Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:47 PM
KarenConley

Default scissors

I plan to use cable ties on my suitcases. Does anyone know whether you can bring foldup scissors or a manicure set that has scissors on board the ship. I am not flying so I do not have to worry about their restrictions. Anyone know this.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: scissors

Take nail clippers instead.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you aren't flying, why the cable ties???
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Andee

I always have a small scissors oin my checked luggage, and I've never had trouble boarding a ship.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes: Scissors or manicure sets are allowed.

Nail clippers work even better for cable ties. Put a pair in the outside, unlocked, pocket of your luggage.

Diverbl: Cable ties work for keeping the zippers closed as well as a locking mechanism.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Karen,

If you aren't flying I think you should lock your luggage.

When you get to the port the porters take your bags and you don't see them again until they reach your cabin. On the last night you put your bags out in the hallway until they can be picked up and put out in the terminal.

That's a lot of time for something to "disappear". I've heard of people having things stolen from unlocked luggage. Sadly, you just can't trust everyone.

Even if I was flying, I'd lock my luggage after getting it off the plane.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
KarenConley

Hi Fern

I plan to lock my luggage with the keys that came with them. What I was concerned about were the zip pockets on the outside of my luggage as I did not have locks for them and plan to use cable ties on these. As the above post said--you give you luggage to porters at boarding and never see your things again until delivered to your room and a lot can happen in that time. Also the last night you have to leave them in the hall for them to be picked up and I worry about being out of my site with things in the pockets not locked. Maybe I am a worry wart--but I want to take any and all precautions that I can. This is my first cruise and I am excited, anxious, nervous, thrilled about this cruise. I plan on having a wonderful time no matter what happens.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Charnelle

I also plan on locking my luggage with cable ties. Besides my suitcase didn't even come with a lock.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: scissors

We bought a manicure set as a gift for someone and when my husband had to walk through the metal detector, it kept going off over and over again. They inspected the carry-on and said we had to remove the cuticle scissors. The security guard mentioned we could have them mailed to us if we supplied the postage, but we decided to let it go. Luckily, I had an unused pair of scissors that I used for a replacement. It was a little embarrasing to be held up, but I guess its' being done for our security.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Yeoman

We used wire ties on our cases too. I handed the toe nail clippers to my DH and we never saw them again! It wasn't easy getting those suit cases open with no cutting utensil! When we got home, they were sitting on his night stand. He figured his nails would be fine during the trip and opted to leave them.

Holiday May 2000
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:05 PM
KarenConley

I guess I will go with a pair of foldup scissors that I use with my cross stitch work. Hopefully, this will not set off any alarms. Also planning to take nail clippers too. Thanks for all the advice.
Karen
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Beginner

My daughter had a swiss army knife that she had traveled with for 10 yers and the last
time we traveled out of DFW they took it . And they will take scissors unless you
put it the checked luggage.. I am 72 yrs old and knee replacements and my
back makes the alarm go off and I have a card that says I have had knee and hip
replacements but I still have to be wanded and take my shoes off and I am in
a wheelchair but if it keeps the airplane safe, I don't care.
Have a wonderful time on your cruise.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:54 PM
First Mate

Worked for TSA -

I worked as an airport screener with the Transportation Security Dept, for 13 months (until Nov. 2003). You can't take scissors or any sharp object in your checked or carry on bags. You also can't carry cigarette lighters. Look on the TSA website for all prohibited items - www.tsa.gov
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Mrs. O'Hara

Default Re: Re: scissors

Hi My2cents:

I am not sure if it was different where you worked but as a Travel Agent, I often go into www.tsa.gov and print copies of the "Permitted and Prohibited Items" list. I have been giving these to my clients since 9/11. Every copy I have says that you can bring "Scissors-metal with pointed tips" in your checked luggage.

My mother likes to knit on cruises so this is something that was important to her. When you are checking your baggage with the ticket counter agent they will ask you if you have any of these items and you must remember to tell them.

Here is a link to that list with the TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...16_2005_v3.pdf
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You can even carry firearms, hunting knives, swords, etc in your checked baggage if they are identified and properly packed. It is done every day for hunters who travel. Scissors are very common. Perhaps things were a bit more strict and confusing right after 9/11/01 but it is now quite standard. If you have scissors or anything on the list confiscated or refused, ask to speak to a Supervisor. Lighters in checked baggage are a fire hazard.

