Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Default Formal dress for men

Is a nice dark suit appropriate for men on the formal nights?
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal dress for men

That's what my husband wore.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, you'll see plenty of men in their dark suits, and quite a few in tux's as well. The dark suit will be just fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM
glojo

Absolutely! If he wants to get creative he can coordinate his tie with your outfit or get something really flashy.
My Dhubs bought a tux for our last cruise, I'd say at best only 10% wear tuxedos, most men wear suits.
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Nevermind--post absolutely irrelevant. Sorry!

Post Edited (06-27-05 18:16)
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Carolus Magnus

Please make sure that it is a dark suit however...some men just don't get that a business suit (e.g., grey) is not formal, that is business attire. Also, please don't listen to glojo about coordinating a tie with the female companion's outfit. That is of course unless you are 17 and going to the prom and hoping for some heavy petting in the backseat of the car after the dance.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
ejr414

Just browsing through the posts, getting ideas for our cruise in Sept....and did not realize that a grey suit would not be formal. Is this everyone's opinion? This is our first cruise, and I know I have some shopping to do for myself...but if he need to go shopping to, I better get him started.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Any suit is great! Don't go buy a new one unless you really want to. Another idea, have it cleaned on the ship. Turn it in at 1pm when you can go to your room and it will be delivered cleaned, pressed, no wrinkles, no worries and in time for formal night.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Admiral

If we wanted to get totally "technical" about what is formal for men, then that would mean a tux, period. But the cruise lines have relaxed the formal dress to include suits for men. Most men have dark suits, - navy and black. Grey is fine as is brown.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver

Grey is fine. You need not buy a dark suit unless you really want to. You will see Men in all types of suits. It really is not as big of a deal as alot of folks attempt to make it. Cordinating the tie is great for pictures. that is what we do. We don't feel we are silly or 17.

Post Edited (07-29-05 15:37)

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:38 AM
Gertrude

Tuxes are preferred for formal night but if he doesnt have one he doesnt need to go out and buy one. A suit on formal night is fine. Navy or grey are probably best but if he doesnt have those any color suit will do. He doesnt need to go out and buy a new suit if he already has one. Personally I would not reccommend a black suit unless its a tuxedo or tails. In my opinion a black suit which is not a tux or tails is sleazy and low class looking.
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Admiral

" In my opinion a black suit which is not a tux or tails is sleazy and low class looking."

WHAT????

On my last 5 cruises I have seen 3 tuxes (if that) per night and those were the ones where the whole family got dressed for a special occasion and were taking pictures. Most men were in suits of all colors and yes even black suits. I guess i was on a "sleazy and low class" cruise. FYI - my DH's suit is dark blue.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Andre

OK, everyone calm down...

First off, NO suit is "formal" in the evening, except a tux. It doesn't matter if it's grey, blue, black, or yellow-checked. The ONLY formal evening suit is a tux.

But, your host, in this case the Cruise line, can offer its formal guests the OPTION of wearing a suit instead of a tux. This does not make the suit formal, it simply means that a suit will be acceptable for the formal event. Since the more formal suits (business suits) are dark colored (greay, navy, black), usually a "dark" suit is what is suggested.

A black suit is technically acceptable, however, it is not suggested in this case for a simple reason: You will LOOK like you are mimicing a tux. Especially if you choose to wear a white shirt and bow-tie with it (and many do). Black suits are nice, but since a tux is what is expected, you will inevitably look like you are trying to get away with something, which is just questionable. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with a black suit, and it certainly doesn't mean it's "sleezy," it's just not a good choice to wear a black suit when you are expected to wear a tux. Just one of life's little ironies.

For this reason, I would suggest a grey or navy suit, should you choose to forego actual formal wear. If you DO insist on wearing a black suit, you should make sure you un-tux it as much as possible. Maybe a colorful shirt and regular tie. DO NOT combine it with anything normally worn with a tux.

Unfortunately, since most gentlemen no longer own a tux as part of their standard wardrobe (once common), most hosts will offer the suit option, unless it's a particularly formal occasion. This does not mean that the meaning of formal has changed, only that you are being given a non-formal option by an understanding host.

What IS low-class is showing up to a formal occasion/even in dockers and a polo shirt, but some people are proud of doing things like that, so let them have their fun.

Andre
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:22 AM
ejr414

Thanks everyone for your adviceon the grey suits!! We are both so excited. The lady at carnival told me that most of the guys have their jackets and ties off and over the back of the chairs before the entree comes. Please don't yell at me....that is just what she told me, we still have a few weeks before we go!!
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

First off, a cruise line is not a host, and you have not been invited to anything. You have purchased passage on a ship, which includes meals, where upon two nights are classified as "Formal" and "Formal" dress is suggested.

This is not to be confused with being invited to a formal occasion like a wedding, where you are a guest of the host.

