Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Luggage carts

Does any one know the policy is in regards to taking luggage carts on the plane?
We have 3 carry on size bags and want to avoid checking them. If we use a fold away luggage cart, can it be taken on and stowed under the seats?

I don't know what airline the tour company has chosen yet.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Luggage carts

Hi Sea,
You will have to go the the site of the airline you are taking and see if it will fit the size requirements for carry-on. I know there is a limit to the number of carry-ons and that may be considered as one item, most are 2 per person. I think you may just have to check them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Passenger

The last few times I have flown, the airline (Delta) stated specifically that we were each allowed one carry-on that would fit under seat, or in the overhead bin, and one personal item, like a handbag or a laptop case.

Do people violate this? Absolutely, but, keep in mind, the airline has the legal right to make you check any bags that exceed this limit. I had this happen in Hong Kong, and, maybe, they are more strict over there, but I certainly wouldn't want to bet the farm on it.

Plus, EVERYONE has carry-ons, and you may be taking up a space that someone else could use. I know if I had to check my carry-on because someone had 3 bags, and a luggage cart, I'd be royally ticked off.

I'd re-think this if I were you
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
clo

I agree with BobC. One is the risk that they won't let you bring on 3. I travel a fair amount and on various airlines and they all say one carryon and one personal item. So that could inconvenience YOU. And, yes, I get really grumpy when all the overheads are filled and my ONE carryon can't be put there. Just because it gets tolerated, to me doesn't justify inconveniencing one's fellow travelers. And YOU could be in the position of finding all the overheads filled and then have to spend a long flight with all the bags under your seat. Ditto re rethinking.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Well, I solved the luggage cart problem. We now have one large bag to check, 2 carry on and my handbag. the porters will not be happy when they go to pick this puppy up, but, oh well, that the way ist's gonna be.

Old May 24th, 2005, 05:56 PM
clo

Hate to put a fly in the ointment, but if flying domestic, there's a weight limit per bag of, I believe, 35 pounds; international is 50. But that can vary airline to airline so you will probably want to check their website. They charge pretty hefty excess baggage charges. Plus what makes me a wee bit crazy is that if, say, one bag weighs 30 and the other weighs 40, they don't average it out but charge you for one being 5 over. I've seen people standing at the counter repacking their luggage. No lie. We were recently in Europe and our heavier bags got a special "heavy" tag put on it so the handlers would be warned. Traveling isn't quite as glamourous as some people would think. Good luck and have a good time anyway.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Admiral

totally agree with clo, have a scale handy when you are packing. We did this and we were glad we did. We orginally packed in one big ole suitcase, we put it on the scale, it was over so we got out one smaller suitcase and re-packed.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Yeoman

Ditto-I weighed my bag before leaving home and it was iffy. At the airport it was over the limit (I believe it was 50 lbs for domestic as well). So I opened it up and took out my tolietry bad and tossed it in my carry-on. I left it on top in my suitcase just in case. That solved the problem. Whats really nice is that I have a 3 yr old and since he doesnt need the leg room, I put out carry ons under his seat. And thanks to him, we can bring extra carry ons, though for my sanity I try to get it all into one rolling backpack!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Delta's weight limit is 50 lbs., Jet Blue is 70 lbs. I use both of these airlines often and it depends on the porter/ticket agent as to how strict they if you are slightly over (a few pounds at most)

I believe all the rest of the major carriers are also 50 lbs. Once you find out what airline you are going on, I would either call them or check their website. It is pretty expensive if you go over the weight limit.