Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Default Downy Wrinkle Control

Hello ... I've read in the past that Downy Wrinkle Control is a good alternative to ironing while on your cruise. But I thought I read that this came in a spray bottle, and you just had to spray your clothes and hang in the bathroom while showering.

I went to buy this product but didnt find it in a spray bottle nor did the instructions read to spray directly onto clothes. I found a jug of this stuff and the directions are to wash your clothes with a cup full.

Does anyone know if I found the right product, or if there is something else out there that I am missing on the shelf?

Thanks
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:30 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Downy Wrinkle Control

it sounds like you bought a regular fabric softner that you add to the rinse cycle of washing machine. i buy my generic brand at the dollar stor. it is called wrinkle releaser and it sprays from the bottle. look again or ask someone where it is. it can be easily found at all supermarkets and target and such. i bought a smaller spray bottle to put some in so i would not have to take the larger container in my bag.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:22 AM
First Mate

I have a hard time finding wrinkle release in my area. Target or my grocery stores do not carry it. I can always find it at Walmart though.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
Becky5830

I also bought my bottles of Downy Wrinkle Release in a spray bottle at Wal-Mart. It works really well on rayon and I don't think you have to hang the garment in the bathroom, but it wouldn't hurt. And don't treat your garment right before you're going to wear it, because it might be damp.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Admiral

it comes in a light blue spray bottle if that helps.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
gerif

I use a product called FAULTLESS made by Bon Ami - it is in an aerosol can (as opposed to the pump spray for Downy) and can be purchased in travel sized cans. I think it's been about a year since I discovered this product and haven't touched my iron since! If you do a Google search, there are a couple of places on the internet you can order from. I was such a skeptic, but wow!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Downy Wrinkle Control

Thanks for all the comments ... I think I must have bought the industrial size ... haha! The bottle does read "Downy Wrinkle Control" but it is a washer mix ... guess I gotta find "Downy Wrinkle Release." BTW, I was at WalMarty, but I will search again!

Thanks ... off to WalMart!
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

you bought "Downy fabric softener WITH wrinkle control" thats basically fabric softener w/ something that prevents wrinkles when it sits in the dryer. You need to buy downy WRINKLE RELEASE. With that you spray it on, and smooth the wrinkles out. The bottle i have is like pearl color.
-Rob

Carnival Ecstasy-June 2000
Carnival Jubilee-July 2001
Carnival Pride-June 2003
RCCL Sovereign-Janurary 2004
Carnival Imagination-June 26, 2004
Glory
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Passenger

Thanks Yall! I found it ... at Walmart!!

I went to www.downy.com to see what the bottle looked like before I went shopping (pearl like you said) and they were selling it for $19 on downy.com ... I couldnt believe that ... $3.86 at Walmart!!

Thanks everyone for the clarification, now I will be wrinkle-free on my cruise!
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I have been reading all the comments about Downey wrinkle release.
I tried it on my linen slacks aver I had worn them. Tried one leg only. IT WORKS!!
Now I will put it into a smaller spray bottle for the cruise.
Wow this web site is great for all kinds of advice
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I saw a commercial for this on tv and they mentioned the website having 2-32oz bottles,plus a free small travel size for $19.99.I wouldnt mind buying some if I could afford enough cruises to use it all on!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:09 AM
First Mate

daltx

do you have a dollar store or walmart near you. all of our drug stores ( walgreens and osco have it also )_that is way too expensive for this product. i buy mine at my local dollar store for around $1.50 a bottle. are you sure you are thinking of the same thing we are talking about? and i use it on all of my clothes for any occasion here at home.
Old April 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Yeoman

We pretty muched ditched the irons at home and use the stuff daily. It works and we love it. I toss the bottle in a plastic bag and put it in my suitcase all the time. A few sprays and some tugs and smoothing-bye bye wrinkles!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Antron,Thank you,I have some,but someone a few post up were saying they say it on the website and that it was so expensive,and I was saying that I saw on tv that the website was offering 2 huge bottles for that price and a small travel size for free.They thought it was $19.99 for ONE bottle,but it was 2 very big bottles! But thank you anyway!I personnally dont like the smell,so my bottle is unused....makes me sneeze!
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:15 PM
First Mate

daltx

you are welcome. it is too bad you cant use yours. i think it is great stuff but i am lucky and it doesnt bother me and when it dries i dont smell it.
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Zoom & Sparky

I got spray bottle at Target. I went to RiteAid and found a tiny empty spray bottle in the woment's make-up aisle. I'm going to pour the DWC into the small bottle, but it in a zip-lock. Now it will only take up the space of two cigarette lighters. Since we're flying from Los Angeles to Barcelona, I need to keep things light.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info on this product. I just returned from Wal-mart (couldn't find it at any of the local Dollar type stores) and tried it. I sprayed it on a wrinkled washable linen jacket and it now looks wonderful.

Great product for travel, no doubt!!
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:04 AM
MSR

Great stuff and it works--my decorator first suggested this for draperies!
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Will it work on a tux or a suit? I presume it will work fine on shirts and dockers type slacks, but please let me know if you have experience in using it. Thanks.
JOE
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruizer2004

I bought Downy Wrinkle Release, but I took it a step further. I bought a smaller empty spray bottle and put the downy in that. I fit much better in my toiletry bag. They should make travel sized products like that.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Charnelle

There is a travel size bottle I recently brought one at Wal-Mart for only $1.00. It was the last one in the detergeant isle. So far it works great!!
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Kathy & Dave

There's a place online, called the Container Store, which sells many different size/shape travel bottles, including leakproof ones. They really are leakproof too! I use them all the time. I'm sure they'd have a spray bottle.

Personally, I've never used the wrinkle release. Not that I don't want to, but have severe reactions to anything with a fragrance in it, which is most things. Has anyone ever seen a "fragrance free" wrinkle releaser? If so, please let me know. I'd love to try it!

Old May 26th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all of these reviews - I'm going to go to WalMart to see if I can find a 4-ounce travel size bottle of this Downy Wrinkle Release tomorrow. I'm so glad to hear that it truly works!!