The cruise line would be my host, if I were invited to something instead of paying for it. I am not a guest, but a paying customer hence the ability to either accept or disregard the suggested dress accordingly.

Cheers,
Peter

Old August 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Ron & Jon

Simple:

One black suite : One formal shirt, studs and bow tie.
One dress shirt with regular tie.

Now you have two outfits, one for formal nights, and one for dressed nights. And don't mind the negative comments, usually attributed to those who have rented their Tux. In a sea of Penguins, who is to notice or care for that matter that you do not have satin lapels or stripes on your pants. You'll meet the dress code and you'll feel terrific.

And when it comes down to simple packing, this is a winner
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Passenger

"My Dhubs bought a tux for our last cruise, I'd say at best only 10% wear tuxedos, most men wear suits."

The 10% figure bothers me. It largely depends on the itinerary and the cruiseline. For example, Cunard and Seabourn are more formal than Carnival. A cruise to the Caribbean is less formal than a transatlantic crossing. It really depends on the line and the itinerary.

Here's what to do... go to the message board of the cruise line you're traveling on, and ask precisely how formal the formal nights are--whether tuxes are the norm, or whether the majority of people wear suits. Base your decision on that answer!

Just think how it'd be to see every gentleman in a tux and every lady in a gown! :-)

Post Edited (09-05-05 20:44)
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
OK, everyone calm down...

First off, NO suit is "formal" in the evening, except a tux. It doesn't matter if it's grey, blue, black, or yellow-checked. The ONLY formal evening suit is a tux.

But, your host, in this case the Cruise line, can offer its formal guests the OPTION of wearing a suit instead of a tux. This does not make the suit formal, it simply means that a suit will be acceptable for the formal event. Since the more formal suits (business suits) are dark colored (greay, navy, black), usually a "dark" suit is what is suggested.

A black suit is technically acceptable, however, it is not suggested in this case for a simple reason: You will LOOK like you are mimicing a tux. Especially if you choose to wear a white shirt and bow-tie with it (and many do). Black suits are nice, but since a tux is what is expected, you will inevitably look like you are trying to get away with something, which is just questionable. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with a black suit, and it certainly doesn't mean it's "sleezy," it's just not a good choice to wear a black suit when you are expected to wear a tux. Just one of life's little ironies.

For this reason, I would suggest a grey or navy suit, should you choose to forego actual formal wear. If you DO insist on wearing a black suit, you should make sure you un-tux it as much as possible. Maybe a colorful shirt and regular tie. DO NOT combine it with anything normally worn with a tux.

Unfortunately, since most gentlemen no longer own a tux as part of their standard wardrobe (once common), most hosts will offer the suit option, unless it's a particularly formal occasion. This does not mean that the meaning of formal has changed, only that you are being given a non-formal option by an understanding host.

What IS low-class is showing up to a formal occasion/even in dockers and a polo shirt, but some people are proud of doing things like that, so let them have their fun.

Andre
I take exception to your post! The Mess Dress uniform is a formal dress to those who are active duty military or those retirees that choose to wear their military mess dress (Read Tux.) I do!

Also those who are Irish or Scottish may want to wear their formal kilt outfits which are also covered under formal attire.

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Admiral

ejr414,

Just browsing through the posts, getting ideas for our cruise in Sept....and did not realize that a grey suit would not be formal. Is this everyone's opinion?

It depends upon (1) the cruise line's "suggested" (by the norms of social etiquette, conformance is NOT optional...) attire and (2) the shade of grey.

As several others have pointed out, "formal" correctly means so-called "black tie" -- that is, gentlemen wear a tuxedo or dinner jacket, a "mess dress" uniform of a military or naval service (if entitled), or the social equivalent of one's own culture (Scotsmen frequently wear a pleated shirt, black bow tie, and dinner jacket with a kilt, for example). Most of the major cruise lines haveJust browsing through the posts, getting ideas for our cruise in Sept....and did not realize that a grey suit would not. Back in the 1970's, most of the major cruise lines adopted a modified formal standard, which they still use, as a concession to the fact that many gentlemen did not own formalwear. The modified standard admits a DARK business suit instead of a tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit. On a line that has adopted this standard, therefore, a DARK business suit is acceptable. Note that DARK may be any color -- black, navy, charcoal, forest green, etc. -- so long as it is DARK.

Now, turning to the question of a GREY business suit, its acceptability for formal night on cruise lines that have adopted this modified formal standard depends entirely upon the shade of grey. Here, the relevant question is whether or not it is DARK. A DARK shade of grey (charcoal, etc.) is proper, but light shades of grey are not.

Norm.
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Admiral

PeterV,

First off, a cruise line is not a host, and you have not been invited to anything. You have purchased passage on a ship, which includes meals, where upon two nights are classified as "Formal" and "Formal" dress is suggested.

