Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Patticake

Default Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

what is the situation with wearing jeans in the dining room on non formal nights? i would not wear them but some fot he younger people in our group wear jeans everywhere. i know on formal nights they will dress appropriately with no problems but may think the other nights are more lax. i personally think jeans are hot during july in the western carribean, but people wear them all the time everywhere. we are sailing on carnival, victory in july with thae whole family, three generations. thanks for help on this one.
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:55 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

I think people do wear them, but I really didn't notice (too busy studying the menu!!). My teen boys wear docker type pants and button down shirts (print or "hawaiian" type) on casual nights. Many teen boys wear this "uniform" until after dinner, when they dash to their cabin to change back into their shorts. I don't think it's "against" the rules. to wear jeans........the rules never say "no jeans", but I pay for the cruise, so it's against the rules in my family. By the way, my kids don't mind and it's nice seeing them in something other than baggy jeans for a change.
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Gator

There are no jeans in the dining room in the evening on Princess cruises....it says it in their literature. I'm not sure about the other cruise lines.
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
cali-croozer

Gator........on Carnival I think it says resort casual, but never mentions jeans. Now, most people will say that jeans are not resort casual, but those who want to wear jeans will say that it doesn't say "no jeans" anywhere. It's good that Princess actually states it, that way it's very clear.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Admiral

to be sure, go to Carnival's website and see what it says.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
cali-croozer

This is from Carnival's website, FAQ's:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny

I didn't see any jeans at all in the dining room on my Royal Caribbean cruise. Not even on casual night. Khaki "dockers" type pants and a polo shirt were about as casual as I saw. At my table the parents didn't even bother bringing the kids to the formal night. The ship offerred big buffet in the kids/teens lounge that night and the kids went there instead.
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Most cruise lines will tell you no jeans in the dinning room ,but on all the ships I have been on I have seen jeans on a least 1 or 2 people in the dinning room on nonformal nights. I have even worn them myself. Now these jeans i wear are not your normal everyday ,wear to the store jeans. These were dark jeans {blue or black}that werent distressed in any way and when teamed up w/my dress shoes{ ie:heels}and a nice blouse, looked fine. I call them my dressy jeans. The cruise lines say no jeans for if they didnt you will have some people coming in dressed with jeans that have holes, and/or worn out in places,in other words jeans you might wear to do weekend jobs around the house,paint etc...The "no jeans allow" policy stops that from happening. {usually}.

Enjoy
MI5
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Gator

Default Re: Re: Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

Why would you wear any type of jeans (blue, black, red, tan, etc.) if they ask you not to? That's the problem with people now....they do what ever they want with no regard to rules.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Every cruise line has a dress code: no jeans after 6 pm. I hate it when people disregard this because most people are aboard a cruise to be dressier than they are back home.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old April 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Charnelle

What about Jean Skirts on non-formal night?
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Dixie Lee

You are kidding, right? What is the difference between pants and a skirt if they are both denim?
Dixie Lee
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Charnelle

This is my first cruise. I just wanted to know if demin skirts are allowed on non-formail nights?
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Charnelle,
I think you'd be fine with a denim skirt on non-formal nights. I'm assuming that you don't mean a mini-skirt or skort :>). On our first cruise I took several denim dresses and wore them on non-formal nights. I also learned that it was way too hot to wear them on the next cruise! You probably won't have that problem with a skirt.

Have a great cruise-you'll be "hooked" after just one!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Yeoman

Just got back from RCL Sovereign of the seas april 18th sailing. After much debate on the subject, I brought dress clothes for the main dining hall.
Only to see over 40% of the people in there (every night !) in either jeans or shorts on non formal nights! My advice is don't worry about any night or any outfit except for formal night. The atmosphere is casual, and no one was made to feel any less welcome! heck, everyone was enjoying themselves, no one cares!
formal night, was just that. dress your best and you'll be fine!

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny
Default Re: Re: Re: Jeans in dining room on non-formal night

My only comment is who wants to wear heavy thick denim when you're in the tropics???
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Admiral

If the cruise lines policy states no jeans in the dining rooms on casual nights then that means no jeans in the dining rooms on casual nights, plain and simple, by jeans they mean pants.
A nice denim skirt with a nice jersey and sandals would be fine for casual nights as would a denim dress.
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Charnelle

I just brought a cute demin skirt from the mall. I also went in to my closet and found a cute black top and dress sandles to go along with the skirt. for non formal night. I think I'm straight.
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Arizona home

This is my first cruise and its to Alaska and in May when its still cold, I had people tell me no one complains about clean new jeans, not torn or old. Anyone gone there, I'm sure excited
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Gator

Lisa,
I don't think no jeans means no pants. It means no denim of any kind...blue, black, tan, etc. Pants that are not denim are perfectly fine.
Old June 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
annie lee

