Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM
FyrBoss

Default how "formal" is formal, really?

So on Celebrity's Millennium the "semi-formal" nights are still listed as jacket and tie....which I don't own. Is this a locked in, no exceptions to the rule thing or is a nice long sleeved dress shirt and tie going to be accepted? I'm certainly not one to resist the norm, it's just I don't own, don't have the money for, a new suit to wear a couple of nights at supper.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
hydro-terp

Default Re: how "formal" is formal, really?

How about a blazer to go with kakis, shirt and tie. You could mix colors and get a couple different looks and only need to add a couple shirts etc. I havent traveled on Celebrity just CCL and RCCL. While they may not refuse to let you eat you would most likley "feel" underdressed or out of the norm.

Celebrity is a more upscale line compared to the ones Ive been on. The RCCL cruise I went on last year had a similar night and I bought a blazer and never wore it.
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Admiral

When we had formal night our December 12th cruise on the Fantasy, some people were dressed extremely formal, like going to a black tie wedding. Some were dressed as though they were going to a normal wedding. But I also saw woman in black pants and blouse and men in slacks and a polo shirt, no tie or jacket. As far as I know, nothing was considered not formal as long as it was nice and presentable.

If you don't have the money for a suit, what about a nice pair of slacks, shirt and tie. Don't men usually take their jacket off anyway? My husband did on the cruise. He was more comfortable eating without the jacket.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Celebrity is more "traditional" when it comes to the dress code. Most men will be wearing a jacket, shirt/tie and dress pants. Will they let you into the dining room with a shirt/tie dress pants, dress shoes - of course they will. With that being said- get yourself to your local thrift or consignment store ( Goodwill, Salvation Army) you would be suprised at the quality jackets you can find there.
Just so that you know - on formal nights you will be expected to wear a suit & tie or a tux. If you own a suit, you can always pair up your suitcoat with a nice pair of dress pants, dress shirt/tie and dress shoes for semi-formal nights.
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: how "formal" is formal, really?

Have you ever gone to Good Will? I got my son a blue jacket that is just perfect for $4!!!!!!!! He will look just great!
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM
CAnderson

Officially, it's called "Informal" on Celebrity (just to confuse people, I think!)

Formal: Dark suit and tie or tux
Informal: Sportcoat (tie seems optional) or suit & tie
Casual: No jeans, shorts, etc.
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

While the dresscode is not a strict thing so that they'll kick you out of the dining room for not adhering to the suggestions, it is nice if you put some effort into it. Like the others have said in above posts, going to Goodwill, etc is a great way to get some bang for your buck.

Personally, I wore a nice dress and hubby wore a nice pair of pants, sports coat and shirt and tie. We fit right in but others were slightly less formal and were fine as well.

Old January 9th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Jamiegunter

We just cruised Celebrity in April of 2004. My husband wore his sport coat( that we went out and bought because of their rule), well only about 25% wore one. So the secound semiformal he just wore his polo shirt and pants. Was just fine. We were on the Century, all ships are different so you may want to get one just in case. You can get some good buys this time of year. Then you will have it
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM
FyrBoss

Thanks all for informative and helpful responses to my original query. I appreciate all that took the time to post a suggestion. I'm making one more attempt to find a decent "sportcoat" in my rural area's shopping choices this Tuesday....sorry it seems that no large men have left me a $4.00 coat to choose at my local Goodwill...believe me, I've looked! I am happy to say that better than half my wifes' wardrobe was purchased there, most with the tags still on and some fantastic labels...I know this by the pitch of her squeal as each new treasure was revealed from her shopping bags!

Barring the finding of a large...very large black sportcoat...I'm going to take my chances with those that would judge me from the upraised tip of their air intakes...can't afford the $200 for the suit...but plan on enjoying every minute of a cruise I've waited 25 years to take!

Thanks again to all for you assistance, I've loved checking out every cranny of this board over the last year or so!

FyrBoss
Old January 29th, 2005, 01:12 AM
FyrBoss

As a follow-up offering....we just got back home from our Jan 16th cruise on the Millenium. I had a tux rented from the cruiselineformalwear.com folks and it was delivered to our stateroom the afternoon of our first "formal" evening. The cost was much less than if I were to rent one locally and this way I didn't have to drag it around the airports with me. Quality, as good as our local supplier would have offered I'm sure.

On our 2 semi-formal nights I decided to go with only a nice dress shirt and tie and found myself, for better or for worse, to be totally comfortable and adequetly dressed in comparison to my table and the other diners. I simply could not afford a new suit coat, couldn't locate one in a thrift store,or borrow one my size, and took a chance I'd be welcomed. It was NO problem and sorry to say, there were those less dressed than I.

The casual nights ran the gamut from Dockers and nice Polo, to a couple of clowns in shirtless leather vests and faded jeans.....I kid you not.

Anyway, it was a great experience, one that I know will be repeated many times over in the coming years, and I again thank all the "mates" on the board for their input and help!
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:42 PM
CruzCrazy

I think every man should have at least a sports jacket in his wardrobe. Try and find one on sale.

My husband never owned a suit (and he's 63) until two years ago and we started cruising. He finally broke down and bought a nice black suit at Marshall's and he's worn it at every cruise we've been on. Now when we go to Marshall's he's always at the suit rack looking for another bargain.

My husband always says, "don't pack the sports jacket also, " but I do anyway for him to wear on informal or smart casual night. It looks nice with a shirt and tie or just a nice collared knit shirt.

Somehow a jacket just makes the man...even if he's in jeans.
Old February 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Passenger

We just got back from Century Western Carb. Feb. 12-18 and were told to pack for 2 Formal, 2 "informal"(Coat and tie) and 3 casual nights just like our last Celebrity cruise. Well, surprise!!!!!! we had the 2 formal nights, 1 informal night and all the rest were casual. I have no problem with this except we spent money, time, and packing space on clothes we didn't need. What is Celebrity's problem? I have an expensive dress I bought for that night,and my husband has a shirt and tie.....don't tell us to pack for a dressy night that isn't going to happen.

Can someone tell me if this is the standard 7day cruise practice now? 2 formal, 1 informal, 4 casual on Century? It would help people to know how to pack better.

Post Edited (02-22-05 21:21)
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
ehogan

We were on the Norwegian Star last fall, and the Norwegian line is about the most casual cruise line there is. On formal night, men trying to enter the main dining room were turned away if they did not have a jacket on (it didn't have to be a suit - sport jacket was OK), so you might have to choose one of the other restaurants on formal night if you decide not to purchase a jacket.

Either way, you will have a wonderful time.
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:31 PM
happy ks

Just to address Teach1, or any other person who may be interested. We have done away with packing an outfit for each night, we will wear items 2 times during the cruise, sending things out for cleaning, if necessary. Not only does it make for lighter packing, it makes for lighter spending, too. Of course, now you have all the clothes you need for your next cruise!

Absolutely no one will notice or care if you wear the same thing twice. If they do, well, it's just gotta be their problem.