Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Yeoman

Default Yeah ! Levis are back !

If you have them, bring them!
Everyone wears them, yup, even oh my God, in the main dining hall for dinner!
(except on formal night of course) It appears to be the new trend. Thank God!
Young and old, seemed to be relaxed and comfortable in them.
and I saw no one tell the old man (with the big hole on his bum) he was out of place!

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Dee Dee

Default Re: Yeah ! Levis are back !

Levi jeans....as in blue?
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Cruisingrandma

That's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Takes away from the fun of dressing up for dinner... We still will dress up......... Happy cruising......
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Levi's may be back, but jeans in the tropics? Not for me!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Andre

I'm not exactly sure who would be that thrilled to wear jeans in the Caribbean. Maybe someone who's never been there!

Maybe your "Limited Edition" Harley-Davidson motorcycle jacket could complete that outfit. I'm SURE it would be more comfortable that those of us fools in tropical weight clothing!
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:23 AM
sls

I'll still be wearing my sundresses to dinner. I don't find levis comfortable when eating, I wouldn't make it to the dessert course.

sls
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

no thank you. I am much more comfortable in lightweight flowing fabrics when cruising in hot weather. I will stick with my sundress, linen and cotton trousers.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Whats the big deal if someone wears jeans or not? So what if it is in the "Carribean"?

Aren't the cruise ships air conditioned? Sometimes the dining rooms are downright chilly. Geez people. Wear what you want.
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Charnelle

I'm going on a cruise to Bermuda in a few weeks. Since Bermuda not part of the Caribbean I think I'll be o.k. in demin capris. Besides, I heard that the Bermuda weather in may is very warm, comfortable and sometimes cool. So, I assume I'll be fine wearing demin capris. This is my first cruise.
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Yeoman

when I went, it was a bit cool outside. Even cooler inside the ship.
I was told prior to my first cruise, that jeans were unacceptable and would not be found. Only to see that they were all over the place!
Some people really like jeans, some don't. Such is life...
I look at it this way, your on vacation, wear what you want and enjoy your time!
and as it had appeared, that was the feeling all over the ship!

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Charnelle

I agree, wear your demin and have fun!
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM
24rocks

Default Re: Re: Yeah ! Levis are back !

What about Alaska ehh?
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

unfortunatley most of you are missing the point. All cruise lines have a posted, written, dress code, for the MAIN DINING ROOMS, and ALTERNATIVE RESTAURANTS, end of discussion. The cruise lines give you choices other than the above if you decide that you wish not to abide by the dress code. Just because everyone is doing it, does that make it right???? its called common courtesy to your fellow passengers who choose to abide by the dress codes, its not all about me,me, me, my vacation and i will do as i please.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

thank-you, thank-you. it took a lot of courage for me to post that. I am sure that i will get slammed, but i am just so d$%M sick and tired of all the whining about the dress code and all the me, me, me it's all about me and my vacation and i will do as i please attitude that many folks see to have PHEW!
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Passenger

You can easily dress up jeans and are not forced to go the Polo route for the nighttime fine dining. For example, one could pair a pair of new, fitted, clean, NON-DISTRESSED jeans with chic heels and a dressy top or camisole. Upgrade to fitted white jeans for an even sharper look. Not only is this look stylish, but it is entirely appropriate for a cruise dinner.

Edited To Add: I'll be sailing the British Isles via the Golden Princess next month, and am expecting slightly cooler weather. Jeans and long dresses will be a requirement for the varying 40-80 temperatures.

Post Edited (05-20-05 18:18)
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM
clo

