Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
First Mate

Default is wearing the same formal wear both nights tacky?

i have a great leapard print silk dress that can be accesorized ( a great scarf and different jewlery ) so it can be worn both nghts. this will be a alaskan cruise on carnival. not that this should make a difference ( i love carnival and will keep cruising with them ) but i have heard that the alaskan cruises are more casual. is this tacky or has it become something that is done a little more often now with the weight limits on the planes. i will need to pack very lightly and not take a huge bag. what do any of you cruise-fashion experts think ( smiling )?

thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:31 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: is wearing the same formal wear both nights tacky?

Men do it, so why not women. There was a recent post, on another site, on the same subject. The majority agreed that, especially with accessories to change the look, it would be perfectly acceptable to wear the same dress twice.
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
First Mate

thanks cali. im glad to hear that. i feel this will be a more casual cruise and that i can get away with it. i really am not a big dressy-upper person anyway and if i only have to take one outfit i will be happy. im going to go for it and do the ''concealer-act''.

can you tell me the other site with just the first 2 letters of the site ( in case it is not allowed or right here to mention another one )? i would like to read it if i can find it.

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM
cali-croozer

I don't know if you will find it with just www.cr; however, if you do a search for cruise discussion boards, you will find many. Some are very busy, others have very little traffic.
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: is wearing the same formal wear both nights tacky?

thanks cali

i will do a search.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I wouldn't say that the Alaskian cruises are more casual than Caribbean, at least in my expierence it didn't, not sure where that comes from. Formal was formal, even in Alaska, still men in Tux's as well. Your outfit sounds fine anyway, just be comfortable.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
First Mate

donna

thanks for letting me know my dress sounds fine. i love the way it looks and it is very comfy and floaty ( if you know what i mean ). i cant wait to wear it. thanks alot .
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: is wearing the same formal wear both nights tack

sounds like a good idea - wear same - possibly long skirt with two dressy tops? I might try that.

When is your cruise to alaska - I am doing one on June 15 - Northbound.

Mary
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: is wearing the same formal wear both nights

mary p

i always mix and match. a silkiy long black skirt and two different sparkly or sequened tops would work perfect. i am going to cover my shoulders with a wonderful scarf that will go nicely with the dress and different jewlery for the 2nd formal nite. i will be very comfy and still look like a million. i am goin on the 18th of may. cant wait.
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM
MSR

I concur--i think alaska is a little more casual--it's the fact that the great outdoors is the focus, not the cruisers!
Wear the same dress--i routinely do this with clothes i love because i discovered that people generally pay the most attention to themselves and can't remember what anyone else is wearing! Most people will think you are a clever packer!
The only people i really wonder about are the ones walking around in bathrobes or negligees (seriously) at breakfast or at the midnight buffets..........my only charitable thought is that they lost their suitcases.....
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:51 AM
First Mate

thanks for the support msr. i did notice on my last cruise that others wore the same dress ( acceccorized differently ) and no one even gave them a second glance.

bathrobes and negligess at breakfast and midnight buffetts. that is just too inconsiderate and lazy in my opinion. how can people dress like that and think that they wont be noticed. or sad to say , some just dont care. i sure hope i dont see that. and you are very kind hearted to think that they have lost their luggage. i somewhat doubt it.
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Wearing same dress twice ? If that is tacky, then I am REALLY BIG TROUBLE for my next cruise. Have checked my list of clothes I will be packing, because of airline weight and size restrictions I note that "my little black dress " will be coming out 6 (SIX ) times.

I will use various disguises, diferent coloured brocade vests, jacket and stoles.

Hope all the other passengers are colour blind.!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your cruise.
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:30 AM
First Mate

evelyn

wow, you a woman i can relate too. i love '' the little black dress''. and i love looking for things to pick up when i am shopping to turn mine into different looks. i bet you will look great in all your '''disguises''' and what a super packer you must be.

i guess in my post i should have said would it be ok instead of being tacky? well, it was 1am ( i had just gotten home from work ). im glad i am getting such good replies on my choice of what to wear for formal nite.

i am hoping they are color blind to--hehehehe.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM
Andre

I won't even BEGIN to address women's formal wear, but I'd like to clarify something about men's formal wear: It's the same because that's the nature of it, not because men are somehow getting away with something that women can't. Men's formal dressing has a specific formula, rooted in the past. A properly black tied man looks a certain way because that's how it works, not because he doesn't want to be bothered with wearing a different outfit to each event! A women who gears her black tie dressing to this same formula, may be commiting a major fashion sin - so be forwarned.

