Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Familiar Face

Default What's needed for a New Year's Caribbean cruise?

What's the weather like in the Western Caribbean at New Year's? I'm considering going on Cruisemates '06 New Year's cruise, but I need more info about the weather - do I need shorts or long pants and a jacket? is it too cold to enjoy a balcony cabin? My idea of cold: anything that requires more than a lightweight sweater (I adore the hot weather of the desert). Weather's a big factor in when and where I cruise, and I'll never get to see the beauty of an Alaskan cruise because it's too cold. So, please help me out here.
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Hi BTC,

IMO, go for it! It will be very warm, probably in the 80's and 90's, from our experience on our New Year's cruise last year. The only place I needed a sweater was on the ship in the dining room and show lounge !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I'm typically cold when no one around me is cold, so.....

I bring a sweater and light weight jacket no matter WHEN I cruise. I freeze to death on the inside of the ship, but it should be pleasantly warm outside. You can go to wunderground.com and check out average temps for anywhere in the world.

When ds and I cruised in January to the Bahamas the weather was warm - high 70's low 80's, but the water a bit too cold for my taste. Western Caribbean should be fine for both, I'd think.

So if you DO book the cruise of the century, look for me - I'll be the one in the sweater!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

The Western Caribbean is gorgeous in early January. Ft.Lauderdale and the Bahamas can be a bit on chilly side. We did wear shorts during the daytime but needed lightweight pants and a sweater for the evenings. Didn't swim in Nassau - too chilly. Once you start heading west it warms up very very nicely. It was nice and warm during the day time, to sun and swim, the islands were actually hot and muggy.
I always pack a lightweight sweater to throw over my shoulders at dinner and shows, i have a wrap for my formal wear.
Definately dress for summer weather.