Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV
Default Re: Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

Lisa,

For someone so vocal about no jeans in the dining room, I find it odd that you think that a denim skirt is OK for women. After all, there is no difference in the construction of "Dockers" to "Jeans" except for the material they are made of, but since you are not a man, I guess you really don't know the difference.

If the purpose is to bar the look "horrors" of denim on men, then it should cause the same "horrors" look on women, and if you think that it doesn't, then what is the difference.

I stand by my comments:

1 - I don't care what someone is wearing
2 - You really need to get a life if what someone else wears bothers you in any way
3 - I think that denim looks as good as anything else someone wears
4 - The cruise lines don't care what you wear as long as it is appropriate
5 - What kind of word is "Dressy" anyway, seems like an opinion to me.

Cheers,
Peter

Old July 29th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Admiral

beanboy - go to RCCL's web site and see what their written dress code is, and then go from there.
The first formal night is the Captain's welcome aboard dinner. If you are asking if you will have dinner with the Captain then the answer is no. Dinner with the Captain is by invitation only.
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:16 AM
Gertrude

I generally wear long jeans in the dining room at night (other than formal nights which nights I wear a gown) and I have never been stopped. Once you're seated in the dining room no one can see what your wearing below the waist and no one important cares.

I generally wear a bathing suit all day. I generally eat lunch on the pool deck both when the ship is at sea and when at port.. For dinner the food in the dining room tends to be better than the food on the pool deck. At lunch the food on the pool deck is just as good and sometimes better and its much faster. I dont want to spend the entire cruise eating. Eating in the dining room can take 2 hours thats just too much time at lunch. Also if the weather is nice I prefer eating outdoors at lunch.

What I do wonder about is when they say no shorts in the dining room, Women can wear a man's tee shirt and call it a dress, what are they going to do have you lift your shirt to see if you have pants on?
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:31 PM
BOBroich

Have worn them, not by choice. Lost luggage. Nobody cared. No funny glares either.
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
H and A

Many people wont notice, most people wont care, and very few would stare. Most of us are so caught up in the excitement and the enjoyment or in conversations and the food that we seldom notice what anyone else is wearing.

There are a few self appointed clothing police on every cruise though. Even those of us that like to dress up every night hate to sit around these folks. Nothing worse than somebody complaining all during the meal. We all know that there are a few on every cruise
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Yeoman

Recently back from Miracle Cruise. Wore nice jeans once in main dining room on non-formal night, ok. Was not turned away. I looked rather nicve in jeans, fancy blouse and heels. I did see some men even wearing shorts, even though it was policy for no shorts during dinner. No one seemed put off, cared or displaced by what a fellow passenger was wearing at any time. We ate in main dining hall all 7 nights. had a blast. good food, decent people, no one cared.......just dress decent and all will be fine.
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

Well said! I have some rather classy Harley Davidson blouses that I plan to wear/show-off on our next cruise. (Simmer down everyone I'm not talking about formal night!, get a grip!) I too own the proverbial little black dress and a nice cocktail dress or two (and I know when to wear them), but some of these people need to get over themselves. If someone is ever rude enough to comment to you about your attire, they are not worth your consideration. Where do they hand out the fasion police badges? Because some of those formals & too tight tuxes need policing! We're cruising to Hawaii on Celebrity in November and I there are actually people who don't want you to wear jeans onboard during the day! There are some cold sea days on the way over and I go nowhere without my denim! Have a great cruise!
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Male

im pregnant so im bringing (2 shorts, a skirt, a pair of slacks and 2 pairs of Capris (1 jean) ,7 blouses 1pair of dress shoes for 5 nt plus swim wear and I will wear my BeBe flip flops on the ship).

I will do what I can...If I get turned away...I will CRY and pretend to be in labor in order to get my seat in the dinning room....lmfao I'm just kidding about that....lol but yes im bringing the above items and I will make it threw the 5 nts I just made sure each item looks semi-formal but fits casual! I have no problem drinking milk and eating BLT's its hubby that might want steak every night. Just a little humor...

