Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Passenger

Default Bungee Cord, Bug Spray, Seasickness for Hawaiian Cruise?

Thanks for all the tips I've gleaned from your posts. I keep seeing suggestions to take a bungee cord to hold open the balcony door. This is our 1st cruise, so we have no idea how long of a cord to purchase, or maybe a better way to word it, how much distance the cord needs to cover.

Our son gave us a trip for Christmas to be taken next May. We don't have the packet yet, but we're so curious about things. We don't even know which Cruisliner we will be using. It's one of the companies that includes the roundtrip flights and a cruise to 5 or 6 islands.

What about seasickness?

Also, will we need bug spray in Hawaii in May?

Some of your posts have left me with tears running down my face from laughing.

Happy New Year and Aloha!

Post Edited (12-29-04 20:44)
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:26 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.
Default Re: Bungee Cord, Bug Spray, Seasickness for Hawaiian Cruise?

Hi, I have been to Hawaii twice, once in March and once in August. You won't need bugspray as there aren't many flying insects.

You are booked on Norwegian Cruise Lines, as they are the only ones that are currently sailing around the Hawaiian Islands. Some other lines offer Hawaii cruises but they are usually ones that begin or end on the west coast of the U.S.

As far as the bungee cord I don't know how long. I am also curious to know since I will be leaving on Carnival Conquest in just a few weeks and I want to purchase one before we go.

Enjoy Hawaii, I love the islands. Maui is my favorite, Honolulu is so urban, not that romantic. Kauai is beautiful as well.

- Rob M.
Old January 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Bungee Cord, Bug Spray, Seasickness for Hawaiian Cruise?

judi:

If you are beginning and ending your cruise in Hawaii then you are probably sailing on NCL. However there are a number of smaller, American, cruise ships that cruise the islands. If you are on one of those I don't think I can give you too much information.

Royal Caribbean and Holland America are also sailing the islands in May but they are sailing from the West Coast of the mainland U.S..

I would take 2 12" cords if you want to use them. That way you can hook them together if one is too short or a longer one is too long. If you have a sliding glass door you probably won't need one. They are usually only needed if you have a standard type door to the balcony. Remember if you leave the door open your air conditioning may not function correctly and depending on the ship it may throw off other peoples air conditioning.

As Rob said, mosquito repellent is not needed. I have been there many times and have never had a problem with insects.

You can take Bonine (Meclizine) or ginger with you to help with seasickness, if you are prone to it. Most people are not.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me