Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2004, 06:40 PM
wondering

Default luggage locks

I am just wondering why some people say to use plastic "tabs" instead of luggage locks...
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: luggage locks

The plastic cable ties are the most popular. I use them instead of locks. They will keep your luggage sealed and also let you know if your bags have been opened. Keep a nail clippper and extra cable ties in the outside zipper pocket of the luggage. This way you will have the clipper to snip the ties to open your luggage and extra ties to use when you are ready for your return.

Here is a picture of the cable ties. They are the same as you would use to organize cables or wires. You can buy them at any hardware store or a Wal-Mart or K-Mart type store.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Beginner

One of the reasons people use the plastic ties is because the airlines no longer want you to use locks. They prefer they not be secured in anyway so if they want to open them to search them, it's easier. IMO securing them at least with the ties keeps them at least minimally closed to theft.
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
booboo4031

There are new locks that the airlines do allow. There is a list of approved locks on the tsa website. I got mine at Brookstone. They were $20 for 2. They are the regular combination lock but on the bottom there is a key lock. All the US TSA inspectors have the keys to these. I've had my checked luggage opened many times while using these locks with no problem. I do know that the international airports do not have the keys to these locks yet and people have had these cut.
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:12 PM
DENISE H

don't put locks on your suitecase cause if airport security wants to check your bags
and they are lock they will broke them the only suggestion is to but bright tape
ribbonor pom-pomson your suitecase at each end so you know you have the right bag
at the airport and to claim your bag at the port on return i hope this helps you
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We used pipe cleaners to act as a lock to keep the zipper secure. After my
luggage was inspected, they actually twisted it back together (surprised me)
but at least it kept them from cutting my lock off.
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Admiral

I tie a heavy cotton string through the lock holes on my suitcases. I them into 5 knots. This way if I untie less or more than 5, I know someone went into my bag.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

since 911 everytime, I go to get on a plane with luggage locks I have a problem, however I cruised with Carnival last year and had no problem.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:52 AM
booboo4031

Immediately after 9/11, the TSA said no locked luggage and people went to the white ties so if they were cut it's was no big deal. They are secure and inexpensive to buy. Since then, the TSA has come out with a list of approved Sentry locks and what these are are combination locks that allow passengers to lock their luggage but also on the bottom of the lock there is a place for a key. All the US airport screeners have the keys to the approved locks. I travel frequently and have had my luggage opened many times and have yet to have one of these approved locks cut. There is a list on the TSA website where they can be purchased. I got mine at Brookstone. The nice thing about the ones at Brookstone is that they come in neon colors so it helps to identify my luggage easier too.

Just an FYI, these locks can be cut at international airports as they are not equipped with the keys yet. That does not include San Juan as they are manned by US TSA staff.