Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Terri Ann

Default Insulin syringes packing question.

I am diabetic and require insulin. Am I allowed to have my syringes in my carry-on for my flight to MIami? They are prepackaged. I would check them, but what if the luggage does not arrive for some reason? I have not flown since 9-11 and I guess they could be considered a "sharp". I would appreciate advice from those in my situation. Thank you..

Terri Ann ---12 days til I cruise!!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Insulin syringes packing question.

We just returned from a cruise on NCL's Dream to Mexico, Honduras and Belize. My mother is insulin dependent, and we packaged her syringes, insulin (Humilin 70/30 and Humalog), meter and other medicines in a vanity (a carry-on bag). Also, we took the actual prescription boxes (cut down so just the face of the box with the prescription on it showed) in case INS or any other official types demanded legitimate proof for those items.
Once on board the ship, the Medical Center provided a "sharps container" for disposal of the syringes. At the end of the trip, we dropped the container off in the Medical Center. Overall, we had no problems with anyone questioning her medications.
If you do have a diabetic medical emergency on board, the Medical Center generally charges $50 to see the doctor, plus whatever to cover the costs of medicine and so forth. Remember that the Medical Center is not full service but covers minor issues.
Hope this helps,
Jules
Old December 21st, 2004, 06:14 PM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Insulin syringes packing question.

Thank you so much for the information. I was wondering today what I was going to do with the used syringes. I appreciate your response. I am sure that the new Carnival Valor's medical dept. will give me a sharp container.

Terri
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Insulin syringes packing question.

We travel with syringes also, and have not been stopped as they pass thru the screener. We do carry a letter from the doctor with us. Do not put them on your checked luggage, you never know where it could wind up. Good luck!