Here is the current list from the TSA of what can and cannot be taken onboard an aircraft.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...16_2005_v3.pdf

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

I understood the poster to say she in NOT flying so the question is simply about SHIP security and the answer is "yes, you can bring scissors, nail clippers and even a small pocket knife"
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM
KarenConley

Just so everyone will know--I had not problems carrying my folding scissors on board. They were in my pocketbook and it went through the xray maching just fine. No one asked any questions at all. The cable ties worked great. Another thing that I did and would recommend for anyone is putting some type of colored duct tape or bows, or ribbons on the handles of your suitcase. It sure did help in locating our bags in disembarking. Just make sure you put in on all of your bags. We forgot to put it on a backpack and had to look for that.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Default RE: Identify bags & Using Cable ties

I plan on using colored cable ties for the suitcase zippers. I read that if security does go thru your bag, they replace with clear (white?) ties. That way I will know if suitcase had been opened. Don't forget ties for return trip home.
Also pack ANY valuables, delicate and souveniers that are too precious to lose in a carry on bag-just my advice.

As far as identifying bag two ways:
The mom way- went to a store like Target and bought the fluorescent velcro wrap handles that are padded--picked one color for all bags. To make sure they are not undone, I sewed them shut!
The son way--a big old X of yep--pink duct tape. To to each his own.

Hint: I put handle covers on top handle and side handle if you have more than one handle, never know which way bag will be standing, or come out of airport luggage carousel.

I also own a laminating machine (from Sam's Club) I made luggage tags for where my bags were going--spelled it out clearly if going to hotel, or ship. Then changed for way home. Yep--I may over think things, but my girl scout days taught me to "be prepared"

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Admiral

I also stow nailclippers in an unlocked, outside pocket of my luggage to cut the cable ties. I've used colored cable ties too...another help to identify your luggage.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:17 PM
hydro-terp

If the TSA goes through your bag they will put a little card in there and wrap the outside with TSA packing tape which is white with TSA lettering.
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
BAS

where do you purchase those cable ties that everyone is mentioning? How do you put them on? Just thread them through and pull? I never even thought about locking or tieing luggage. I am a trusting soul...
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Hello BAS,

You can find the cable ties at WalMart or KMart in bags of "more than you need". They are very inexpensive. They're in the electronic department. They are similar to the ties that come with garbage bags, except they can't be undone without cutting them.

We don't fly to the ports, but use them on the outside pockets of our suitcases to keep someone from putting something in the pockets that might be illegal. When your suitcases are out of your sight (at check in, then when you put them outside your cabin the last night for pickup) you just never know what might happen in this day and age, unfortunately. I'm generally with you on the "trusting soul", but these days it pays to be careful.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: RE: Identify bags & Using Cable ties

This is a post cruise regarding cable ties. For one pack a large fistful--can't tell you how many times we needed something after cabling shut!
Second: Using the colored ties which remianed uncut, remained intact after bags in the hall, temporarily checked with bellman and then airport home. So piece of mind nothing was missing.
RE: Lime green handle covers--when we reached carousel to pick up luggage and only found two lime bags instead of three we checked, the attendant who worked for the airline knew right away there were only TWO lime green handled bags as they caught her attention. It was also a possible identifier to locate are missing bag.
The good news: We found it on our doorstep after midnight (they had an ok with us not to have to sign for it when they delivered it.) and yes all cable ties were in tact.
So go with the ties, and carry more than one clippers! My parents couldn't find theres for a while and used a buffet butter knife!
So: Many clippers
Large fistful colored cable ties
Duct tape to identify bag or fluorescent fabric tied to handles (we also needed duct tape to do some minor suitcase repair.)
Make sure ID is secure on outside, and after them losing bag, perhaps on inside
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:35 AM
BAS

Thanks for the advice! You all are wonderful! So much piece of mind as I gather things to pack etc. Two months less a day til our trip!
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

I carry the infant nail scissors. I like to do needlework while waiting for flights, etc and security personnel didn't like my embroidery scissors. I picked up the blunt tipped scissors in the baby department of my local drug store. I've had security ask to see them but they've never said anything more about them. And they cut cable ties.