Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Default Teen outfits

This is my first cruise ever and I have no idea of what to pack????? I hear about like no shorts or jeans. Is that on like the cruise like the whole time? becuase i am planning on packing a ton of shorts becuase that is like what i live in. I have no idea of what to expect and what to wear on the ship and on night and stuff0 I am going on A royal Caribbean Cruise if it makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Teen outfits

Liv

On our last cruise (7 days in April 2004) this is what my daughters (12 & 15 at the time) packed:

3 bathing suits
1 cover-up
thong sandals to wear around the pool
5 pr. shorts
10 shirts that matched both the shorts and the mini skirts
1 denim mini skirt
1 white mini skirt
1 black mini skirt
1 sundress
2 formal dresses
water shoes
sandals
1 pr dress shoes

We live in the northeast so they wore jeans, sneakers and a sweatshirt with a light jacket on the plane. Depending on the time of year you cruise you'll need the sweatshirt or jacket on deck in the evening as it can get chilly. You can wear shorts on the ship, just not at dinner in the formal dining room. If you want to wear shorts at dinner you'll have to eat at the buffet. My kids ate in the dining room every night. They wore one of their skirts, the sundress or formal clothes on formal night. Shorts are fine in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. Hope this helps

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

I'm no longer a teen, but...

For the sake of getting the most for my packing space, I tend to lean more toward casual mini skirts on cruises. They can be dressed up or down and worn more places on the ship. Just a thought.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Liv,
during the day you will be living in shorts, t-shirts, tanks/halters, your bathing suit with cover-up, flip-flops,or water sandals and sneakers(for shore trips)
For dinner you will need casual outfits- sundress, capris & a nice top, dockers type pants with a nice top, flat sandals, things like that. Guys will need a couple of pair of dockers type pants and polo or button short-sleeve shirts and casual shoes.
For formal nights - men will need to either rent a tux, wear a suit & tie or dress slacks, dress shirt & tie w/dress shoes.
Ladies can wear long dressess, long gowns, a dressy long skirt w/ a sparkly or dressy blouse, dressy pants w/a dressy or sparkly top or a dressy cocktail dress.
Make sure that everyone has a good pair of walking sneakers, and water sandals or flip-flops because beach sand and the ships decks get very hot.
Don't forget all your basic everyday toiletry needs, SUNSCREEN, Aloe burn-jel, medications - bring enough for the week, prescription or over-the-counter. If you take prescription meds its a good idea to bring a copy of the prescription (especially for painkillers and narcotics) just in case.
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:56 PM
i-love-rugby

i love board shorts and rash guards, they are so comfortable!
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:41 AM
mumof4

Default Re: Re: Teen outfits

We are sailing on Carnival, and my 2 girls are wondering if they can wear their jean skirts in the dining room for lunch. a friend that sailed with RCL said that no jeans at all were allowed in the dining room, even for lunch.