Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
First Mate

Default ive decided to go '' semi/casual for formal night''.

let me start by saying i love to see all the gorgeous gowns and outfits that are worn on formal night. it is such a wonderful night for those that dress up and look so classy and beautiful. the thing is--im not the formal, glitzy or sequened type and i would only wear the outfit once. so this is my attire.

first formal night---silk leopard print long dress that is fitted but flowing and kind of different lengths on the bottom with a little trim of black on the edges. i have wonderful jewlery to go with it that looks very nice and compliments the theme of the dress.

the 2nd formal night---a gorgeous rich looking black two peice sweater with a long silk skirt that is black with a small white print pattern. i will wear immitation ( i wish it could be the real thing ) diamond silver jewlery to go with the outfit. my shoes will be black sling back heels for both outfits. i will be so comfortable and totally enjoy myself. i wont be in something that i know i will not wear again and wont be thinking in the back of my mind that ''' i cant wait to get out of this outfit'''''.

if i will be making a fashion foo-pha, well, so be it. i am going to look nice, be comfortable and totally enjoy myself. by the way all of my outfits were on the sale racks and i picked them up for a steal. another reason i love them.

all of you ladies look so lovely in your formal wear and i love to read what you will be wearing. i cant wait to see what all of you on my cruise but i will be in my type of formal wear and having the time of my life.

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Andre

Default Re: ive decided to go '' semi/casual for formal night''.

Why do you feel the need to announce this?

It's a break with tradition. You're supposed to PRETEND to ask a real question about formal attire before you announce that you refuse to wear it anyway. Get with the program, there are traditions here and YOU are smashing them all to hell for your own agrandizement!

Andre
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Your imformal out fit sounds very nice. Go fo it.. to ____ with what people think.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM
First Mate

Your outfits sounds very nice. Go and have a good time, be comfortable and do not worry about what others think. Frankly I do not worry about what others are wearing, I just go and enjoy myself wearing what I want to. Sometimes I dress formally and sometimes I do not just depends on how I feel. People who worry about what others are wearing need to get a life. They must not be enjoying themselves if all they have to do is worry about what others are wearing.

Old April 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM
First Mate

sea trekker-----thank you for the kind words.

and andre EXCUSE ME ALL TO HELL. all i wanted to do was say that i was going to be comfortable and enjoy myself. as far as SMASHING the traditions all to hell--that is your opinion. perhaps others will appriciate that i am announcing that i am not going to be so formal and it will ease their worries of what they will be wearing.

gb--i am getting a life --one i want to be comfortable in

isnt this the dress/packing thread. others are worried and asking questions just like me on how to dress or this thread would not be so large.

i think you are both very rude and it isnt going to change what i plan to wear.

so, between the popups, flashing ads and rude members like you i am done with this board.

Old April 4th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Andre

Well, I'm glad to see your sense of humor is intact.

Sheeesh.
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Andre

Maybe you can't take anyone joking around at your expense, but what did gb say that ticked you off? I've re-read it six times and I can't see anything to offend anyone.

I'm starting to wonder (seriously) if you weren't just trolling for trouble from the start. Hmmmmm.
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:30 AM
First Mate

Antron I said go for it that it sounds wonderful and others should get a life if they care. How this offends you I do not understand. I was on your side and I said I do the same thing. Who knows maybe like Andre said you were just trolling for trouble.

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Two things:

To the original poster, antron, your outfits may not be sequined but they sound lovely & appropriate. Fom the title of your post I was expecting you to say you were going to be wearing sequined jeans & b/c they cost you $x,000 you were going to wear them anyway. What you are suggesting is not that out of line w/ formal night.

Andre -- re-read it a 7th time. My first read (& I don't know either of you) was "wow, that's a little harsh." While I'm sure you meant it politely or perhaps tounge in cheek, in the cold light of on-line it comes across more forcefully. Yes, we can all get annoyed when people unconditionally flaunt the suggested dress codes but antron's "violation" isn't as much of a deviation as her title suggests. When I read the original post a 2nd time I got some sense of her seeking approval or perhaps suggestions to dress it up just a bit w/o needing a whole new outfit.

So now, everyone breathe -- inhale -- exhale -- we're all friends again, right?
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Andre

TD, I was referring to the posting by gb52877, which antron included with mine as being rude. "i think you are both very rude and it isnt going to change what i plan to wear."