That said, men CAN mix it up a bit by wearing a white dinner jacket, either instead of, or alternating with, the traditional black one. This is particularly appropriate on cruises (since white dinner jackets are an outdoor, summer thing, they are suitible for tropical cruising).

Men's formal wear is what it is and may not be criticisable on the same level. I'll let someone who KNOWS mix it up about what may be appropriate, or tacky for women.

Andre
Old March 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

On my HAL Oosterdam cruise last year I wore the same "little black dress" on both formal nights. I was completely comfortable in it and with the decision to wear it 2x in one week. It's amazing how you can change the look with different jewelry, etc.

Have fun!
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Linda G.

When one dresses they are dressing for themselves and not for their fellow cruisers. By all means wear something nice that you feel confortable in. How much you pack in bags is a big consideration especially if you are flying to or out of a port. Most women love to shop in the different places where the ship's port; I would rather fill my luggage with nice momentos of the places I have visited than with clothing!
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:49 AM
First Mate

thanks fisch and linda g.

i am glad to know that more passengers are doing this. and as you say linda--i would rather have more room for the special things i pick up in the ports. shopping is a big part of my cruise adventure also. and i just found the most wonderful accessories last week-end for the dress. so i am ready to go and i will be so comfy and looking good. cant wait to go.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:41 AM
linda g.

Antron,
I always bring a small bottle of liquid detergent so I can wash clothing. It is always wise to bring clothes that are easily washable . I also bring clothing in three basic colors; white, blue, and black and just mix and match them! The more I have cruised the less I pack.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Donna T

I agree with the other people, if you're comfortable wearing the same thing for both formal nights, then go for it. I was surprised at how many people (women) check out what you are wearing on formal night! It made me glad I brought 2 "fancy" outfits. The favorite color seemed to be black (in Feb). I like outfits that don't take up much room. Slinky dress or skirt/dressy tops are my favs. Poor hubby had to take a bulky suit and dress shoes. Everyone dressed up at our table and it was a very festive night although we changed into something more casual after dinner and attended the shows.
Old June 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Yeoman

I am sure the guys are not going to run about and buy 2 different suits for both formal nights.......Why not wear the same outfit? who is really going to know the difference?
Save the money and spend it elsewhere. Have fun!!!!!!!!

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM
PiperMcB

I have a black sleeveless traveller's knit long dress. I change it up by wearing a beaded silk chiffon poncho and yellow gold with diamonds and black strappy sandals one night. The other night I wear a pink silk lace poncho, pink saphires and pink slubbed silk sandals. Looks totally different!
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
First Mate

piper

your outfits sound gorgeous. what a great way to acceserize. i need to pick up a little black dress myself for future cruises. i have found out here with my question how much it can be changed and made to look fabulous with the right peices to put with it.

Old June 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM
piewacket

Go for it!
I think the important thing is to be comfortable in what you wear. Don't worry about what others may think. In fact, 99% of the people won't notice because they are so involved in their own attire.
Just to share: On our last cruise there were 3 Formal nights and I took ONE long gown for all 3. I had so many compliments on that gown, I could hardly believe it. And here's the kicker. I bought it for $5.00 at a garage sale with the tags still on, brand new!
My next cruise has 7 formal nights and I'm taking that gown and another one = 2 total. Also taking 2 for Informal plus one extra that can be for either. We may eat in the alternate restaurant one or more of the nights, so I think I'm covered, so to speak.
I pack light and am not dressing to please anyone except myself. I guess you develop a certain confidence after you do this once to then be able to do it again.
I think it is a challenge to pack as light as I can and minimizing the formal wear enables me to take one rollaboard on the flight and check a small backpack for check-in with books, scissors & miscellaneous stuff for my upcoming 35 day cruise.
Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what you wear. I'm sure you will look fantastic.
J
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM
First Mate

thanks piewacket

it sounds like you are '' the bargain queen '' . your gown sounds fantastic and everyone else must have thought so too. i went ahead and put a gorgeous lightweight formal dress in the bag along with the leapord print dress. i had a great time and i did notice that alot of the women accecerized with the same '' little black dress'' and they looked great. i am learning to go lighter and lighter for each cruise. i did very well this time with my outfits, but the next cruise i will be even more pared down. i would love to be able to go with carry-on only. i just cant force myself to go without certain things yet ( grinning ). it sounds like you are very organized and have a great time on your cruises. i am planning a canada/new england cruise for next year so i will be taking basically the same wardrobe i had for my may alaska cruise. i cant wait. thanks for your input.