Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:49 PM
kcmom

Default Opinion on teenage attire

Need helping deciding the formal night dress for a BIG 16-year old boy - 250 lbs/6 ft.2. We grow them big in Tennessee.

Option 1: Beige slacks/shirt/tie/navy blue sports coat

Option 2: Black pants/Black shoes/White shirt/Tie

Teenage son thinks option 2 is more "dressy" than option 1. I think option 1 is more dressy because it includes a jacket.

If one of the above will work, I would prefer to use it because we already HAVE it.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Opinion on teenage attire

Let him wear which ever one he is more comfortable in. I saw alot of men without jackets on our cruise on formal night. Either one sounds fine with me. I think when my son was 16 (he's 20 now) he would have picked option #2 also.

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:31 PM
clo

Like the mom, I'd vote for #1 since the cruise probably states tuxedo or dark suit and a blazer at least marginally fulfills that request. But I don't think I'd want a family battle over it. Especially since there will be people who AREN'T 16 who will completely disregard the dress code.
Old June 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Passenger

It all depends on your ship's dress code. Your son, 16, is almost an adult, and has to realize that in the adult world, certain standard of dress are required at times. However, if either of your options meet your ship's dress codes, than he will be just fine.
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM
cali-croozer

Option 2 is what most teenage boys wear on Carnival. That's the only cruiseline I have experience with.
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:54 AM
kcmom

Default Re: Re: Opinion on teenage attire

Problem solved. Navy blazier no longer fit so we headed off to the mall. After looking really hard, we found a sale on suits - $99 - that was the same as the price of a new blazier.

Teenager thinks he looks cool in black suit - "Men in Black" thing I guess -and mom is happy. We already had belt, shoes, tie, so not out too much money.

I even thought briefly about borrowing a tux from the high school band that he is in. Our top bands perform in tuxes owned by the school and we just turned ours back in for the year, but teenager thinks black suit is far more cool and he can wear it to a family wedding later this summer.

I think deep down the kids really do enjoy the opportunity to dress up, or at least are curious enough to give it a try. Now if I can convince him to cut his hair............

kcmom
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Glad everything worked out for you. Now, good luck with the haircut.!!!! :o)

Old June 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Admiral

way to go kcmom!
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Patricia K

We found a wide variety of clothing was wore.Mostly strive for something dressy but comfortable.Really not to many teens on our cruise but the ones that were came across as very polite,a great bunch of teens and a joy to have along.This was a cruise taken for my birthday on May 12/2005 where i was served a great cake and the staff sang happy birthday to me--i offered to share my cake with the teens--what a great bunch.I tried to convince them that it was my party and i had hired our ship and had invited all 800 passengers aboard just for my party(Smiles).
I will definately miss those teens on my return to Canada.
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM
dc10

I just got off the Sapphire cruise and I found that a lot of the passengers dressed up and stayed dressed up. Being a young adult I usually get out of my dress clothes after dinner ,but most stayed dressed up. I have been to Alaska before on Princess and most of the time everyone changed after dinner or did not dress up at all. I usually change after dinner but I felt that I should stay dressed up since everyone else is still dressed up. I saw a lot of people including a few teens wearing nice dress clothes on smart causal nights.
This one girl was always dressed nice during the day so I change into my nice clothes oxford shirt, nice pants, sweater vest, dress shoes and talk to her. She said she likes to dress up on cruise ships. We did a lot of things together and I usually wore my polo shirt and dress pants during the day with her even though I wouldn't if I was not with her.

I don't know why this cruise so many people dressed up? Do you think it was because it was a round trip from Seattle?
Brian
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Good luck with that haircut......

Now let him get a really cool tie and he'll complete the "men in black" look! And for goodness sake, MAKE him pose for a formal picture with the family (and maybe one alone for the girls in his life)!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:32 AM
kcmom

Hair cut is scheduled! I'm definitely planning on getting pictures. My 12-year-old even wanted new dress clothes after seeing older brother.

