Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Donut

Default Beach towels

This is my first cruise . . . we are going on Royal Caribbean - Navigator on March 26.
The message board has given me great ideas and helped me plan . . . however,
do we need to pack beach towels for the tours. We are planning on swimming with the dolphins and laying out at some of the beaches off the ship. Does the ship provide towels or should we take our own.

Please advise. We are taking our kids 17, 14 & 10, my inlaws and sister-n-law and her family with children.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Beach towels

you can take the towels that are in your room, but if you don't bring them back you get charged!

banker
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Bezor

Pick up a few beach towels at Wal-mart. They're cheap and you won't mind as much if they get lost or stolen. Besides the kids will love having their favorite characters (Nemo, etc.) and it will eliminate fights over which towel belongs to whom.

As far as packing goes you can use the towels to wrap breakables OR, if needed, leave them behind so you can have more packing room.
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We bring our own. I buy cheap ones at a discount store. If you lay them flat in the bottom of the suitcase, pack your stuff and then fold the ends over the top they really don't take up much room. If you lose a ship towel they charge you $20-$25 per towel. I don't want to spend my vacation keeping track of the kids towels.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Admiral

we do not pack beach towels, we use the beach towels we get in our cabin, the ships beach towels are nice, large and fairly thick, just toss them in your beach bag when you go ashore. Your kids are old enough to be responsible for their own beach backpack with their stuff including towels, just make sure that they know that they are responsible for these items and if they loose or forget their towel they will be responsible for any charges.
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM
cali-croozer

I pack my own towels too. Yes, we are all old enough to be responsible for our towels, but when we're all swimming in the ocean, I don't want to have to post a guard at our stuff. People have been know to steal cruise towels to replace the ones they lost. This happened to a family on a Goff's Caye excursion. One of their towels disappeared, but, of course, nobody on the excursion boat would fess up. Just one less thing to worry about, plus our towels are easy to spot. No right or wrong here, just remember to keep an eye on those cruise towels if you end up using them.
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Passenger

I never leave home without a couple of beach towels. I leave the ones the ship gives you in the room for a bath towel. We bought a couple of towels while shopping on the island but I would advise using them unless you have a chance to wash them. One of the kids decided to grab it and use it but all little fabric hairs came off him in color he was literally black & blue for a while (the colors of the towel) until it all came off.

Liberty of the Seas
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM
MSR

Just use the towels from the ship. As you leave, the stewards hand them out--take a couple! What on earth would you do with your own soggy, sandy towels in your cabin and then in your luggage?? there are always plenty for shore and for the pool areas.
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
cali-croozer

MSR...........yes, this is the downside of bringing your own towels, although I just pop them in the laundry because I usually have to do laundry for post-cruise touring (I know.......that's no fun ).

PS....On Carnival, they don't hand out towels when you leave the ship. You need to take the towels from your room and if they're not returned, they charge you $22. That's why some people have chosen to start taking their own on shore.
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM
ehogan

I agree with those bringing their own, cheap towels.

Who needs to worry about losing or having expensive ship towels stolen.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:20 PM
koshka

Actually, on RCI they have separate sets of towels - white ones to use in your room (at least 3 per person), and yellow ones (beach towels). Both will be in your room. We brought beach towel, and there was no need in it..
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Passenger

koshka---explain the towel thing to me again, just want to be sure I understand. We are going in June, 4 of us and I don't want to have to pack towels if I don;t have to. White towels I am assuming are for the shower, the yellow ones to take with you to the pool and shore stuff. Are these the beach towles that everyone is talking about not losing??? Also how big are these towels? I just don't want to hae a bunch of our towels hanging around the room wet and dirty from the sand and stuff. Let me know, thanks kmbb
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:12 PM
First Mate

I can explain it to you kmbb. The white towels are for showering and the beige or yellow color towels are for the pool and shore stuff. They leave a few of all the towels in your room everyday. You can get new towels every day no wet , sandy towels will be left in your room. If you need more towels just ask your room attendant. Yes these are the towels that everyone is talking about not losing, there is a note in your cabin about the charge for missing towels. These towels are a little bigger bath towel but definitely not a large beach towel. If you have the room and if you like large towels take your own. If not the cruise line towels work just fine.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the information, I'm only going to pack two beach towels. We might not even use them but at least I'll have them if needed. I just didn't want alot of wet towels laying around our room trying to dry them out. THANKS KMBB
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
MizzCard

I was wondering this same thing. We're each carrying a small backpack for just the necessities for our tour. I really didn't want to carry a bulky towel. Think I'll pick up a couple cheap towels just for this purpose.