Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Admiral

Default What to pack for December cruise

Hi Im going to San Juan, St. Thomas, Nassau and Dominican Republic in early December, for those of you who have cruised to any of these ports in winter months how was the weather? Im not sure if I should be packing long sleeves, or short, jeans, shorts or both? Sweaters and sweatshirts and what weight jacket. I get cold easily in ships air conditioning but I've read that Costa ships tend to be warm. I went on Carnival in April and froze on the ship (below decks) even with jacket and long sleeves, but the ports were hot and humid. Please advise
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Beginner

Well being a Floridian, I like it warm. December and January are the two months here where you will find cooler/cold temps. So when you pull out of Miami, you could very well find yourself in 60 degree temps and strong wind - you will need a jacket. (Or, it could be 80. You just never know until the time comes.)

As far as in the Caribbean, it will likely be warm. I was in St. Thomas last December and it was very hot and humid. San Juan, being nearby, was about the same. I did find it cool on deck when the ship was moving fast in the northern areas of the journey. Maybe you will-maybe you won't.

So I'd say you should have a jacket/windbreaker anyway. Then maybe a long sleeved shirt or two for when/if you need it sometimes, but it will be mostly warm, even hot, even in December. But do be ready for cooler temps leaving Miami.

Andre
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Admiral

We usually cruise in early January from Ft.Lauderdale and it can be on the cool side, especially at night. Its warm enough to wear shorts in the daytime, but i wear khakis a jersey and a sweater or zip-front sweatshirt at night. The first day of your cruise might be a bit on the chilly side with the ocean breeze. Once you hit the islands chances are it will be nice and warm, even hot and muggy. I do not bring jeans of any kind on a Caribbean cruise, but that's just me. I will bring a nice lacy sweater to wear over my dresses, i have a wrap for my evening wear, and i would suggest you pack a nice cotton or linen blazer to wear over your slacks. My dress blouses are silk and long-sleeve, everything else is either short or sleeveless.