Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty
Default carry on luggage clothes change

Ok, Im flying out of Chicago and it's cold and nasty here so far, my cruise is in April. I've heard it can take some time before your cabin is ready and your luggage, so Im thinking of packing some summer clothes or a swimsuit in my carry on, this way I can relax on deck while my cabin is being prepared, for those of you who have cruised before is this a good idea?
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: carry on luggage clothes change

Yes. I put my swimsuit and a change of clothes in my carryon just in case I don't get my suitcase before dinner (that only happened once).

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Beginner

On my last cruise I left in December and I wore my sandals to the airport and there was snow on the ground. Of course I got dropped off and I only had to trudge through the airport. I layer my clothes so that I have a light short sleeve t shirt on, that way when I get to the warm weather I am able to shed the extra layers. I also wear a jacket or sweater that will work for the cruise.
Take a skirt or shorts and a swimsuit. And you're. set. Your carry on won't be bogged down with too many extras.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

being that we are New Englanders and we cruise in the winter, this is what i wear. I will travel in a comfy pair of cotton pants, a t-shirt, sneakers and a zip-front sweatshirt. I pack in my carry-on, a pair of shorts, my bathing suit and a pair of pants or capris just in case my clothes don't arrive to my stateroom in time for dinner.
We always fly down a day early just in case of weather or other problems that could cause delays. If its warm and sunny on departure day we leave the hotel in shorts.
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM
on behalf of Steve

Thanks for the advice all!
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Zoom & Sparky

I heard that the luggage can take a long time to get to your stateroom, but I never heard that the stateroom itself might not be ready. To me that is a very different thing.

I don't mind taking my carry-on to my stateroom, changing and enjoying the ship, but I don't want to have to walk around with my carry-on luggage all afternoon waiting for my stateroom to be available.

Which is it?

Old March 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
First Mate

They are usually ready by 1:00 or so but you can always drop your carry-on luggage in your room. Your attendant will not mind.

Old March 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

when they tell you that your stateroom isn't ready all that means is that your room steward is in there still cleaning and getting things sparkling ready for you. You can always drop your carry-on off in your stateroom, go grab a bite to eat and relax up on deck.
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Kathy & Dave

I read a neat tip somewhere...when you are flying from a cold climate to a warm one, bring an empty, inexpensive garment bag in your carryon. Then take your winter coat, and any other layers you may "shed" and put them in the garment bag. Sounds like a good idea to me. If I was still living up north, I'd do that myself!

Old April 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: carry on luggage clothes change

I've been on cruises when rooms weren't ready we we checked in early. The cruise line provided an attended area where one could check carry ons for retrieval later. We were given a raffle type ticket to match up when we retrieved.

That way we could go have lunch and explore the ship without dragging bags with us. That worked quite well.
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruisedoll10292

Thats what i did it wa awesome we got to go in the pool and look around right away