We have been on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, and RCI, all with our teens. They are both girls (15 and 12) and we require them to dress formally on formal nights. This is easier for my high schooler because she has formal dresses from prom etc. and she just uses them. The 12 year old just gets a couple of new dresses each time we cruise because she still grows out of them between cruises! The problem for us arises with the 15 year old and the casual nights. We ALWAYS want them with us in the dining room because sometimes it is the only time we really get to talk all day However, my 15 year old especially wears jeans, shorts, or jean skirts almost exclusively at home. She does have one pair of dress black pants that she can wear. However, I agree with the person who posted earlier talking about the difference in types of jeans. My girls both have the "Abercrombie" jeans with holes that we paid for, but those would never be appropriate in the dining room. However, for a teen to wear a pair of very nice Guess type jeans with a fancy blouse and heels will make them look more dressed up than many of the others in the dining room. When we were on Princess last year, that is what I saw from the majority of the girls. I am all for the formality of cruising and dressing up, it is one of the things I like most. However, going out and buying ugly clothes my child will never wear again just to follow the letter of a rule no one is enforcing anyway seems silly. I prefer to go with the intent, which is to dress nicely and act as though you are at a nice restaurant in your hometown.
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:51 PM
JustCruisingBackBy

I don't happen to like jeans, personally, and I think most people avoid wearing them on formal night (I've never seen it.)

But, in a lot of cases, younger women who know how to dress jeans up with fancy blouses, colorful jewelry and great shoes look better and more appropriate in them than than they do in a lot of today's formal gowns. A lot of today's formal wear for younger women is........well, more risque than elegant.

Some of the clothing that fits within the dress guidelines or suggestions really does more to detract from the atmosphere that I think is meant to prevail in the dining rooms than a pair of jeans well-accessorized.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
BLS

I am a redneck girl who lives in the desert, so for me, "formal" means jeans that are still their original color and demin is never too warm to wear. I might ruffle some feathers talking like a heretic here, but I don't want to go on a cruise to impress people with how well I dress up. I want to relax, get away from the strenuous job I have, unwind and enjoy myself.

Now I know there are dress codes on the ships and I'm ok with it and will conform, but I really don't feel "elegant" dressing to the 9's because it isn't me, it isn't what I'm about, and I want to enjoy my cruise more than I want to help other people enjoy theirs.

Oh, by the way..I do own a 'little black dress' and will take it and will even wear it, but I might be screaming and kicking the whole time ;0)
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I may be an old fuddy duddy, however, I cannot figure out why anyone would want to wear/pack suff that is so warm and weighs a ton.

Im used to how young folk dress as my kids are 26/30 and my company/department has few employees over 32. Jeans w/knit shirts are the everyday norm. But most everyone owns washable slacks and/or khakis which, IMHO, are much nicer, show a bit more thought, are lighter to pack and cooler to wear. One pair khakis + several blouses/knit shirts cover dine room dinner all but formal nites on most cruise lines.
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

I have yet to figure out why some people are so hung up over jeans. As long as you look good, you are good to go, and saying that jeans do not look good, well, I don't think they look any different than any other pair of trousers.

As to them being too hot and/or heavy, I believe that decision rests with the person wearing them.

Cheers,
Peter

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Peter -this question is about what the cruise lines allow and don't allow in their main dining rooms during dinner hours, IF the cruise line specifies no jeans in the main dining rooms during dinner hours, then that means no jeans(pants) in the main dining rooms during dinner hours, end of discussion.
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM
H and A

I wouldnt wear jeans in the dining room on any night, but if someone wants to it doesnt bother me. I like getting dressed for dinner both on a cruise and at home. It makes it feel like more of an event for me. I do wonder why someone would want to wear jeans on a tropical cruise though? Khakis are far more comfortable. On formal nights I would say it is a must to dress nicely and have your children do so otherwise choose another dining option.

On the other hand people who get all worked up over people who dress casually on non formal nights or other parts of the ship really must have small lives. Its a vacation relax. If you are getting worked up about something so small perhaps you should consider medication instead of a cruise. Theres so much to do on a ship and if you have time to worry about other peoples dress you arent getting the most out of your cruise.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
DeeDee77

Here Here! H and A and Peter , you both have voiced the jeans issue very well. Carnival is very laxed about jeans. Who made any of you the "clothing police" for the cruise lines. Geeeesh! Get over it and worry about something in your own back yard.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
beanboy

Hi! I'm a first time cruiser and i will be traveling on the navigator. My question is about JEANS? How many formal nights are there on a 7 day cruise? What about jeans? From what i've read so far, no jean with holes, to used or torn in any way.

Formal nights are dressed up, is there a captains dinner?
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:32 PM
H and A

Formal nights depend on the line but for a 7 day cruise you might have 2 of them. A 5 day cruise will have 1. There are always alternate dining decisions on formal nights though in case you didnt feel like it.