Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Donna T

Default Is it proper?

I live in New England and most people don't wear white after Labor Day and not until after Easter. Do people in the southern states/caribbean wear white all year long? Just wanted to hear opinions from people who live in these areas to see if they wear white clothing all year round.

I would like to pack white shorts/jeans but don't want to stand out like a tourist, even though I am. I don't want to pack something I won't wear.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Is it proper?

Hi Donna,
Don't worry, in the Caribbean, you can wear white all year.. I always pack white shorts and slacks and do wear them, others do too, so go ahead and pack them. That rule doesn't apply there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM
BrendaS.

Why not white shoes? I am from the desert and we don't have rules about what colors to wear except to weddings and funerals. I had thought about getting some whites heels for a Dec. cruise. Is that a bad thing? How about white sneakers?
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

white is always fine on a Caribbean cruise. A white dress, a nice pair of white pants, white capris, shorts - all fine. White sandals are fine, personally don't like white pumps or shoes (looks too much like a nurse, imo) , white sneakers - of course.
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:37 AM
BrendaS.

Thanks Lisa...but now I'm having second thoughts on those white heels, lol. For what I'd be wearing them with black would work too, so maybe I'll just play it safe and stick with black. Or maybe those cute little silver ones I was looking at?? Decisions, decisions.

Gosh, these boards are SO enlightening! I'm in my fifties and I'm finding out that I know more about some foreign customs/traditions than I do about my eastern US countrymates. How embarrassing!
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was always taught the "white rules" don't apply in the tropics.
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
rosetattoo

I live in south Florida and wear white all year....during December and January I switch to "winter white" which is more of an off-white but wear white capris, slacks, shorts, all year round. I grew up in Connecticut and heaven forbid you should wear white after Labor Day but in south Florida, anything goes.
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Donna T

Thanks for all the info. Did I mention that the white stuff goes really well with my white legs!!!! Hubby says he needs the sunglasses because of the glare off my legs. Well, next trip I'm still packing my white jeans and capris, the white shorts will stay home. I do feel much better now knowing what's ok.
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM
nelstwo

Wear your whites year-round on a cruise. Down here in FLA we wear it all the time, but I just can't bring myself to don white shoes... apart from my Keds and even those make me feel bobo.

1/2 nelson
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Admiral

If you actually wear "white after Labour Day" (north of the Mason-Dixon line of course) what happens to you? Do you get arrested or shunned or do people put some kind of mark on your door lol? I think you should wear what you want providing it is neat, tidy and clean. Anything but naked - can't iron out those wrinkles.

Donna T - about the white legs. Nice thing about vacationing in a sunny climate - they "pink up" really nice, then they peel. Just can't win lol

TTFN Jennifer
Old July 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
H and A

The whole white after labor day is very passe'. Most fashion critics.magazines now say that the idea of white after labor day is an obsolete view.
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Believe me you'll be fine - southern areas or tropical areas wear light colors all year. We have seen mostly white or light in all our Cruises on variety of people and ages.
Not to worry. Just take what looks good for you and enjoy!
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM
convert

If they don't wear white after Labor Day, what on earth does Matlock do?
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Im opting for tan, biege or taupe as a white replacement. Still light but not white. Ditto for shoes a tan pair will work with almost anything. And tan day hiker can replace the white gym shoes that scream tourist, I do like my keds though...
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Default Vogue...

Okay, the official line on white is that you can wear it all year round. I was reading that in Vogue the other day. I live in the south though and I am afraid that I will have to explain that to everyone who says something to me for wearing white after Labor Day!
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Passenger

Default In the south

I live in the south and we pretty much wear white whenever we want. I think the color rule was made because of the weather change - You don't wear white in the winter. With warm climates it really doesn't apply, because white is a summer color.
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Donna,

I live in New England and most people don't wear white after Labor Day and not until after Easter. Do people in the southern states/caribbean wear white all year long? Just wanted to hear opinions from people who live in these areas to see if they wear white clothing all year round.

I would like to pack white shorts/jeans but don't want to stand out like a tourist, even though I am. I don't want to pack something I won't wear.

White formalwear generally is for warm weather because it reflects heat, whereas dark clothing absorbs heat. Here in New England, the guideline of "between Easter and Labor Day" generally fits the principle of wearing white in warm weather, though "between 01 May and 30 September" probably would be more precise in the Boston area. In or near the tropics, white is proper all year because the weather is warm. Generally, the closer to the tropics you go, the longer the season in which white clothing is proper. Note, also, that the season for white clothing is flipped in the southern hemisphere, where the summer months are December, January, and February.

Norm.
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

We usually wear white until the offical first day of fall-(Sept.21) but we continue to wear summer clothing as long as it is hitting above 80. I normally put away my summer stuff the last week in Oct.

Here my Mom always told me I could wear white shoes again after Easter. I have read other posts from northern states who said no white after Labor Day or before Memorial Day-so I guess you get to wear white about 6 weeks earlier then some states.

I am from Georgia. Here it starts hitting 90 in May and this continues through Sept. In Oct. we still have 80 degree weather most of the time-though we usually have a frost for a couple of days and thenit willheat up again. This year it did not frost until about a week ago so it is only now that you see the kudzu turning brown and dying back for the winter.

In the caribbean it will normally hit 90 still even in Dec./Feb. so there is no reason not to wear your white. You see a WHOLE LOT of white on the cruiseships.