Yes, one can "dress up" jeans. My 26 year old daughter lives in San Francisco, is ultra chic, size zero, works for an ad agency where jeans (the Paper Denim type at $150+) are pretty much the uniform. But she's the first to say that they are NOT appropriate for "fine dining." If she has an evening function at that type of restaurant, she either dresses differently that day, brings a change or goes home and changes. But I think that really misses the point and I think LisaK touched on it. Whatever one's "host" asks us to wear is what we should honor. The fact that the cruise line doesn't deny one entrance to the dining room doesn't mean that it's alright. It just means that they're polite enough (or probably don't want to alienate customers) to not make an issue of it. I read an allegedly true story many years ago. Some queen (the kind who wears a crown etc!) had a dinner party. There were finger bowls at each seat. One of the less sophisticated guests didn't know what it was for and drank out of it. The queen, in order to not embarass the guest, picked hers up also and drank out of it. Does that mean that it was alright to do it? No. It means that, within limits no matter how incorrect one is, the good host will try to overlook it and not make you feel uncomfortable. I almost think it's better to read a posting where someone says "hey, to heck with it, I'm going to do whatever I want even if it's gauche" rather than have someone say that jeans are appropriate for "fine dining." The fact that they're worn doesn't mean that it's alright. LisaK, like you, I regret that this will probably start another firestorm. Wear what you want, but please, please don't try to justify it as "appropriate."
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Truthfully, when you really get down to it, it's all about how many "Ooooh, that's nice!" & "Love that!" comments you hear throughout the night and whether the outfit is tailored, snazzy, and looks fabulous on you. It is truly all in what you choose and how you carry yourself! The fact is, a cruise atmosphere is laid-back. Dining nights are not taking place in Manhattan, where I used to live - nor are they situated in a swank, 5-star West L.A. restaurant (where my sister lives and where people *still* dress casual). I say look the part, dress attractively, & look sharp - but it doesn't always necessitate a trying-too-hard sequin dress or tux. Skirts also work, as do suits.

That's all. Have fun with your "firestorm"!
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM
JPHC

love how people have to drop the price of things to impress.just go on vacation and have fun .abide by certain rules and have fun.if you go to resorts most require dinner jackets etc so everyone chill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
clo

"love how people have to drop the price of things to impress."

Oops, sometimes for the sake of brevity, emails get editted too much. My only point was that even $150 jeans aren't evening attire And, SugarFree(love that), we probably aren't far apart in some ways. I've had a "uniform" for the last few years for when I'm traveling and need/want to dress up, i.e., theatre in London, niece's nighttime wedding, formal night on cruise). Long black, knit skirt (acetate with a little lycra) with matching top. (Actually I have several pieces: pants, short sleeve, long, etc.) Accessories dress it up or down, packs like a dream, very lightweight, smart (I think). On a 14 day W. Med. cruise with 3 formal nights, I wore it each time. I doubt anyone even noticed. So I think if one even CARES if someone remembers what they'd worn previously - I don't - then keep it low key. Plus I'm just not the sequinned, ballgown kinda person
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
JPHC

okay cool
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Passenger

There is a time and place for everything. I don't believe that jeans are any way appropriate for evening dining. Don't get me wrong, I love jeans. In fact, I'm wearning jeans as I type. But for me, part of the cruise experience is dressing up for a fine dinner. I'd never in a million years wear jean after 6:00PM - they are for casual daytimes, not elegant evenings. Plus, they aren't so comfortable near the equator. So no, I'm not thrilled to hear about jeans being tolerated in the dining room for dinner. Such attire really ruins the atmosphere. When I'm cruising, I want to feel like I'm at the Ritz, not Denny's.
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:51 AM
glojo

uuuuggggghhhh!

I wear jeans everyday at home, and the last thing I want on a cruise is jeans!
I will not even pack them in my suitcase.

I enjoy my PJ's too but come on!
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Yeoman

I find it so funny how people claim they are only following the "Cruise Ships" rules on dress code guidelines, yet these same people can easily break the "Cruise Ships" rules on saving a deck chair for hours!

I am not interested in making a fashion statement here, not by any means!
But I was told jeans were not ok period on any ship, yet when I sailed, that's the fashion I saw everyone wearing! Young and old alike........

Who cares.......I am sure a simple pair of nice blue jeans is not going to ruin anyones cruise? or is it?

Old June 5th, 2005, 09:06 PM
clo

"I find it so funny how people claim they are only following the "Cruise Ships" rules on dress code guidelines, yet these same people can easily break the "Cruise Ships" rules on saving a deck chair for hours! "

I guess I've not been on alert and monitored the fact that someone who's abiding by one rule is breaking another. Are there police for these things?!? And does breaking one rule have anything to do with abiding by another?

