Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Default accpt. clothing for breakfast and lunch??

I was just wondering...with all this talk about what clothing should be worn on formal nights...what clothing is generally worn for breakfast and lunch. I hope that doesnt sound like a stupid question.
Also...is a pantsuit acceptable as formal or would a dress be more formal?
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Andre

Default Re: accpt. clothing for breakfast and lunch??

Casual (nice pants/skirt & shirt), or less-than-casual (shorts, t's, sandals, etc.) is generally fine for your other meals. Just avoid going to meals in your bathing suit (though some will)!

As far as your formal question:

It depends on whether you are actually trying to be "formal," or whether you are just trying to wear something acceptable on those nights. "Formal," among other things, means a long gown, BUT your host (the cruise ship) allows the informal option if you prefer. "Informal" means a dark suit for men, and the equivalently appropriate for women. This might mean a cocktail length dress, or in your case, a pantsuit. So you are fine wearing a pantsuit on formal night - not because a pantsuit is formal, but because your host allows the informal option.

As always, we should separate out the definition from reality. Cruise ships call it "formal," which in the real world means black tie (or at least black tie preferred), but it is really black tie optional at best. You might see a significant percentage in true formal (it was about 40% for last time I cruised), but you won't be out of place dressed informally, in your pantsuit. Personally, I enjoy black tie dressing and I think most of the people in black tie on ships do it for that reason - rather than any sense of formal duty.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Koshka

.. or you can wear whatever you feel like - as long as you are not naked.
... and you will see A LOT of bathing attire (plus shorts, or short skirt, or sporty pants).
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM
cali-croozer

What cruiseline? On Carnival, breakfast and lunch attire is casual but no bathing suits are allowed in the dining room.
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

shorts & t-shirts are allowed in the dining rooms for breakfast & lunch. You will see people in their bathing suits with cover-ups at the buffets for lunch and dinner.
TeeJay - if your pantsuit is of a dressy fabric it will be fine. If it is a business type pantsuit then just dress it up with either a sparkly or silky dressy blouse, dressy heels, nice jewlery and you will be all set.
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Whoa!!...the pantsuit is for my wife....im just the hubby...LMAO!!
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

whoops! you never specified if you were male or female, can't tell from your name.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:49 AM
Yeoman

I hate wearing skirts and dresses, and have several St Johns pants outfits (if you know what they are). I wear those on formal nights and am very comfy. You will see people decked out from head to toe (one guy looked like Liberace every night) and others will be a bit more casual. The men in our group (my dad, brother, husband, and 3 yr old son) all wore suits. The table next to ours this last trip-the guys wore caps almost every night (except the one formal night that they acutally came to) which sort of irked us. Breakfast and lunch-pretty much anything goes as long as youre covered up, not wearing anything offensive (like sayings on tee shirts) and shoed!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM
MSR

i like capris and shirts, sandals--outfits by fresh produce are good over bathing suits when you get off ship to go to a beach--also the velour lounge suits are good in the am especially when it is a bit cool in the air conditioning.............a good coverup for lunchtime is essential when you are coning in from the pool area.