Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2005, 04:52 PM
C.

Default formal dress question

Hello everyone,

My family and I are going on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska (on the Mercury) in July. My 16-year-old daughter has a dress that she originally bought/wore for an important solo music performance. It is full-length, has spaghetti straps, and is a sparkly red fabric with a draped section across the front and a "fishtail" at the back. It would also be suitable as a very nice prom dress. My question is, would this be all right for her for a formal night on our cruise, or would it be too fancy?

Also, if any of you have seen/wore those traditional Chinese dresses (silk or similar, with Mandarin collars and clasps and slits up the side), would those be suitable?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: formal dress question

your daughter's dress sounds beautiful, fine for formal night. You will see everything from fancy ball gowns, cocktail dressess to pantsuits. The long oriental dressess with the mandarin collars are fine for formal night.
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Mikes Wifee

Both sound like they would work! I agree with the previous post...you will see everything! And usually after dinner...people head straight for their rooms and change back into their shorts!
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I thought you HAD to stay dressed on formal night ...I hope its NOT the case.
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Does anyone know if the kids have to eat with the adults on formal night?
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Dixie Lee

Default Re: Re: formal dress question

After having been on 5 cruises, I just recently found out that the expectation is that, on formal nights, passengers do stay in their formal wear for the evening. I guess we were just dunces, but we headed right to our cabins after dinner and changed into casual clothes so that we could really relax and enjoy ourselves. It was on one of these boards that I came across a thread about this very topic and I came to the realization that formal night was considered to be all evening, not just for dinner. But, nonetheless, we changed clothes, we were not the only ones to do so, no one looked sideways at us (not that we noticed, anyway) and we had a great time. Anyway, for what it is worth, we will do the same on our cruises next month, to the Bahamas and to Alaska, and will have a great time regardless.
Dixie Lee
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Mikes Wifee

On formal night..as long as we dressed for the dinners and receptions....it didn't seem like it mattered afterwards! At least we were comfortable!
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:55 PM
C.

Thank you all for your responses! I'm very appreciative.
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Admiral

a lot depends upon what you are planning on doing after your dinner. Technically if you look at your ships paper it will state "The dress code for this evening is....."
If you are planning on attending any kind of reception, party or on Princess the Midnight Champagne Waterfall and Party then you would want to stay dressed in your formal clothes.

Kids are more than welcome in the dining rooms on formal nights, they just need to get dressed up. If they dine with you on casual nights then there is no reason why they cannot dine with you on formal nights, the only things that change on formal nights is the ambiance and the food.