Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Passenger

Default Luggage when disembarking

First time cruiser. When disembarking the ship, how do we find our luggage?

I read that they will be sorted by colored tags? Is that true?

What prevents someone from picking up my luggage?

Do we all disembark at the same time?

Nina
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:27 AM
ehogan

Default Re: Luggage when disembarking

You will tag your baggage the night before disembarking with the colour coded tags the cruise ship gives you. Colours are assigned according to your flight/transportation details - this is why you have to fill out the information for them when you embark the ship.On disembarkation day, they will announce when you can leave by colour.

You will find the bags in a holding area, at which point you will have to search for your bag - this is why it is VERY good to have some distinctive item attached to your bag (especially if your luggage is black) Some people use coloured duct tape or a large pom-pom. I suppose it is possible for someone to pick up your bag -we have never had that problem though.

The process actually works quite well - once they start calling colours it moves quickly - it is the waiting before they start that is awful and the length of this is usually determined by the customs officials, not the ship.

Your first cruise - are you in for a wonderful experience! Have fun.
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM
cali-croozer

Nina, the above poster spelled it out perfectly. Just remember not to put anything of value in your checked luggage, just in case. (we've never had any trouble; our luggage tags are very colorful, plus we add a colorful bandana or yarn to make it easy to find).
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Passenger

Good question...I had no idea either. Thanks for the explanation!
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Becky5830

Nina, Having just getting back from our first cruise the first responder spelled it out perfectly. But it is a sea of black luggage, so make sure you put something on your luggage that will help you easily identify your bags. Four of us travelled together and we all had matching bright orange bandanas on our both handles of our suitcases, which made it very easy to find in the terminal as well as at the airport for baggage claim. At the cruise terminal we also found a porter that took all eight pieces of luggage through customs - they waved us through - and out to our bus. He was a life saver and was paid quite handsomely for helping four tired women.... Have a great time on your cruise. I can't wait to take another one. I really miss eatting meals out everyday and being waited on....
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Laurie Qualls

That post reminded me of when we picked up our bags after the last cruise......Lots of teenagers and young people....we went to Ensenada on that one...anyway the drug puppies were really checking out a few bags......I had the feeling that more than the usual souveniers were brought back......some of those kids looked pretty nervous....lol
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:57 PM
MSR

of some interest--after handsomely tipping our porter at the HAL terminal in FLL to bring our bags out to the bus, we saw the sign that said the baggage handlers were salaried......or otherwise compensated...........i guess we have habitually tipped, so our bags don't get dumped in the drink or worse, but does anyone take that sign seriously?

The bags make it into the terminal as long as you get them out in the hallway on time the night before!!
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evelyn Richardson

My bags have bright Yellow name tags purchased from a travel store, plus I sewed a bright yellow nylon "sleeve " on all handles, and placed a bright yellow strap with my name written all along its length on each case.

In that sea of black bags, my yellow markers really make them easy to see .

You could chose whatever colours combos you want, how you want, the more unusual the better
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Have you seen all the new colors in luggage?? We have 5-6 bright new colors in my store...bright orange,pink,green..etc...The colors are wild,but they will surely stand out in that sea of black! I just bought some neon green tags.