Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Default Garment Bag…Carry~On?

Is a garment bag considered carry-on (for airplane)? I may be able to get all we are taking in two carry-ons. One for my husband and one for me. Then I am hoping I can carry another bag, that I will call my *purse*. It is really a medium size beach bag with lots of pockets. Could my husband have his carry-on and a garment bag? I'd love to avoid checked luggage, if possible.

Also…is there a website with the most CURRENT list of items we CANNOT put in our carry~on luggage? I'm wondering about disposable razors and nail clippers, for instance.

Thank you, in advance,

Post Edited (01-08-05 13:00)
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:21 PM
hydro-terp

Default Re: Garment Bag…Carry~On?

The airlines usually have their own size restrictions for the size of carry-ons. Check your airlines web site.

The TSA should have an up do date list on prohibited items. Check their web site also.

I think nial clippers are allowed now.

HTH
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd pack the razors in your checked luggage. As for the garment bag, we use one and it doesn't pass for carry-on, so we always just check it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Garment Bag…Carry~On?

Thank you for your replies, Hydro-Terp and Donna!

I'm trying to avoid checking any luggage. I can always buy my DH some disposable razors when we get there. I'll just skip the garment bag if I have to check it.

We aren't sailing until May 1st (Pride of Aloha) so the TA hasn't told me which airline we are taking yet. I imagine he's watching the fares fall for a bit before he books us.

Sorry, I'm new to the cruise boards. I don't know what "TSA* stands for. I'll try Google.
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Garment Bag…Carry~On?

Hi Judie,
TSA is the transporation authority that handles the security for all the luggage at the airport. I can't imagine packing for a week cruise have everything fit through carry-on, you may want to re-think and use regular size luggage and have it checked. Plus there is a restriction on how many you can actually carry-on the airplane anyway, be sure to check with the airline you are booked on when you find out.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Garment Bag…Carry~On?

Hi Donna,

I found the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) website. Trouble is the list of banned/allowed items has not been updated since Dec. 2003. I'll need to find something more current.

Pride of Aloha is a "Free Style" cruise. We don't have to wear formal clothes on any nite. All casual. We will be going in May when the average temp. In Hawaii is 86 degrees. We are from Oregon, so that will be HOT for us. I don't know which airline we will be taking so I checked the websites of EVERY airline that leaves Portland for Hawaii and found they all allow two carry~ons for each passenger. One allows three. I'm planning on two and if they allow three, all the better. I've even got a set of scuba gear for both of us in the carry~ons. Of course my DH will have to play pack mule thru the airport, but at least I won't be like the lady that sailed on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas that forgot to leave out an outfit to wear home the night before disembarkation and had to fly home in her pajamas! (My daughter and her DH witnessed that one.)
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:20 PM
hydro-terp

Usually when they say two carry-ons they mean like a bag and a purse or camera bag. You may get some bad looks from people as bigger carry-ons take up space in the over head compartment. If it wont fit undar the seat in front of you it would be best if it was checked.

I admire the fact you trying to go minimal but your really pushing the envelope on a week long cruise.

As far as restricted items to carry on print out the web page and take it with you. If they give you any trouble bust it out. It never hurts to have the rules printed out to hand to unknowledgable people. I travel with handguns on occasion and I always print out the FAA and air carrier guidelines to have with me when I do.

Have a great trip.
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Garment Bag…Carry~On?

Thanks Hydro,
Thats so true! I can't tell you how many times I try to put our camera bag or carry-on in the overhead compartment above me and its already full with other peoples stuff.. The limit of two, does include ladies purses too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Admiral

that two carry-on per person rule is very sneaky, the airlines count your purse, camera bag or back-pack as one of your carry on pieces.
Since you don't need any formal clothes you probably won't need a garment bag. They are too big to go on as carry-ons, they need to be checked.
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

FYI..... Disposable Plastic Razors ARE allowed in carry-on bags. i.e. BIC, Shick, etc...
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On almost every airline your carry on items cannot exceed a total of 42 inches. That means that the total of the the height + length + width cannot be more than 42 inches. This is called "The rule of 42." Some airlines such as Southwest, Northwest, and American allow a total or 45"

I don't know which airlines allow three carry-on items but I know of none that do and a quick scan of the carry-on allowance for Northwest, Southwest and American show they allow only one carry on and one or two smaller personal type items. These are purses, laptops, small backpacks etc.

There is rarely enough overhead space to accommodate 3 carry-on bags per person. Other bags such as purses, laptop bags, etc. have to fit under the seat in front of you.

If you try to get on the airplane with each of you carrying 3, 42-45 inch, carry on bags or backpacks you will VERY likely be asked to gate check them.

Also, I hope you aren't planning on carrying on scuba tanks. Those are not allowed. You also will not get those through the security screening.

I know that checking bags sounds like a hassle but unless you really lighten up on the packing you won't be able to do it. I know if it was me the small amount of time saved in checking and picking up a bag comes doesn't come close to being worth the hassle.

Whatever you end up doing have a great time in Hawaii and enjoy the cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

My last flight on USAirways my purse counted as a piece of luggage. Fortunately it fit inside a piece of luggage. Only TWO carryon bags permitted.

Carol
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM
klc

I've been wondering whether Am Airlines would allow three pieces to be checked in , as long as I do not exceed the weight restriction.One is a garment bag. I work in the cruise industry and the tags on my baggage state that I am crew,will they show some leniancy for this.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM
happy ks

As one poster pointed out, even if your carry ons are of the legal size, they still may be taken from you at the gate and put into the cargo hold. It happened to me once on a flight and my bag was under the size requirements and I only had that bag and a purse. It depends on how full the flight is.

I wish the airlines would crack down even more on the size of carry ons and the amount of extra stuff people carry onto a plane. It's such a hassle to get out of the plane because of all the junk people have to haul along with them. It's really not that hard to claim your bag at the carousel, do yourself and your fellow travelers a favor and carry on as little as you can. You will discover what a pleasure it is to travel light.

If you make sure you remove all prior air tags, your bag will get to your destination, very few bags are actually "lost", most of them go to different locations because of old air tags. Make sure when you check in for your flight the attendant puts the right destination tags on your bags. It only takes a moment of your time.