Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Koshka

Default Formal night on RCCL Voyager

RCCL Voyager is our first cruise.

I packed a dress to wear on formal night, but suspect that my dear hubby will refuse to wear a suit (forget about taxedo..).

He'll want to wear slacks and shirt on formal night - would it be ok? :-O
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Andre

Default Re: Formal night on RCCL Voyager

I was just on this ship in December. The fomal nights were fairly elegant (especially the first one - the Captain's party). If you eat in the fomal dining room that night, MOST or ALL men will be in at least a suit and you will see a fair amount of dinner jackets (seemed like about 30-40% dinner jackets the first formal night - maybe fewer the second). While I have no doubt there were non-jacket-&-tie wearers somewhere, I never saw any near me - at least none that were over their teens. If he's willing to EVER wear a suit, he should then, or he'll probably look way out of place (at least that first formal night). Interpret that how you wish.

Seriously, you will always find somebody bucking propriety and generally getting away with it, but it's really better if you either dress properly on those nights, or simply choose another dining option those nights. These are very elegant evenings and it's all part of the fantasy - playing along is a lot more fun than party-pooping. (if he still refuses, it's probable, though not assured, that you will be let into the dining room, and it is likely nobody will say anything. But the four other people dressed up at your table will care on the inside!)

You'll love this ship. Gorgeous!

Have fun,
Andre
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Is a black sports jacket, white shirt and nice dress slacks acceptable for a formal night ?--thought I could cut back on what to pack just by packing 2 pr of slacks for the formal nights.
What is your opinion?
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

kb - add a tie and you will be fine.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Koshka

Just talked to my mom - she cruised on RCCL and Princess, ate in main dining room every evening. Her points:

1. As long as you are not wearing shorts or dirty jeans, nobody cares
2. There will be people in taxedos/long dresses
3. There will also be people NOT in taxedos and NOT in suits. Short dress is also OK.
4. There was a gentelmen wearing tax/bow tie and shorts. He was everyone's favorite.
5. My dad brought formal suit to his first cruise and never bothered to do it on other cruises. Wore nice slacks on formal night. Was still welcomed in dining room. Noone cared.
5. Pls. refer to ##1 again!

:-)
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM
Andre

(It's tuxedo, not taxedo)

This is just more of the same old arguement. Just because you can get away with it, does NOT make it right. I can say nothing about Princess, but I can tell you what I saw on Voyager just a month ago: Lots of folks were in tuxes, those that weren't were either in suits or sport coats. I don't think there was any significant percentage that didn't put on a tie. I can assure you, nobody was wearing shorts and CERTAINLY nobody sane would go to the trouble of wearing a tux on top, but shorts below (where's the benefit - other than being silliy on purpose?).

I can assure you that were somebody to appear in such an outfit AND be let into the dining room (a dubious possiblity) he would not be "everyone's favorite." Many, many people would find it rediculous. He WOULD be everyone's clown. Is that something to aim for? Do you enjoy having numerous people laugh about you behind your back? Some people do. That's your decision.

Maybe not EVERYONE cares if you go extra-casual on formal nights, but most people do. What you do on the ship is one thing, but in the formal dining room on formal night is different.

Look, this is your first cruise. Your mother is either giving you bad information, or bad advice. There are a lot of things you can do that you will get away with (at least until cruise lines start enforcing their own policies), but is that really what you want? You should not base your life on doing the minimum that you can get away with - even if some choose to do so.

Take my advice, bring proper attire for your first cruise. If you find that I'm lying to you and half of the people at wearing casual wear at formal night diners and that those who dress most clownishly are the most respected among everyone, then I'll eat my keyboard. Most likely, you will find that most people are dressed elegantly and that the 10% of adults that refuse to do so look out of place.