This reminds me of one year I went to Niagara Falls and Toronto Canada in August. I did not bring a sweather or wrap with me-I did not think I would need one. Boy was I surprised. The first souveniors I bought were sweat shirts. they sure felt good in the evening.

I guess we need to remember those rules of dress were made for comfort more then what is "proper". dress for comfort.

One thing though 2 years ago when we went to Cozumel in DEC. there was a cold front that went through-it did not even make 70 and nights were like 40. Two days earlier in Grand Cayman it was 95. So remember to bring a jacket and a couple of pairs of slacks with you for just in case. With the weather we just never know for sure.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Donna...I'm from Massachussets and "White" only applies to shoes.

Shorts are fine , so are tennis shoes, slacks...etc..

The white rule was intended for womens shoes...nothing else.

With the invention of tennis shoes/ sneakers that rule has been restricted to formal and dailt dress attire not casual wear. So wear ALL the white you what...its okay.....Actuall a white FORMAL dress in the caribbean is stunning, so is a white dinner jacket with a white shirt, black bow tie and slacks...

Go for it!

Dave
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
kookylabooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by H and A
The whole white after labor day is very passe'. Most fashion critics.magazines now say that the idea of white after labor day is an obsolete view.
So true ! That old fashoned notion,like many others, needs to go away.Also,I live in Florida so white is a year around thing.
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Yeoman

I live in South Florida -- but grew up in New England.

I never wear white shoes after Labor Day or before Memorial day!
Also, I put away my really bright-colored "summer" clothes around Labor Day -- including my white slacks, capris and shorts. I will take them on a cruise, though, regardless of what month I sail.

I change my clothes to darker colors for the fall/winter, and wear those things until April or so. Not necessarily "heavy" clothes like wool or wool blends -- just darker color things that are not summery looking.

If you go into any of the major department stores here -- Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Macy's -- they show mostly darker color clothing for fall/winter. Even Lily Pulitzer puts out darker colors for that time of year.

When I see someone in a bright flowered shirt and white pants at the mall in December, I think "snowbird."
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Uh oh
I guess people, or some people must think I'm a snowbird, too! I love white and wear it year round. Florida is hot most of the year. I do change my colors around the holidays, but that's just for fun!
Marty
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T

well Donna I live in Ga and yes I wear white after Labor day-often it is still hitting in the 90's until mid-October where I live. I also know most Floridians say they wear white year round but then it only gets below 80 in the Dec. to Feb. there at least in the southern part of FL.

Now we would not wear white shoes say after Sept. but we would wear them again Easter Sunday and after that-that was the old rules for the area I live at-NOW everyone just does what they want and no one goes by those rules anymore. I often see idiots in shorts in late Nov. when it is hitting like 55-maybe 60 at the most! Not me! too cool then!

I do know on another cruise messageboard this one woman from NY who says she works in the fashion industry (I have my doubts) she claims everywhere in the world you do not "properly" wear white after Labor Day.

I posted back to her and asked her if that was true-then what do people in Paris-the world's fashion capitol do since Labor Day is an AMERICAN holiday-was their rule after Sept.1? Or what do people do who live in Australia do since they have summer when we have winter?

It was so funny-this lady from Scotland answered that they had no "white" rules-that when it got cold you put away your summer wear and pulled out your "woolies"and she assumed that was true of Paris also!

This same poor woman also says no velvet in the caribbean-even in the winter-although another post who lives in Puerto Rico has corrected her several times saying they have velvet in their stores and they wear it-even though it is 75-85 degrees outside in December!

So wear your white on your winter cruise and if you choose to wear a velvet gown on formal night-that is acceptable also! I think anyone with good sense dresses for the weather and not the calendar.
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Admiral

As I posted elswhere:

How old are you people anyway?

Even my 92 year old mother agrees that the Labor Day rule went out years and years ago.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Yeoman

I guess I must be 93 then!

I live in South Florida and we have plenty of cool days in the fall.
Last winter we had temps in the 30s many nights!

If you shop in our stores down here, you will see that clothing is seasonal here too.
Right now there are sales on bathing suits and all the summer shorts, shirts, etc.
Fall merchandise is coming in, and it's fairly dark colors -- no bright flowery prints in hot pinks and yellows.

Most everyone I know changes wardrobes come September or October and goes for the darker-color "winter" wear until April or so.

But our visitors all arrive in shorts and sandals and Hawaiian-print shirts!
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I guess I must be 93 then!

I live in South Florida and we have plenty of cool days in the fall.

If you shop in our stores down here, you will see that clothing is seasonal here too.
Right now there are sales on bathing suits and all the summer shorts, shirts, etc.
Fall merchandise is coming in, and it's fairly dark colors -- no bright flowery prints in hot pinks and yellows.

Most everyone I know changes wardrobes come September or October and goes for the darker-color "winter" wear until April or so.

But our visitors all arrive in shorts and sandals and Hawaiian-print shirts!
Yeah but you South Floridians think anything below 75 is frigid .

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Fruitcake,

That would be Celsius?

Norm.
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yeoman

No ... 30 degrees F.
There were actual freeze warnings down here, and some crops were damaged in the western areas of the county.

Doug: I draw the line at 70! If it goes below that, I get a jacket or sweater!
I grew up in New England, lived in Mass. and NH. Also lived in NE Ohio many years.
But once I moved to Fla., I became a weenie!!!