I don't really care if she gets me or not, but I don't see any reason for her to bite off the head of someone who was basically nice and in agreement with her (gb52877).

Personally, I think the whole thing is a troll.

Andre
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: ive decided to go '' semi/casual for formal night''.

Andre... how does this sound for formal night (I want to be comfortable, and I figure if I tell others ahead of time, they can be comfortable, too).

One of those t-shirts with a tuxedo motif silk screened on it, with a pair of very nice black Bermuda shorts, black socks and my Sperry Topsiders.

What do you think????

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Antron--I think what you have described sounds lovely. If you are comfortable, to me that is what matters most. If you feel beautiful, you look beautiful since beauty comes from within. (before anyone starts, no I'm not calling anyone ugly or looking to start trouble. just using a phrase.) I also think silver jewlery against black is very chic looking. Have a great time.

Old April 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

I dont that that would be a faux pas at all. It sounds classy.
-Rob

Carnival Ecstasy-June 2000
Carnival Jubilee-July 2001
Carnival Pride-June 2003
RCCL Sovereign-Janurary 2004
Carnival Imagination-June 26, 2004
Glory
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Is it a faux pas to misspell "faux pas"?
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Andre

Diverbl,

You were doing great until you mentioned the black socks with the topsiders. Only a dork wears black socks with topsiders. :-)

Better would be a pair of those rainbow socks with the individual toes. Now THAT'S classy!

Andre
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Andre,
I think its possible that Antron is not "trolling". Perhaps she just doesn't know you! I've read enough of your posts to understand your sense of humor, but maybe she's missed them.

Antron, if this is so, search for Andre's posts and read some of them! While he's serious sometimes, he's also very funny sometimes.
I also think you misread gb's post.
I think what you described sounds just fine for formal nights. I usually wear satin dress slacks and a "fancy" top and find I'm about in the middle as far as formal dress.
Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Diverbl Yep - you had me too, up until the black sox! I'm thinking textured panty hose and red spike heels to complete your ensemble! Then people will be trying to guess who or what you really are :o) . To each his own - but the op really does need to go back and look for her sense of humor. TTFN Jennifer
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Passenger

I am really glad that I don't have to have a formal night on the NCL Dream. Lol! As much as I would love to dress up, I just don't have the money to buy something that I would only wear once, so I would avoid formal night.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:13 AM
First Mate

all of you that think my outfits sound very nice and will be acceptible i thank you very mucy. and i DO need to apoligize to gb's reply. i was so taken back by the remarks made by andre that i only saw the comment from gb about me '' needing to get a life since i was worried about what others would think. so i do apolize to you gb..

and NO, i am not a troll. i do not accept andre's rude and blunt remarks. im sorry, but a ' sense of humor' does not give someone the right to be nasty to a poster who only wanted to say what they would be wearing-- ON THE PACKING AND DRESS THREAD i might add. it is hard i guess for some people to realize that even over the ''' net-waves'' they can hurt other peoples feelings.

the majority of you who think my outfits will be very nice and look classy I THANK YOU VERY MUCH. but i have to admit that i am not one to be comfortable by being made the brunt of rude humor and i wont apoligize for that.

it seems i have outlived my comfortable feelings of being able to post on this board. so i think it best for awhile it i decline from making any posts or giving any imput i might have. so i will be a lurker for a time.

once again, for all of you that think i will be just fine in what i plan to wear i thank you
again. i am just one who needs to be reassured about certain things---- like hundreds of others here on these boards that ask questions or ask opinions on their choices.
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM
JPHC

andre,
cant we all just get along?(hehehehehehe)
glad you are back.
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Andre

antron,

Sorry if you were offended, while I did dig at you a bit (humorously, I might add), you also were treading VERY close to the troll/not-a-troll line.

If you are going to make a statement about such a (oddly) contraversial subject, you have to realize that some are going to presume you are just being argumentative and call you on it. Whether you INTEND to troll or not, you are living under a bridge and threatening the billy goats gruff, so you may as well be a troll. You see the point?

