Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM
NW

Default Mercury - Informal Nights - dress code

I'm comfortable with the dress code on formal nights. I have no problem wearing a tux all night but the informal nights dont seem to match the description in the brochure/web site.

We went on Royal Caribbean last year and the description for informal nights was the same as for Celebrity -

'On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks'.

I was the only person wearing a suit and quickly went back to change. Most of the other guest had casual wear on (mostly Hawaiian shirts!). I'd carried an suit half way round the world for nothing.

Is it the same on Mercury or do men wear suits on informal nights.

How casual are the casual nights. Again on Royal Caribbean people wore jean to dinner on the casual nights even though the dinning room rules stated no jeans.

Part of the fun of cruising is dressing up and I was very disappointed by this. Is the dress code higher on Mercury.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX
Default Re: Mercury - Informal Nights - dress code

I was on the Mercury May 27th sailing.A lot of the men wore sports coats,but I dont think the ones wearing only dress shirt and slacks felt uncomfortable.My hubby wore jacket,my brother didnt...
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Formal and casual are easy to define... I think informal should be called semi-formal. On the Mercury last January, for informal nights, I wore either a knee length dressy-dress or velvet pants with a beaded top. Most men that I saw wore a jacket and tie, and removed the jacket for dinner. Some just wore a shirt and tie, no jacket. If you're traveling with a woman, I'd suggest that you dress to complement her outfit. If she's wearing something a little more dressy (like I prefer to do) on those nights, then wear the jacket. If she's more of a casual dresser... go for just the tie or wear nice slacks and one of those collarless men's dress shirts so you can't wear a tie. lol My dh doesn't cruise... but I take our two teenage sons. This is what they do... Formal night: dark suit, white shirt, tie, dress shoes. Informal: suit pants, shirt (color), tie, dress shoes. Casual: chinos/khakis, polo shirt, sneakers. I did not see jeans in the dining room... not once.

HTH, Stacy
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Admiral

I would pack nice dress pants, shirt, tie and a sportsjacket for Informal Nights on a Celebrity cruise.