Andre
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Koshka, i have sailed on Princess many, many times and i will tell you that i have never seen anyone in the main dining rooms on formal nights in jeans or shorts. 100% of the men and boys either had on dark suits, tuxedos or sports jackets dress slacks, dress shirts , few sported banded collars that don't require ties, most had on ties.
All of the women were either in gowns,long dresses, dressy long skirts with dressy or sparkly tops, dressy cocktail dresses or dressy pants with dressy/sparkly tops.
This should be a NON-ISSUE because ALL of the cruise lines offer casual dining ALTERNATIVES to those who do not want to dress up on formal nights, if you plan on dining in the MAIN DINING rooms on formal nights, you should dress accordingly. Its just common courtesy towards your fellow passengers who enjoy getting dressed up and take the time and make the efforrt. IF you don't want to get dress-up on formal nights, that is FINE, just choose to dine in one of the CASUAL dining restaurants those nights. I will get off my soapbox now.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Koshka

Hi Andre!

First of all, thank you for correcting my spelling errors - English is not my native language, should have done spell check.. :-)

I would like to let you know that I will not "base my life on doing the minimum that you can get away with" - when it comes to my family, my work, etc.

In this particular case we are talking about cruise attire, really.. :-)

Regarding my mom's advise - I disagreed with her on numerous occasions - only to find that she never failed to see things just the way they are..

I will certainly get back to you post cruise to give an update.
In any case, I assure you, there will be no need to eat your keyboard.. ;-)
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
Andre

Well I'll keep some ketchup ready just in case.

:-)

Andre

(I don't normally correct other people's spellings, since mine is so lousy, but it occured to me that you might simply not know the word, rather than a simple misspelling. No offense intended - looks like none taken.)
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Koshka

UPDATE (as promised):

Got back from cruising on Voyager.
Had a great time - as expected!!

Every night went to the main dining room and observed... :

1. My mom was absolutely right (pls. see my post above)
2. It is really up to you what to wear on formal night (tux or slacks, or..)
3. There are probably some people who care what other people wear - but then, there are always people who are "concerned" for other people more then they should be.
4. Cruiseline certainly does not care much about attire - they care about people having a good time. "Formal" wear is optional... Andre, don't hate me :-)

Now, some funny things I'd like to mention (just an observation):

1. Some ladies in "formal" gowns should probably cover up some more..
2. Some men look better in jeans then other men in formal attire.
3. Some people think that if it's a formal night then you should put on ALL jewelery that you own.
4. Some people never know/care for formal nights. Others love formal nights and make a big deal out of it. It does not matter, really.. it's a free country.
5. Everyone had a good time!

Now a big fan of cruising - Koshka
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Andre

Glad you had a good time Koshka. Beautiful ship.

Are you saying that on FORMAL NIGHTS you saw LOTS of people not even wearing a suit? I'm not talking about non-formal nights, but on formal nights, you saw more than just a few people who refused to go beyond casual level in the main dining room during dinner?

If that is true, it differs greatly from what I've seen. A few, unfortunately, would not surprise me, but any number big enough to pay much attention to certainly would. I would say that the vast majority dressed up in some way on formal nights when I was on Voyager recently.

Oh well. Doesn't bug me really - I just feel sad about it. The days of being able to have an elegant fantasy night in public are being beaten down by the jeans-wearing mob. It's too bad, really.
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Flagators
Default Re: Re: Formal night on RCCL Voyager

Koshka, nothing really to do with formal night but can you tell me if Richard Spacey is still the Cruise Director on VOS? We saw him last year on Voyager and loved him. We will be going again in 23 days(but who's counting) and cannot find out if he will be on the ship. Thank you.

Old February 17th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Andre

Flagators,

Well when I was on Voyager in December, it was an Aussie woman. Can't remember her name, but I'm about 99.99% sure it wasn't Richard. :-)

I don't know if they rotate or anything though.

Andre
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Koshka

Default Re: Re: Formal night on RCCL Voyager

Hi again,

We had this annoying British (Aussie?) lady named Becky (the "Hello Loves!" lady)..
She ain't stupid, and she tries real hard, but.. charm is almost non-existent..
Old February 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Flagators

Thanks for the update on the cruise director. We were really hoping it was Richard. Oh well I'm sure it will still be a fun time.