Take for example posts from people who say things like "I never tip and I won't tip on board the ship - people should just do the job they're paid for!" (If you look around on these boards a bit, you'll find these posts.) These people are doing the same thing you did. They made a contraversial post that MAY be claimed to be educational, but ultimately just sets out a challange: "I don't believe in your silly tipping system and I won't participate - what do you say about THAT!" There is no real reason for the post, so it either gets repeated by others or attacked. That's just life on the internet. If you attack the norm purposely, you might get hit right back. You just have to either take it (within reason) or don't make posts that challange people's systems.

Anyway, keep in mind when you post, that others may actually read your post and have a different response than you intend. If you don't want differing responses, then maybe you should not make that post. In any case - lighten up a bit. We're all adults here. The world's too small to get upset when people give you a little guff about nothing. :-)

Andre
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny

"first formal night---silk leopard print long dress .."

LEOPARD print ? honey the 1980's are calling and they want their Leopard print dress back!
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM
First Mate

here we go again. i have seen many different leapord print styles of silk dresses this year. so i guess the 80's are back.

lets just say this was a bad post for me too make and i hope no one else replies. let us let this subject stop. i certainly am as of right now.
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Admiral

rochestemy--I noticed on another post that your name is Kevin so I'll assume you are a guy, unless you share your name with a girl. Anyway, if you are a guy, what I'm now wondering is how did you learn so much about woman's fashion and about what's in/what's out? I have seen many trends come and go over the years with certain styles always being in. Bell bottoms are now called flares, hiphugger jeans are now called low rise jeans, Dr Scholl's sandals are around again. Get the idea. Unless you are a fashion expert (and experts aren't always right since they give opinions, I may add), how can you criticize someone for wearing a style or pattern of clothing. The people who need help with their fashion are the ones who wear clothes that are two sizes too small or that are showing more than their share of skin. But I guess in your opinion as long as it's in style, it's okay.

Post Edited (04-06-05 08:54)
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Hey I'm in no way a fashion expert but it doesn't take much sense to be aware of what is in and out of style. For the same reason I know a powder blue polyester leisure suit is out of style, I know a Leopard print dress is out of style.

Not related to this post but ... Something I've noticed is that some people seem to be stuck in time in regard to their own personal style. These middle age people have the same haircut, and wear the same clothes as when they were 18. I agree with you Cheryl that there are people out there that need to realize that you shouldn't wear a belly shirt when their belly hangs out over the edge of their pants. The same folks probably think that strech pants look slimming, right? [cough!]

I find it funny that folks say they refuse to buy clothes for a cruise because they'll never wear them again. I guess they never plan on ever getting invited to a wedding? Or they don't ever want to go out to dinner to a place thats not a buffet? Or for the guys that down own a single sports coat, what do they think they'll wear to a funeral? Their "good" pair of jeans?
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I agree that a blue polyester suit is out of style but I shop online and find animal print items often on sites like Nieman Marcus. Not only do they come in accessories but in dresses, nighties , tops. Anyway, I think as long as it's neat and the wearer is comfortable, go for it. I did go out and purchase a few new things for my cruise figuring I'll wear them on my next cruise. (different people will see them) So I guess I agree with you again.

I also agree that some people do get STUCK in what they think is in. Especially stretch pants. I have seen some stretched to the point of seeing skin! YUCK! However, if the stretch pants are not TOTALLY stretched and are paired with a nice long silk blouse, it may be okay for a casual picnic or luncheon.

I guess then we agree on many aspects of these posts.

Have a great and safe day.

Old April 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Admiral

ok folks, time to call off the fashion police.
Just to set the record straight. Andre has a very dry witt. Gets him into trouble sometimes, but most of the "regulars" around here get a good chuckle out of him.
Animal prints are very hot now, have been for a couple of years.
Your outfits as you have described them sound gorgeous and would be perfect for formal nights. Formal nights for women on cruises isn't all about ballgowns anymore, most ladies are opting for smoother, sleeker lines with a slit, a halter and a touch of glitter.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Andre

I vote we hang him! Who's with me on this?!...
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

count me in!!!!! I'll even supply the rope

Old April 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Hey to be honest I was making a small attempt at humor with the comment "the 80's are calling and they want their leopard print back!"

haha ha ? hmm guess not

Maybe Andre and I should stay in the Gripe message boards. People are a little more lighthearted over there.
I was just going to complain about people who don't think its possible to dress "dressy" and comfortable at the same time. But maybe I should take up that cause over in my most favorite message board of them all

"Gripes"