to the pier around noon or a little bit after,most ships will let you start to board around noon time if you have an early evening departure.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In my carry on I pack the following items: Note; the electronics are definitely not needed but are things you would have in a carry on and not in checked baggage. Valuables such as jewelry should also be in your carry on.

Pair of docker type pants.
Polo shirt
Swimsuit
T-Shirt
Flat Sandals
2 pair of Underwear
Belt
1 pair of Socks
Medications
Dress Watches, tuxedo studs, cuff links, jewelry
Travel Documents, including passports (Keep on person or in accessible carry on pocket)
Laptop
Digital Camera and accessories
Power Strip
Some of wife's jewelry

I board in shorts and khaki type shorts and casual shoes that will work with shorts or Docker pants. I also have a travel wallet with 1/2 our cash, backup Visa credit card. My wife carries another travel wallet with the rest of the travel cash, a different Visa card and her standard ID.

With these things I can be ready to lounge by the pool, explore the ship and be ready for the first night's dinner even if the luggage hasn't arrived by dinner time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 23rd, 2004, 11:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm one of those people who believe the vacation starts the second I hit the airport. For our cruise in January 04, I wore a sundress and sandals to the airport and we live north of Toronto, ON Canada! Hubby had to drop me off right at the doors so I didn't have to trudge through the 10 inches of snow but at least I was ready for our cruise! Even if the luggage didn't make it to our room before dinner (it actually made it before we even saw the room! - thanks Celebrity), I was dressed and ready to go. Hubby was sweltering in his jeans but I was nice and comfy.

Old January 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
First Mate

I always fly in the night before the cruise. In the hotel room I repackage my carry on to hold: camera, swim suit, book, sunscreen, toiletries, meds. This way after we comb the ship we can relax by the pool and get some sun until our luggage gets here!

As for what to wear, I had on a t-shirt and jean skirt and was fine.
Good luck!! Mary

Old January 11th, 2005, 01:45 PM
DENISE HINTZE

wear comfortable clothes like t shrit slacks a sweater or jacket and confortable shoes
it will be along day so make yourselfs comfortable her are some things you shud
put in your carry on bag camcorders. camera/exposed film,cash and credit cards,
cellular phone, changd underwear,eyeglasses,jewerly.keys,medications,pres criptions
passport, toiletries/cosmetics, travel documents,and travelrs checks i hope this helps you
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM
one4gip

Some repeats but this is my pack list that we use:

Flying from a colder climate we always wear Dockers, polos, and a light jacket. In the carryon we carry our valuables (cameras, jewelry, cell phone, cruise documents, cash, credit cards, etc...), swim suits, shorts, sandals, medicines, small toiletry bag, travel documents, sunscreen, eye glasses, contact case, and bottled wine.
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Yeoman

I basically do the same thing as Silver_Cloud but I get cold easily. I plan to wear nice jeans and comfy shoes. When we get on the ship, the last thing we want to do is unpack or change. Don't want to miss anything (like the ship turning around on the Mississippi river). I'll pack a windbreaker type jacket in my carryon too.

I'm just so excited I can hardly stand it!