Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty
Default TSA locks where to buy cheap

The TSA locks are rather pricey for such a small item, I have found they are usually $8-10 a piece, I need at least 3 of them. Is there somewhere inexpensive to buy them cheaper such discount store. I went to a Sporting goods store today and they never heard of them.
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
ehogan

Default Re: TSA locks where to buy cheap

You can buy them on line at either www.ricksteves.com or www.ebags.com
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM
cali-croozer

We just use the plastic cable ties that were the only approved method of locking suitcases before TSA locks became available. You can get 100 for a couple of bucks. If you decide to use this option, just be sure to pack a small pair of manicure type scissors in an unlocked outside pocket so you can cut them off at your destination (and leave a little slack to make it easier to cut off)
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

With the cable ties did you use them to keep your luggage locked in the room or just for the airport? If the air port cut's them I would have to put on a spare before the cruise I think since any luggage on board has to be locked. As for the TSA's I know about e bags and checked the other site I was just trying to find them cheaper, I think they are over priced and Im sure they only cost a dollar or so at most to the manufactorer, it's another way to rip off the public. But much thanks to both of you for your advice.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
Andre

I think you are better off with the cable ties. Since luggage theft is mostly a crime of opportunity, just doing SOMETHING would be enough to make a baggage handler luggage thief move to an completely unlocked bag first. And if he actually has something to cut off the tie, he could just as easily have something to cut off the lock (not that difficult). Meaning a non-determined thief WILL get into your bag no matter what you do and a non-determined thief will move on at the slightest trouble.

Plus, I have heard of TSA locks being cut off by TSA inspectors anyway because they didn't have a key at the time. Probably not common. Just do the cable ties.

As far as locking your bags in the room. ?????? Has the cruise line told you that you need to keep all of your stuff locked up in your cabin? Other than the things I put in the room safe, if I had to worry about locking things up every day, I'd be going on a different vacation entirely NOT on the SS Crime of the Seas.

Andre
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
cali-croozer

About the cable ties.......I use them for the airport, and also when dropping off the luggage at the port. Once in my room, I unpack and any valuables (which there are few.....) go into the safe.

If the TSA searches your bag, they will replace the cable tie with a TSA cable tie and put a notice inside your suitcase to let you know. This happened last trip. They seemed to be very careful with my clothes, but couldn't figure out how to get one shoe back in the suitcase, so they put it in an outside pocket. I guess my packing system is more like a puzzle.....I use every available inch!

About spares.......with the cable ties, you will have more than enough spares; just carry them in your purse or in an unlocked outside pocket in case you need another.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

My friend just gave me a bunch of cable ties so I will use them thanks, if I keep a small scizzors in the outside pocket of my suitcase will security take it? Or can I carry a small nail clipper in my purse or is that considered a weapon? So that I have something handy to cut the ties.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:40 PM
cali-croozer

Not sure about the nail clippers.........your airline's website should have an updated list of what is allowed. If you put a pair of small scissors in an outside pocket of your checked luggage, it will not be taken. I bought a manicure set at the $1 store and just put that in the pocket........it's only purpose is to cut those ties ! Remember to leave a little slack; those ties are useful, but a bit tough to cut.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Will do thanks!
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Windy- Car keys can cut the ties, it is obviously a little harder than using something with a sharp edge but that has always worked for me, plus you would be able to carry keys on your flight. Bazar idea yes, lol but it works in a pinch.
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Matt I will keep it in mind or if need be borrow a steak knife frome the dining room on board
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Passenger

Hi All,

Leaving on 03/26/05--RCL Voyager---We've cruised twice before and never had any problems with theft, but I've always worried that something would be missing once we made it to the ship. I never thought about cable ties and would feel more comfortable
at least having those. Could anyone tell me where I can find them...

Thanks and happy sailing,

Lisa
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Becky5830

We just returned from San Juan where we cruised on the Golden Princess. I used cable ties on all of my suitcases. The TSA did go through one of my suitcases and did not replace it with another cable tie - leaving my main compartment unlocked. They did leave a note inside the suitcase saying they had examined the contents of the bag. In the future I will check my cable ties before checking them in at the airport. I was able to carry small fingernail clippers in my purse onboard Northwest airlines and also put one in an outside pocket of my suitcase that I left unlocked.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Becky5830

Lisa M -- I bought the cable ties at Walmart about $2.00 for 100 of them. I bought the smallest size they had so they would easily go through zipper pulls. They can be found in the electrical department of the store. My husband also found them at ACE Hardware,
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Great tips from you all!!! Thanks a whole bunch. Never thought about the cable ties. I had used small paddle locks with keys, what a pain.
Carole
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: TSA locks where to buy cheap

Becky5830,

Thanks for the info. I didn't even think about different sizes. I'll being going to Walmart
today!!!

Thanks Again,

Lisa M.
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruisedoll10292

Walgreens