Jeans are casual wear (I and my husband worked for one of the premier jeans companies in the world) and there are SO many places to wear them. But NOT in a fine dining establishment - at sea or on land. If you do it, then understand that you've made the decision to flaunt it and don't try to defend it by saying it's alright. Even worse to say "everyone does it." Didn't all our mothers address that lame argument when we tried it in high school.
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Yeoman

Why should I have to defend what many choose to wear on non formal nights?
If it had not been acceptable, then wouldn't you have been turned away at the door?
I saw no "Fashion Police" posted at the doors to the dining hall.
No one turned us away. No one said anything to any of us!
In fact we had a great time...and never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome by anyone!
And there were many other people in there in thier blue jeans!

No one should have to defend themselves to anyone over tasteful clothing?
Am I to understand that just because one wears jeans now means they have no class, no manners, no intelligence?
That's sounds a bit shallow to me! Grow up!

I don't judge people by the clothes on thier back or by thier looks!
If I did, then I guess I would now have to call my lord "JESUS" a hippie then!

Listen people, Although the resturant is nice and the service is good,
it's not the POLO CLUB! I was not dining with the President.
I was, like many others there, simply dining with my family on non formal night!
I should not have to dress to impress anyone! No one should!
I do agree there is a time and a place for certian attire, but this is not one of them!

So go ahead, glare, point fingers and say things behind my back all you want!
It won't ruin my cruise! In fact it will be a lot of fun watching you all...........

Old June 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Admiral

just so that you know the Maitre D does have the authority to refuse entry into his dining room if your attire is improper, have seen it done. You could be sent back to your cabin to change.
As i posted before, the cruise lines have written dress codes for dining in the main dining rooms, and they give you a totally casual alternative to the main dining rooms if you don't feel like dressing properly. End of discussion.
Just because a lot of people choose to break the rules does that still make it right?
......."If everyone was jumping off a bridge........" remember that one from childhood. Still applies.
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
glojo

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....so if comfort is more important to you than looks, then by all means wear them....just don't sit at my table.
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
clo

If there's a "time and place for certain attire," who gets to be in charge of saying when and where that is. Wouldn't that be the host? Just because the host has too much dignity to turn you away doesn't mean that their request for a certain level of dress shouldn't be honored. When I host parties, I give my guests an idea of attire (mostly casual but occasionally black tie). Would they wear jeans to black tie? Certainly not. But, if they did, I was raised to welcome them regardless. It's the HOST not the GUEST who gets to make those decisions. Again, wear those jeans but don't try to justify it. Just say, I don't care what my host asks, I'm not going to do it. At least be honest about it. PS: Why would dining with a president cause someone to dress differently? If it's respect, shouldn't we respect the host? Some of these asides get a tad too esoteric for me to understand.
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Yeoman

I will type this (word for word) right out of the CCL Welcome Aboard Booklet.

What kind of clothing should I bring?
Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. Shorts, slack, sundresses, blouses, etc..., are fine for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. You'll have a chance to dress up to nights on 6-day or longer cruises (one night on 5-day or shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. We suggest formal attire: cocktail dress for women; a dark suit or tuxedo for men. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner; that includes sport shirts for men and slacks for women. SHORTS AND T-SHIRTS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM AREA DURING DINNER.

I do not see where it shows, that I or anyone else in jeans on a non-formal night is insulting the host? Carnival clearly states on the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner! Even jeans can be very fashionable. We are not talking about ratty looking ones, just a nice simple pair with a cute top and heels.

Why should dining with the president cause someone to dress differently?
Just think about it.......One could be trying to impress him.
Then again, The president is a southern (like I) and he might have his on!

Until it is cleary stated in the text, there is no reason to go this crazy over it.
Just relax and enjoy your cruise. To each his own.
I promise I won't sit at any of your tables!

Old June 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Clo, I completely agree with you. It is the host that sets the attire standards. Like you, when my invitations say black tie, then I expect black tie, because I expect my guests to respect my wishes. If they don't, then they need not attend.

The same goes for a cruise. The ship is my host, and I follow their rules. If I didn't like their rules, then I would patronize another line.