Maleficent
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-croozer
I think people do wear them, but I really didn't notice (too busy studying the menu!!). My teen boys wear docker type pants and button down shirts (print or "hawaiian" type) on casual nights. Many teen boys wear this "uniform" until after dinner, when they dash to their cabin to change back into their shorts. I don't think it's "against" the rules. to wear jeans........the rules never say "no jeans", but I pay for the cruise, so it's against the rules in my family. By the way, my kids don't mind and it's nice seeing them in something other than baggy jeans for a change.
On the last 2 Carnival cruises I took Carnival Inspiration in Dec. of 03 and Carnival Miracle in April of 04-it did say in the "suggested wear" for each night in the Carnival Capers "no blue jeans please" this was even on casual nights. Now many chose to ignore that and I doubt many even read that but it was there. I do not understand why people keep saying jeans are "okay" on casual night on Carnival. Many wear them but it is requested that you NOT wear blue jeans.
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM
Admiral

There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. They are usually the 2nd and 6h night except on our Alaskan cruise it was the 2nd and 5th night. The first night, casual, most people wore jeans. Everyone at our table dressed up for formal night and looked sharp but we did see 1 guy in a t-shirt and jeans! Even though I brought appropriate clothes for the other nights except this is how each night's theme was:

1st - casual
2nd - FORMAL
3rd - Klondike Country - many wore jeans - we ate in the Winjammer
4th - 50's- 60's - many wore jeans
5th FORMAL
6th casual - jeans again - we ate in the Windjammer
7th casual - jeans again - one tablemate had sweatpants on because they packed everything.

So, again, I overpacked!! You just never know.

We never heard comments on what others were wearing but we did see many dressed every night, especially for pictures.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Guess I've just lucked out, but on the 3 Carnival cruises I've been on there were virtually no jeans in sight in the dining room at night.
Certainly not the "lots" that I keep reading about.

Our 3 Carnival sailings have been Fantasy, Glory and Miracle. We did see a few baseball caps on the Miracle this time. Amazes me.....do you think those folks wear baseball caps to dinner at Grandmas house?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 25th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

In answer to your question Dorothy, yes they do ... my BIL has a habit of wearing his baseball cap all the time, no matter where or what is going on you will find it on his head, unless some one tells him to take it off ...

Ok to be fair, I am sure that not all are like this, but it does make one wonder ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Default jeans

I am soon to take my 4th cruise and I saw jeans in the dining room each night except formal. I don't have a problem with them. I never saw anyone in them dressed distasfully. On the other hand, I saw a few in "dressy" clothing that looked quite trashy. I pay for my cruises just as everyone else does. It's vacation. I know we all have to pick our battles and this is not one I care to bother with. Just have a good time in your jeans or denim skirt and enjoy your cruise!
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

MomofMeg...........interesting about the capers. I just checked the capers from my last cruise (Carnival Conquest in June). No mention of jeans. On formal nights in stated: "formal attire requested" and on casual nights it stated: "no shorts or t-shirts please". Until Carnival gets specific about this, it's going to be left up to interpretation. The rules for my family still stand though----no jeans for us. That's our personal choice.
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you want to be in compliance with the dress code than it depends on what cruiseline you are sailing as to whether you can wear jeans on non-formal night. Some cruiselines (such as Celebrity) have stated guidelines prohibiting jeans, whereas others (such as Carnival) do not. Then you have Princess who decided to be ambiguous by stating "no jeans" in some literature and "no torn jeans" in others.

Of course, no matter what the stated rules are you will always see jeans in the dining room anyway, so if you don't mind breaking the rules than you can plan on wearing jeans regardless. As for me, I love jeans and I always wear them on the ships that allow them (Carnival). On the ships that prohibit them, I always pack with the intention of wearing some other type of pants to the dining room, but then always end up wearing jeans after noticing how many others are wearing them.
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Admiral

