Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

Default Childrens formal attire?

Our family is taking our first cruise on July 18th, 2005 on the Majesty of the Seas.
We have 3 sons (18, 13 & 12 yrs. old) and 1 daughter (9 yrs. old).
How do I dress them for "Formal Night"?

I was thinking, boys - dockers, dress shirt and shoes.
girl - cute party dress.

This should be acceptable on formal night, yah think?

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Childrens formal attire?

My sons (now 21 & 11) wore suits, dress shirts, ties and dress shoes on formal nights, and khaki pants with short sleeved shirt with a collar on the other nights. If you add a sport coat and tie to what you're planning on it will be fine. If the boys don't have sport coats check your local thrift stores. I bought my 11 y.o. son a nice navy blue sport coat for $3.99. The party dress for your daughter is fine. Don't forget to have your picture taken with everyone dressed up. It makes a nice souvenir.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Donetz

Just got off the cruise and saw kids dressed up. One family had 2 daughters , 6 and 9 and a son of 5 . GIrls were in black(party) dresses and with velvet bows in their hair. Little boy had a vest and a tie. The family had their picture done on formal night and they looked really nice. My daughter who is 18 wore a dress she got from Charlotte Russell and her girlfriend got a dress from Dillards.My son is 20 wore dark grey dress slacks, dark grey shirt with a tie, black belt and black shoes.(no jacket)
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
cali-croozer

My sons, (ages 11-13 first cruise, 13-15 second cruise, and 15-17 upcoming cruise) wear docker type pants (blue and khaki) for non-formal nights along with a polo or hawaiian type shirt. For formal nights, you will see many teen boys in dress pants, dress shirt and tie, dress shoes. Some will have a jacket, but if they don't own one, I wouldn't go out and buy one.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Beginner

I have three daughters ( 6, 12, 15) and went on RCCL last summer. They got decked out in long formals - it was a blast for them. We found the formals at post holiday sales - cheap, cheap, cheap! RCCL hosted some sort of a "prom" after one formal night and the teens had an awesome time - they stayed dressed up and danced.
A family friend went along with a teenage boy and girl. He wore a navy sports jacket with khakis and tie. I don't think the tie made it through the dinner!
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Mom - your boy's are old enough to wear dress pants, dress shirt, tie, dress shoes and a jacket. Regular Dockers are too casual. Dockers makes a dress pant, look for sales on those. You can also pick up a nice jacket fairly cheap at your local thrift store. You can get dress shirts and ties at KMart, Target or WalMart.
You are fine for your girl. Check the after holiday sales now fore great deals.
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Admiral

My son wore dress khakis, dress shirt, tie and navy blazer. He was just SURE no other teens would be dressed that way, but in fact, we didn't see any teens or kids that *weren't* dressed up.

And remember - it makes for a great family formal picture!!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:20 PM
pookie

Go to goodwill and pick up very nice sports coats for $4!!!!!!! I was also able to find two pair of dress shoes like brand new for $1 each!!!!!!!!!! I bought new shirts and ties and pants! We are all set!
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:24 PM
sailgirl

My 12 year old son wore docker type pants and a dress shirt to formal as well as non formal nights. I thought he looked very nice. I won't buy him a suit until he really needs one for a big religious occassion next year. This was fine for both cruises. I don't worry about what others think and I don't worry about what others wear. If a perfect stranger or that stranger's kids dress nicer or sloppy, it doesn't influence my enjoyment in the least. My teen daughters dressed in nice dresses because they enjoy getting dressed up.
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM
MSR

My sons have been cruising since they were little boys --and always had suits, dress shirts and ties, tied by their dad! It really brings the manners and behavior up to the level of dress! and, they remained in these clothes for the evening! However, sadly, now, anything seems to work and the alternate dining in the lido area at dinner seems to relieve people of dressing for dinner. We have also been aware of the families in the DR whose sons were in baggy dockers and unpressed shirts with tails out and open necks....Dressing up does make for some great family photos onboard!
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM
sailgirl

We have had some fabulous family photos taken on formal night on our cruises. I always focus on the glowing happy faces of my family, not on my 12 year old's docker pants or the girls' hoopy earings. My teen daughters dress in lovely dresses. I am happy in black dress pants and a sparkly shirt. I don't care what strangers wear on vacation. We work and scrimp and save all year for our vacation and life is too short to worry about what STRANGERS wear on vacation. Happy Cruising to all!
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Yeoman

Just found a great deal!!!!!!
T.J. Maxx had boys (sizes 10-16) 2 piece suits on clearance for 15.00
So I bought 2 nice black ones. The boys are gonna look so handsome!
Now I just need some dress shoes.............Oh it never ends!
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Childrens formal attire?

No one cares what anyone else thinks, I just want to go with the flow............
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM
lisa o.

Just found two nice suits at JCPenney's on clearance for $13. They also had perfect ties for $1.77. As long as the rest of my family is dressing up, I'm glad to try and put my five year olds into formal attire. I'm sure at least one of them will be trying to get his tie off as we head into dinner. Have a great cruise and enjoy. We leave tomorrow a.m.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Admiral

momX4 - great deal, good for you. As for shoes, do you have a Payless near you? look for their buy one get one 50% off sales. KMart sells Thom McAnn dress shoes.
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM
cali-croozer

Congratulations on everyone's bargains!!!! Love to get stuff like that.