Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Default Formal Night - Teenagers

Are Teens also required wear a suit (or tux) on formal night? I would think so, but having a son who hates to dress up I wanted feedback to prove my point.
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Formal Night - Teenagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm05
Are Teens also required wear a suit (or tux) on formal night? I would think so, but having a son who hates to dress up I wanted feedback to prove my point.
Yes - everyone is required ti adhere to the dress code, and the older they are the more important it is. I do see a rebellious teen here & there, but they do look out of place. It is always a nice touch when the teens take some pride in looking good.

By the way - the teenage young ladies usually love to dress up, and they look great. It's the young men who don't want to play along, but you can tell him that the girls LOVE seeing their guy in a suit or a tux - and that's the truth.
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Yes the dress code applies to everyone regardless of age.
Teenage young men are a strange breed when it comes to getting dressed up. They will resisit, "I don't want to wear a tie!!" but as soon as they see the entire ensemble put together there is a total attitude change, its"hey i look pretty sharp" or is the word they use now "fly" Top that off with a comment from Mom or Dad that girls like it when you get all dressed-up , no battle. Mom/Dad score!!!
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Teens are still required to follow the suggested dress code. A tux on most lines is not needed but a suit and tie is a good substitute. Teach your kids while they are still young when to dress for the occasion. If they are a bit older and into girls, point out the fact how good they will look to the young ladies on the cruise.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Have your teen take a look at things like the MTV Music Awards or the Grammys. "Most" of the people may not be dressed in the classic tuxedo but they are dressed up. Have him take a page from that. Dressing for the occasion is still proper etiquette.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

What cruiseline? On Carnival (Elation, Inspiration and Conquest), most teenage boys didn't wear a jacket, but did wear dress pants, dress shirt and tie, and dress shoes. And, most changed into their casual clothes right after dinner. I have 2 teen boys and they've been on 3 cruises. From the first one, I just told them what was expected as far as dress (and, I go as far as not letting them pack any jeans or t shirts------it's nice to see them in neat clothes for an entire week!). You pay for the cruise, they abide by the rules. And, don't forget the family formal picture for the wall.

Have a fun time!
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Guess I just lucked out, because on the 3 Carnival cruises I've been on, most teen boys DID wear jackets.

On our last cruise, my teen son (looking sharp in his suit) and his friends dressed up for formal night and all had a picture taken together on the atrium staircase. It's a BEAUTIFUL picture I will treasure forever.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've seen quite a few teenage boys on both Princess and Carnival without a jacket. Dress pants, shirt and tie seems to work well.