Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Default Hose or No Hose

Okay I am sure this has been debated in length but I have to ask..I have two black dresses for formal night with pretty ruffle edged sandals and I have always worn pantyhose with my dresses....one dress is halter style and the other is sleeveless,would you wear pantyhose with these dresses or not and if so why or why not?Also was thinking maybe fishnet stockings to go with the halter dress...any advice would be great....thanks
kitty

Jewel of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Hose or No Hose

This is just me, but I would have to wear hose on a formal evening. I would however not wear them for a casual night with sandals, thats fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:31 PM
Andee

For me, it would depend on the length of the dress.

If it was around knee length, i'd wear hose, as I don't think my legs are nice. If it was mid-calf length or longer, I'd wear the sandals with no hose because so little of my legs would be showing.
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Well, I guess I'm showing my age here, but I wear the knee high "fancy" hose with my formal outfits. My dress is long so who's going to know what's under it, except my DH?

I just find pantyhose too hot for the Caribbean. I agree with Donna, no hose for casual nights.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Admiral

I always have the same questions when deciding what "hose" to wear - with sandals! Do you wear light coloured ones so you look like you're not wearing any - or do you wear darker ones or black ones with black sandals,. TTFN Jennifer
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:16 PM
cruisingrandma

I just bought a pair of black sandles for my casual nites of cruising. I plan on capri's or dress pants and a nice top for those nites and the black sandles will be great. No Panty hose for those nites anyways... But the nites with the formal dresses i will wear the panty hose. But they r very hot to wear... Happy cruising.......
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

No hose for me. I would go out of my way to buy clothes that I don't need to wear hose with. They are just to uncomfortable with my larger body. I can't imagine that many people looking at my legs anyhow.

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

i prefer to wear hose with my formal outfits. Eventhough your dress is black i would not wear black hose with sandals, i would opt for an ultra sheer natural tone.
Most fashionistas will tell you that hose and sandals is a no-no. Its all about your own level of comfort. If you have really nice legs and paint your toenails, i don't see why you couldn't go without hose, especially if your dress is long.
I also think that hose is a good idea if your dress is form-fitting- it gives a cleanline
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Beginner

Thigh-highs work well, you don't have the uncomfortable feeling of tight panyhose. I agree with the idea of not wearing them with sandals unless they are ultra sheer.
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:31 AM
First Mate

this will be my first cruise in feb ( winter month ) to the sunny beach area. i am going to be in the tanning bed at least 3 months before the cruise plus a great pedicure and have my toe nails polished, so i will have no need to hide or make my legs or toes too look better. i am not planning on wearing any hose on this cruise. i will have on strappy nice formal shoes for formal night and other nice sandels for regular wear and on the beach . if i have a great tan already i see no need for the hose. but this is just me. others have different opinions.

Old August 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Ol age - cold feet - need hose lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Yeoman

If my dress is long enough, I skip the hose and go with knee highs (just be sure they dont slip down!). If youre tan enough, you could probably get away without any too. I was always "taught" that for a clean line which makes you look taller and better, the dress, nylons, and shoes should all be the same color (or close to it).

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:51 PM
SusieG

Default Re: Re: Hose or No Hose

I have 2 dresses one is longer and one is a littler shorter- knee length maybe.. but I am going with out panty hoses too and just some sandals...
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

I am on vacation and sun tanning every day so I never bring hose! I think bare naked legs look the greatest but that is just me! Have fun no matter what you choose!
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I refuse to wear hose on a cruise. No way, no how. They are hot and uncomfortable and I am not doing it. They make my legs look better and I may look dressier, but I positively, absolutely refuse. I won't even wear knee highs.
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM
missoz

Hose are not particularly "in" right now. You really don't see anyone wearing them anymore even the stars on the red carpet of the most formal events don't wear hose with their Prada and Versace. As for the smoother line...they make lots of "slimmers" now that are designed to smooth your imperfections while still affording a nice bare leg. Of course, if you have leg issues a nice sheer hose would be okay. I agree with skipping them for sure with open toe shoes. And if your legs are too pale use a sunless tanner. Definitely get the pedi before hand also.

my two cents...not that it's worth that much
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
kubies

I agree with many of the previous responses. Calf length or longer, no hose is ok with sandals IF one has a nice pedicure! I prefer to wear hose, however, when I am formally dressed. Fashion mavens believe that one should wear the sheerest possible, sandal foot hose in nude.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Here is another option for bare legs looks great with a tan (fake or real) buy one of those shimmer body lotions, apply to entire body you will gleam and look flawless, this is what I do. Also I went to my cousin's wedding in the summer I wore nude hose when I got there it seemed none of the lady's were wearing any and my sandals were slipping do to the pantyhose so I went in the bathroom and took them off.
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Hose and sandals are a no-no. If you must wear hose, then I'd find some closed toe shoes. Sandals and a great pedicure is a great look.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
Passenger

Ok Ladies, if anyone feels that they must wear hose, PLEASE wear closed toe shoes!! I can't even believe anyone would consider otherwise!

If you want to wear open toed shoes, show off a pretty pedicure and wear a longer dress to hide your legs if you don't like them.