Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tuxedo Rental on ship?

Hi. Does anyone know if cruise lines really do have tuxedo rentals? I thought I heard that my cruise line does (Holland America) but I don't know how to go about setting it up. Is there truth to this or is it complete bunk? I could certainly rent a tuxedo myself, but then I have to try and transport it and Holland America prefers suitcases only.

I posed this question in the HAL forum and got nowhere-maybe the seasoned HAL cruisers already owned their own tuxes. So any help or insight would be appreciated.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Hi seattleguy37,

Here's what I found on the HAL web-site:

"On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board. "

I found it here:
http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests...opic=dressCode

Hope it's helpful to you.

Have a great cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Beginner

I can't answer specifically about HAL, but here's something to consider:

It will likely run you about $100 all-told to rent a tux for your two formal nights on a 7-day cruise.

You can BUY the complete outfit at JC Penny (as one example) for about $150. So if you at all think you might ever have the need to rent another tux, you're better off buying one now and having one that fits you well and that ONLY YOU'VE worn. By your name, you live in Seattle, which has a great Opera company - a tux is great for that (if you do opera).

Since your interested in wearing a tux, that's my advice.

Andre
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Admiral

you will get all the rental information in your information package that comes with your final documents. All you need to do is to go to a local tux rental place, get Accurate measurements, send in the information.
Your fresh tux will arrive in your stateroom on formal night. You will get 2 cleaned and pressed shirts. The tuxes are good quality and classic style.