I did not recall seeing anyone in jeans on Carnival in the main dining room. I wore capri pants one night, and tan pants kind of a cross betwen dockers and cargo pants, still comfy but not super dressey. Usually they say resort casual, think dockers, or dress pants.Polo shirts are fine. There are all sorts of inexpensive comfy pants one can buy before a cruise to wear in place of jeans. I dress like I would for an office job in downtown Chicago, classy but still comfortable. A nice blouse, dress slacks, and a blazer or cardigan cause I get cold easily in the ship AC. There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise, the first one usually on the first full sea day is the dressier of the two.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochesterny
I didn't see any jeans at all in the dining room on my Royal Caribbean cruise. Not even on casual night. Khaki "dockers" type pants and a polo shirt were about as casual as I saw. At my table the parents didn't even bother bringing the kids to the formal night. The ship offerred big buffet in the kids/teens lounge that night and the kids went there instead.
On Mariner of the Seas this past Oct. 2-9 we had people at a table by us who wore jeans and tee shirts every night including the 2 formal nights. Now they were the only ones I saw personally but it did irritate me.

Royal Carrbbean offers the same menu that is served at dinner for room service including lobster tails on the second formal night. there was no reason at all these people should have come dressed that way.
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Passenger

I saw many jeans in the dining room on my cruise of 18 Oct 05 on Carnival. I have seen nothing from Carnival saying not to wear them. I also saw jean skirts there too. I saw no men wearing them in the dining room. I saw a man in a baseball cap there...my aunt would have smacked him...me... I just enjoyed the meal and could care less how others dress...unless...she was naked...that I always notice.
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-croozer
MomofMeg...........interesting about the capers. I just checked the capers from my last cruise (Carnival Conquest in June). No mention of jeans. On formal nights in stated: "formal attire requested" and on casual nights it stated: "no shorts or t-shirts please". Until Carnival gets specific about this, it's going to be left up to interpretation. The rules for my family still stand though----no jeans for us. That's our personal choice.
Well then the policy has been changed since Dec. 03 and April 04. I read it in the capers there both times. But it does not matter. Now that our daughter is grown I doubt we will do any Carnival cruises. I am wanting to go a little more upscale like Celebrity or Princess.

We recently tried RCCL again, I had read so many raves about voyager class ships I wanted to try one but I have decided RCCL is not what I want either. I have only taken one Princess cruise but I loved it. I have not cruised Celebrity yet and I want to try them.

But maybe it is just time for me to do a land vacation again. Then I can complain about getting lost in traffic etc. Huh?
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
Why would you wear any type of jeans (blue, black, red, tan, etc.) if they ask you not to? That's the problem with people now....they do what ever they want with no regard to rules.
Thanks Gator...finally a person with some common sense and values!

Dave
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Passenger

I just got off the Dawn Princess a few weeks ago. I had not planned on wearing jeans to the dining room because I had read on these boards that Princess does not allow it. However, once onboard ship there was no mention anywhere of jeans not being allowed for dinner and after seeing many others wearing them, I decided to wear mine too. Really not a big deal. Nobody seemed to mind and I never received so much as even a second glance from fellow passengers. I think I looked just as nice as some of the non-jean outfits that I saw.
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Captain

i have never seen jeans in the dining room we always go to late dinner
maybe thats why
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee77
Here Here! H and A and Peter , you both have voiced the jeans issue very well. Carnival is very laxed about jeans. Who made any of you the "clothing police" for the cruise lines. Geeeesh! Get over it and worry about something in your own back yard.
Dee Dee,
what would you do if you showed up at the dining room for dinner, in your jeans and the real cruise dress police, the ships personnel themselves turned you away, you were not admitted and told you were welcome to eat elsewhere that night?
Bet you would throw a tizy fit.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't have a problem with what others wear, but I do have a problem with those who say: "I will wear what I want to wear, regardless of the rules, because it's what I want to do".
Just because, when you were onboard you did not see it posted anywhere, it does not mean the rules were changed, or that rule is no longer in effect. It is in the cruise literature that you can read online and in the cruise literature you receive from the cruiseline. At least they let you know before you get onboard in hopes that you won't bring the wrong type of dining room attire.
How about this idea: The cruiseline can set whatever rules and guidelines they want because they are in charge. It's their ship.
Now if we could get passengers to understand that.
Since, between the cruiseline literature and what you read on the threads of cruise websites, you know in advance what the guidelines/rules are re: dining room attire, why does it have to be so difficult for some to understand? Maybe you should look for a cruiseline where your preferred attire is acceptable. Barring that, as there may not be any such cruiseline, maybe you should put on your jeans and just go to your local honkytonk, where you and your jeans will fit right in.
Sorry about the flaming, but I am so tired of this issue appearing over and over on cruise websites. It is one where there will NEVER be an agreement, as some people refuse to accept the rules.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I agree flamono