Last question: I know that jeans are not appropriate in dining room ever. Are jean shorts okay for during the day?

kcmom
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Any kind of shorts for during the day, no matter where you dine.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:51 PM
miller

What's the big deal about getting dressed up anyways?

My mom bought me all new clothes for our cruise. I couldn't wear any of my T-shirts or jeans. Only polo or dress shirts and nice pants. And for formal night she rented me a tux and I could not take it off at all. I don't know why my mom likes me to dressed up on this cruise. She lets me wear what ever I want at home. A few nights she made me wear my suit that's what I was going to wear for formal nights instead I had to wear a tux for formal.
I hate pictures and we took all the formal pictures. I want to be outside not inside dressed all stiff.

I think some people get carried away with dressing up on ships.

Mark
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:44 AM
cali-croozer

Mark..........it's because your Mom wanted to see you all dressed up for a week. I have the same "rules" for my teen boys too regarding jeans and t-shirts--we don't pack them. I do let them change after dinner though. Anyway, it sounds like you survived and your mom was happy. And, other than the "dressing up", you had a great time, didn't you? A small price to pay for a cruise!!!
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM
kcmom

Mark,

I agree with the above poster. My two teens would prefer NOT to dress up, but they realize that it is just part of the whole "cruise" world. They also have a strict dress code at their high school. They don't love it, but realize that it is in place for a reason.

As far as the cruise, just remember that those pictures are and will be very precious to your mom. I bet you looked great in your tux! I teach in an inner city school. Most of my young students will never get to experience a cruise, so give your mom and a hug and tell her that you'd be happy to wear that tux again for your NEXT cruise! : )

kcmom
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Mark, the cruise line has a written dress code for dining. That's why you needed to dress the way that you did, regardless. You are young, its important for you to learn that in our society there are certain situations and occassions that require a certain type and level of dress regardless if you like it or not. Sorry to say that some adults have yet to learn this lesson.
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:26 PM
miller

Default Re: Re: Re: Opinion on teenage attire

Thanks for all your responses. All of you are right. I just don't like to dress up all the time. I know that my mom really liked taking the formal pictures.

Yes, I did have a great time and if I had to dress up all day to be on another cruise I would.
Mark
Old June 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
kcmom

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinion on teenage attire

Way to go, Mark! Your response shows a lot of maturity. : )

I'm sure you're on your way to many more great cruises! Cross your fingers that the weather is okay for us in a few weeks! I love my two teenagers, but I don't know what we'll do in rainy weather for 7 days. Can you play a PSP that long? : (

kcmom
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Mark you sound like a very mature young man, some adults could take a lesson from your understanding and attitude.
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM
rosetattoo

kcmom....if you're sailing on Carnival, all Carnival ships have a really good teenage program if your children want to participate....also, we sailed on the Valor last month and they have a dynamite teenage game room/disco/ice cream bar that my grandson loved. He also loved the crazy shows during the days we were at sea and participated in Bingo, Dance Like Austin Powers lessons, etc., he was never bored.
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:16 PM
miller

kcmom,

If your going up to Alaska we had great weather. I heard that June is the best for not raining.
If it does rain, their is so much to do on the ship you wont be bored.

I can't wait to go on another cruise someday. Be ready for pictures especially on formal nights. You can take pictures on every floor if you want to. Also, the photographers will come into the dining room. So, if you don't like pictures their is no escaping it especially if your like my mom who finds every photographer.

Have a great time,
Mark
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Dan111111

I wish more teens stayed dressed up. They change way to fast or not at all. I think that a dress code would be great during the day time.
What do you all think about that?

Dan
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Passenger

I am a teenager. As far as I'm concerned, if someplace requires dressing up (be it a suit, tux, whatever it may be) it must be something special. I believe a cruise easily qualifies for that! ;-)

Post Edited (06-27-05 16:37)
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM
mikel

As a teen-age boy I just wore a polo shirt for day and shorts or pants.
For dress up day I wore a dark suit.

I saw other teens more dressed up than others.