Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:44 PM
boisterous bethany

Default Taking Insulin, syringes & other diabetic supplies

Hi everybody, i'm going to be taking my first cruise on Carnival in May( it's a mothers day cruise, whatever that means). I'm a type 1 diabetic and take insulin 4 times a day. Someone told me you can't just take syringes in board. Is there a procedure or is this person just clueless? Also, I have a 5 & 10 yr old. How much does camp carnival cost during the day? I'm going with quiet a bit of extended family and we want adult days and kid days. Any & all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bethany
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
Andee

Default Re: Taking Insulin, syringes & other diabetic supplies

Although I haven't taken insulin syringes, I have flown and cruises with an Epi-pen syringe. I was only questioned once in an airport, but still took the precaution of getting a letter from my MD saying why I need to carry it.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bethany, they syringes should be fine. Be sure to pack all of your meds and testing supplies in you carry on so you aren't without your insulin if your bags are delayed in getting to your room. If your drivers license says "insulin dependent" you shouldn't need a letter from the MD.

What ship are you cruisng on? We are also cruising on mother's day.

Old February 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
MSR

once on board, you should get something from the steward to safely dispose of the needles. if there is not a refrig in the cabin for the insulin, i think you can ask and they can bring one in for you .........
there is no charge for the kids program......there is a charge if you wish to have a sitter in your cabin for just your kids during the evening.........but i have not been on carnival......u might want to post another question just on the kids topic...........
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Jane Burns

My husband is an insulin dependant diabetic also. We had absolutely no problem bringing insulin, syringes, and testing equipment on board.

Increased security at airports since September 11th has resulted in suggestions that diabetics carry a letter or note on a prescription pad from their physician stating you are diabetic and must carry supplies with you. NEVER put your insulin, syringes, etc. in your checked luggage! You will not have problems at airports if you have your Dr.'s note.

As far as disposing of needles, we always make sure we have an empty clear plastic bottle (juice, water, etc.) Each used needle is placed in the bottle, then capped, and stored in a drawer or cupboard. The bottle prevents accidental 'sticks' from just tossing them in the garbage - an unsafe and irresponsible action in our opion.

Once the bottle is full of used needles or the trip is ending, we personally give it to our cabin steward so that we can make sure he receives it safely and knows it is from insulin useage (not heroin!). The steward may tell you that you can dispose of the needles at the on-board doctor's office, but that's a pain to do twice a day, so we have had excellent results with the 'empty plastic bottle' method when travelling.

Enjoy!
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Late hubby was diabet ic and on insulin and a bunch of other perscriptions. It is suggested that all meds be packed in carry-ons in their original pharmacy labeled containers. A Dr. note may be helpful. We flew/cruised 12/01, 11/02 and 6/03 w/o problems following this procedure.
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM
boisterious bethany

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. Jane, the steward didn't give you a hard time about disposing of the syringes did he? I use the little plastic coke bottle in my car all the time. I wonder if I could use the little coke bottle and then turn it in the morning when we leave the ship?????? I am defiantly going to get the note from my physcian. I'm a new type 1 diabetic so I'm still learning. Thanks for the advice all.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Taking Insulin, syringes & other diabetic suppli

Bethany,

I am insulin dependant and I carried my insulin and syringes and testing supplies in my carry on with a note from my MD. No problem going thru the xray scanners at the airports or on the ship. No one questionned it. Was on the Valor in January. The medical center will give you a syringe disposal container if you stop in and ask. No charge. Our room steward said he would take care of it at the end of the cruise and it would be returned to the medical center to be disposed of properly with the other "hazardous waste." Insulin will keep at room temperature for at least one week if it is not exposed to extreme temperatures. I was concerned since airlines are so particular about anything that is a "sharp" and could be considered a possible weapon. I did take new bottles in the original box with label. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful voyage. Terri Ann