CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   travel iron (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294577-travel-iron.html)

fiona January 9th, 2005 10:43 PM

travel iron

Hi! Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight travel iron? Thanks, Fiona in Ohio

HaleyC January 10th, 2005 09:01 PM

Re: travel iron

I am pretty sure cruise lines do not allow travel irons b/c they are a fire hazard.

vtkd January 11th, 2005 09:53 AM

But....if you have a hair straightening iron you can improvise!!!

DENISE HINTZE January 11th, 2005 01:26 PM

try wal-mart they have travel irons and steamers for a good price

Cathy100 January 12th, 2005 09:28 AM

I have always carried my travel iron with no problems. It is a Sunbeam. To me it is alot safer than an open flame to lite a cigarette. Justt remember to unplug the dang thing. I always leave it out and the steward never touches it. I refuse to wear wrinkled clothes.

LisaK January 12th, 2005 10:25 AM

travel irons are a no-no. They are a fire hazzard. Travel steamers are ok. I think that there is a self-service laundry with iron on each passenger deck. Wrinkle reducer sprays work very well, as does hanging your clothes in the bathroom and turning on the shower to full -hot- shut the door and steam your clothes.

maine matt January 13th, 2005 12:06 AM

Iron on the ship, save room for stuff the boat doesn't have.

vpford2513 January 13th, 2005 05:50 AM

I always take my travel iron. Have never had any problems. What is the difference between a travel iron and a curling iron. You could call them both fire hazards.

LisaK January 13th, 2005 09:55 AM

I belive that the main reason irons are not allowed is because of scorched & burned towels, bed linens, carpets and countertops in the cabins. If you left your iron on by mistake and the ships movement knocked it over, it could start a fire.

HaleyC January 13th, 2005 01:04 PM

I found this on Carnival's website. At the very bottom of the page click on FAQs. I found this under Security, then Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

Are There Restrictions on What We Can Bring Aboard?

Ticket Contract:..( i deleted some to save room)
...Safety Precautions due to "Safety Precautions", the following items are not permitted onboard:
Irons
Heating Pads
Candles

hope this helps

karenhogie January 24th, 2005 03:53 PM

Don't take clothes that need to be ironed. You can find wonderful seperates in cootn/knit blends. Come on, you're on vacation!

karenhogie January 24th, 2005 03:55 PM

Don't take clothes that need to be ironed. You can find wonderful seperates in cootn/knit blends. Come on, you're on vacation!

DENISE H January 24th, 2005 04:33 PM

go to wal-mart to ther travel deparment you can get irons for a good price

LJR213 February 13th, 2005 05:15 PM

Mine is a travel iron but also a steamer and I would never leave home without it. The thought of wrinkled clothes when you are trying to look nice just isn't right. You can always use the laundry/dry cleaning services on the ship I don't believe they are very expensive.

momx4 February 26th, 2005 06:52 AM

I found out that RC will not let irons on board,
so I bought a travel hand held clothes steamer from ALLBRANDS.COM
It cost me about 40.00 and it works great. I hate have wrinkly clothes.

runway February 27th, 2005 07:06 PM

My wife takes a fantastic steamer by Rowena. Works like a professional ,light enough as a pair of shoes and works on suits. A bit of a price but used every trip we take.

alison1170 February 28th, 2005 04:32 PM

I used to bring a steam iron until my son burned himself with it. Now Downy's Wrinkle Release spray goes everywhere with me and gets used at home daily. Best stuff out there, a lot faster and easier to use too!

alison

KYCruiser March 3rd, 2005 07:18 PM

Re: Re: travel iron

I got a great travel steam iron from Oreck.com for $9 . . . can't beat that!!!!!!

rochesterny March 8th, 2005 01:48 PM

I bought a travel iron from wal mart before we left. Funny but the smaller travel irons are more expensive than the regular irons. Mine cost 18 bucks. Even funnier was the fact that I didn't need it. My stuff came out fairly un-wrinkled as I packed our formal/dinner clothing in my garment bag. Buy yourself a good garment bag instead of a travel iron.

My cabin attended told us in her little "welcome" speech that travel irons are discouraged onboard but if you brought one please be careful with it.

jaxon April 26th, 2005 08:06 PM

I heard that a travel iron doesn't heat up like a regular iron, and it is those which are verboten. I have one that attaches on the hairdryer bottom, pretty clever. I know the dhip has a hair dryer, but I like to sit at the dressing table. I've yet to use my iron, however -- generally the shower/steam treatment works.

24rocks May 19th, 2005 08:33 PM

lol that is exactly what i do!!

clo May 19th, 2005 09:43 PM

I guess I don't get it. The ships have irons for us to use. Why take up space in your luggage with something that they already provide? Plus if you pack right, you won't need an iron. My husband's tuxedo and shirts come out of the suitcase just fine and those are the most wrinkle prone things we travel with.

rochesterny May 20th, 2005 06:54 AM

clo - thats the whole point of this post! The cruiseline I was on (and apparently many other cruiselines too) didn't provide irons in the guest cabins because of the "fire hazard".

clo May 20th, 2005 08:15 AM

Sorry, I wasn't specific. I meant that the few ships I've been on all had irons and ironing boards in their laundry rooms. That may not be universal however.

MagnoliaBlossom May 21st, 2005 11:16 AM

The only ships I've been on in recent years that irons available to the public are on Carnival. Some of the others may have washer/dryers available but I've not seen a non-CCL iron in many years. Pack your clothes in dry cleaning bags and it will prevent wrinkling. What causes the wrinkles are clothes rubbing against one another. Be sure to use bags without writing on them if they will be next to light colored clothing. Tissue paper will work also but dry cleaning bags are easier to use.

glojo June 4th, 2005 11:58 AM

We were on the Sun Princess last year and they have a coin operated laundry room with irons and ironing boards. This was so nice. I don't think RCL has this feature at all, which would be nice, especially if they don't want you bringing your own. I do pack a travel iron with me, rules or no rules.