According to the norms of social etiquette, your statement that "a cruise line is not a host" is absolutely wrong. The proprieter of a restaurant, a ballroom or dance hall, a night club, a theater, a museum, or other venue has is a host, and has an absolute right not only to set, but also to enforce, standards dress within the establishment. Such standards may apply either to the establishment as a whole or to a particular function or evening. In purchasing the product or admission to an event, you incur the obligation to comply with those standards. If you do not wish to conform to the standards set by the establishment, you have every right to take your business elsewhere. You absolutely do NOT have the right to "crash the party" by showing up in unacceptable attire.

Historically, many establishments that had evening dress codes had coats and ties at the ready for those who came without them. Of course, the coats and ties were brightly colored, befitting a clown, so one looked like a buffoon while wearing them. It was a strong incentive to wear a coat and tie of one's own rather than what ehe estabiliehment provided -- but I digress.

Anyway a cruise line is in exactly the same position as a restaurant, a dance hall, a nightclub, a museum, or any other venue, and it has exactly the same right not only to prescribe, but also to enforce, a dress code. If you do not wish to conform to the prescribed attire, you have an absolute right to go elsewhere -- another cruise line, a land resort, or whatever -- where the standards are different. Whenever you purchase a cruise, you agree to conform to the standard of dress and other standards of personal conduct that the cruise line has prescribed for your cruise.

BTW, the standard contracts of passage on all of the major cruise lines state that the cruise line has the absolute right to terminate the voyage of any passenger for "inappropriate behavoir" in the next port of call without compensation. From a strictly legal perspective, failure to conform to the published standards of dress does constitute "inappropriate behavior" within that provision. Alghouth most cruise lines would apply such remedies only in the most eggregious cases, the fact remains that those who don't comply are on very thin ice.

Norm.
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Just to put a new spin on things, and lighten things up - My significant other will be wearing his kilt and Prince Charlie Jacket - he is Scottish and loves this chance to wear it at the formals. Sorry any more information as to his attire ( or not) is a secret.....
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Pagan,

Just to put a new spin on things, and lighten things up - My significant other will be wearing his kilt and Prince Charlie Jacket - he is Scottish and loves this chance to wear it at the formals.

I have long admired the Scottish formalwear. It's always very striking -- and very appropriate!

Sorry any more information as to his attire ( or not) is a secret.....

Let's not go there!

Norm.
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Just trying to raise a smile - you guys were getting far to serious on dress, after all the formals are just two nights and the overall aim is to have a wonderful time and enjoy yourselves.
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Beginner

Okay, so don't shoot me, but quick question on the formal dress for men. If a man were to wear a nice dark jacket with shirt and tie, are khakis acceptable or not? I have a friend who is cruising this next weekend with DW and 3 children and does not own a suit. He was just asking me so I thought I would toss it out there to you experts...

Plus I am a newbie here so be nice to me! ha ha
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBUSSELL
Okay, so don't shoot me, but quick question on the formal dress for men. If a man were to wear a nice dark jacket with shirt and tie, are khakis acceptable or not? I have a friend who is cruising this next weekend with DW and 3 children and does not own a suit. He was just asking me so I thought I would toss it out there to you experts...

Plus I am a newbie here so be nice to me! ha ha
He can't afford a pair of dark dress slacks to match his dark jacket? Did he win the cruise?
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Well that pretty much answered my question.....and no he didn't win the cruise. They just don't want to haul all the extra clothing with 3 kids to pack for too. Thanks
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Passenger

For a weeks cruise I would guess he would want to pack two pairs of slacks at least for evenings - so why not one dark pair to do formal and a light pair for other nights. Surely that will not take up too much room? Even we S.O. could not object to you guys taking that small amount of space from us.....
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Gbussell - that outfit is what the cruise lines would consider to be "smart casual" or "informal" He really shoud get a nice pair of dark dress pants to go with his coat, shirt/tie. If however for some reason that cannot be done, he would be ok on most mainstream cruise lines.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Admiral

GBUSSELL,

Well that pretty much answered my question.....and no he didn't win the cruise. They just don't want to haul all the extra clothing with 3 kids to pack for too.

If the issue is not hauling anything, the better solution would be to rent formalwear through the cruise line. The cruise line will deliver the formalwear to his cabin on embarkation day, and he would just leave it there at the end -- nothing to haul.

Norm.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

that outfit is what the cruise lines would consider to be "smart casual" or "informal"

Actually, neither "smart casual" nor "informal" require a necktie and "smart casual" does not require a jacket.

Princess Cruises started using the term "smart casual" in 2001 because they found that a lot of passengers were misinterpreting "casual" and showing up for dinner in jeans, T shirts or sweatshirts, and other inappropriate attire. The "suggested" attire for "smart casual" evenings is exactly what the line suggested for "casual" evenings before the adoption of the new terminology. The change in terminology did cause a lot of confusion, though!

Norm.