I wonder how those who are adimate about wearing jeans to the dinner table against the ships policy will feel when I light up a cigarette at dinner and blow smoke on them.

Hey , Its my cruise also and shouldn't I be allowed to break the rules also.

If by chance this did happen I would not only insist that I leave because I was breaking the rules, but have the bums wearing jeans removed also for their violation.

As for jeans with heels....The first vision that comes to to my mind is a hooker...sorry ladies but thats the appeal to most men is, its not that it is dressy, but that it looks EASY.

just my 2 cents

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Admiral

I didn't go back thru the pages to see if this was addressed but this is what I found on NCL'S Website regarding jeans at dinner, etc for cruises leaving out of Texas. They are stating what is "allowed" and not suggesting as some posters have said other cruise lines do.
Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.
Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.
Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.
Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.
Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee77
Here Here! H and A and Peter , you both have voiced the jeans issue very well. Carnival is very laxed about jeans. Who made any of you the "clothing police" for the cruise lines. Geeeesh! Get over it and worry about something in your own back yard.
Dee Dee,
what would you do if you showed up at the dining room for dinner, in your jeans and the real cruise dress police, the ships personnel themselves turned you away, you were not admitted and told you were welcome to eat elsewhere that night?
Bet you would throw a tizy fit.
If DeeDee is on a Carnival ship, as implied in her post quoted above, than that will never happen because Carnival DOES NOT have a stated rule against jeans. I love when people try to make rules where there are none!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.
So as per NCL's rules, my black jeans would be okay.
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default LUV2CRUISE99

So I guess its okay that the diningrooms have a NO SMOKING policy.
Based on this they don't have a NO SMOKE policy, so If I were sitting at your table I could light one up ...just as long as I didn't take a puff..

I am correct using your logic aren't I?

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

ok folks, its time to end this never-ending thread. This is a topic that will not be resolved unless the cruise lines do something about it and enforce their own written dress code policy.
It boils down to this: GO WITH WHAT THE CRUISE LINE STATES IN THEIR WRITTEN DRESS CODE POLICY. Do not interpert it to mean what you want it to mean. Take it one step further if you look and look up in an etiquette book what the specific appropriate dress is in regards to Resort Casual, Semi-Formal, Formal etc.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bububr
So I guess its okay that the diningrooms have a NO SMOKING policy.
Based on this they don't have a NO SMOKE policy, so If I were sitting at your table I could light one up ...just as long as I didn't take a puff..

I am correct using your logic aren't I?

Dave
Not a very good analogy. It is generally understood by all that "no smoking" means no lit cigarettes, period. To argue that you can light a cigarette if you don't puff is just playing word games.

Not quite the same thing as arguing that if the cruiseline goes through the trouble of specifically stating "blue jeans" that they really do mean that only "blue" jeans are prohibited. Otherwise, they could have saved themselves some ink and just printed "jeans are prohibited". Certainly the writers off these guidelines realize that jeans come in many colors and if they meant ALL jeans they wouldn't have specified "blue jeans" in 4 separate places.

And it makes perfect sense when you consider that colored jeans (especially black) are generally thought of as dressier than blue jeans and also more difficult to discern as jeans unless you are looking very closely.

A better analogy would be driving. DMV regulations state that I must stop at red lights. Do you think they really mean I should stop at green and yellow too?

By the way, you can light up and puff all you want at my table. Wouldn't bother me a bit. I am a nonsmoker, but I have not been caught up in the secondhand smoke hysteria.